Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
The other guy is the son of a coworker. He jumped into marriage with a girl a few weeks ago, whom he had been dating on and off for a few years. This girl is complete trash. She lives off of Government welfare, refuses to get a job, and has 2 kids from 2 different guys...
Uh, if they are married, and he earns above poverty-level wages, she can no longer collect welfare. They need to correct that pronto; wouldn't want your friend caught up in welfare-fraud. She should, however, still receive child support from the fathers of her children.

Quote:
IMO, if you TRULY believe "you can't do any better", wouldn't it be better to just be SINGLE?
Totally agree. Sometimes, some people need longer time on this planet before they realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
My first guess would be low self esteem.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Uh, if they are married, and he earns above poverty-level wages, she can no longer collect welfare. They need to correct that pronto; wouldn't want your friend caught up in welfare-fraud. She should, however, still receive child support from the fathers of her children.
I don't think she knows who the fathers of her children are. I told ya, she's trashy

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
I think it is the broken wing syndrome.

I too had a real nice christian woman who showed interest in me the same time I met my now wife. My wife was on welfare and had a son from a guy she hardly knew. Guess who I chose? Yeah....dumby me. I took the gal who was in the most need of help. : smack:

You would think I would have enough sense to say to myself that I won't be happy with the extra burden of her kids Daddy and such but I overlooked that. I saw she was finishing her degree and was working hard. I kept making excuses for her. I kept saying to myself that I can't hold her having a kid and such against her.

Guys want to help the poor ones. I wouldn't say I have said I couldn't do better. I was very capable of getting some really nice gals. I guess I just lacked good judgement when it came to finding a good marriage mate.

A shout out to all those family members that kept quiet about who I was marrying. Thanks ya all.

Quote:
I've heard two guys say this phrase in the last week, and I am so completely annoyed...

Over the weekend I had lunch with an acquaintance whose fiancee had just broken off their engagement two weeks prior. He was having a rough time with things, specifically trying to win her back, because he believed it wasn't over. The thing that got me was how he described his ex-SO. She has depression, diabetes, and is suicidal. All 3 things she does nothing to fix. She lives at home with her parents and is under no care for any of her medical conditions. I was absolutely floored by the fact that he would even consider marrying someone with issues like that. It's one thing to have them, but another to NOT do anything to take care of them. His reasoning? "I don't think I can do any better."

The other guy is the son of a coworker. He jumped into marriage with a girl a few weeks ago, whom he had been dating on and off for a few years. This girl is complete trash. She lives off of Government welfare, refuses to get a job, and has 2 kids from 2 different guys who she throws on her family to take care of, she is a druggie, smokes a few packs a day, and sits home and watches TV 24/7. Why did he marry her? "I can't do any better."

IMO, if you TRULY believe "you can't do any better", wouldn't it be better to just be SINGLE? Why would these guys settle for girls like this? I can't understand what they get out of it. Any thoughts?

By the way, both of these guys are outstanding men. They are hard working, respectful people, who deserve to be with a real woman.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 AM

20,726 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
Below a certain age range, there's an effective shortage of women because a small percentage of very good looking guys are juggling 2-3-4 women at a time in various types of relationships, taking those women off the market.

It's similar to most of the animal kingdom, just less extreme.

End of story.
Hi mwv,

Its also a factor. Some men can tie up several women. I knew one who said he had 5 when I was a chump 20 year old driving a delivery van. Women can tie up a few men but I suspect its less. Also, again, women in the 20-30 age range have men of all ages after them. The first bump in the road is in the 30s when women do not necessarily lose attraction but men are aware of the "biological clock". Also attraction is not just about looks, but baggage. Many good looking 40 year olds have kids, a past, you name it. A 25 year old is a clean slate relatively speaking. Seems like women like experience and men like a clean slate a bit more.
Still it should be only a blunt effect. I do know a few men I work with who just don't date. They are near 40. One is good looking, tall and makes an above average salary. I am thinking gay. The other is just an introvert.
If I had it to do over again, I would seek favorable micro climates. Just because the population is skewed does not mean favorable sex ratios cannot be found. Pick up basket ball games at the Y were a blast but not where I expected to find a nice girl.

To the OP: Tell them to leave the basket cases at home and take up ball room dancing. Yes I know ,fishing for cut throat was their first idea. They will catch only fish.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I think it is the broken wing syndrome.

I too had a real nice christian woman who showed interest in me the same time I met my now wife. My wife was on welfare and had a son from a guy she hardly knew. Guess who I chose? Yeah....dumby me. I took the gal who was in the most need of help. : smack:

You would think I would have enough sense to say to myself that I won't be happy with the extra burden of her kids Daddy and such but I overlooked that. I saw she was finishing her degree and was working hard. I kept making excuses for her. I kept saying to myself that I can't hold her having a kid and such against her.

Guys want to help the poor ones. I wouldn't say I have said I couldn't do better. I was very capable of getting some really nice gals. I guess I just lacked good judgement when it came to finding a good marriage mate.

A shout out to all those family members that kept quiet about who I was marrying. Thanks ya all.
Hi funymann,

Marriage and charity don't mix. You should get that word out. Hope things work out some how.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I don't think she knows who the fathers of her children are. I told ya, she's trashy
Hi MAtheBanker,

Maybe you can drag him some where and slap him around a bit to get his senses. You are a women. Maybe you know where normal woman are and he can see for himself? If it does not work then you need to accept he has his own dysfunction.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi MAtheBanker,

Maybe you can drag him some where and slap him around a bit to get his senses. You are a women. Maybe you know where normal woman are and he can see for himself? If it does not work then you need to accept he has his own dysfunction.
The point of me starting this thread was not to try to change the guys I am referring to, but to try to understand why they think the way they do. Both guys are acquaintances, I have no right to intrude, no do I have any interest in trying to change them.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The point of me starting this thread was not to try to change the guys I am referring to, but to try to understand why they think the way they do. Both guys are acquaintances, I have no right to intrude, no do I have any interest in trying to change them.
Hi MAtheBanker,

OK. I think its a provider instinct going bad. Have you ever seen Dudley Do-Right? There are lots of themes to this including this spoof of women in peril soft erotica. As said above , credit funnyman, "broken wing".

Edit: I just noticed she is interested in the horse. Those guys were brilliant.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
And who are we to judge?
Happiness for some is total confusion for others so what.
None of us have that make believe yellow brick road to happiness.
Just an observation and an opinion with no disrespect intended to anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships