Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,729,518 times

Advertisements

Being alone is always better than being miserable. As you said, though, florida, this doesn't mean you are always alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
I had what I considered a "charmed" marriage, for 23 years, we would pat ourselves on the backs when we heard of people breaking up and divorcing and assume we had done something right. Then my H decided he wasn't so happy afterall and the next 5 years were horrible. Now we are divorcing. Since then I have leaned on a couple close friends, who also have long term marriages, only to discover that things with them are not how they appear and their marriages are in worse shape than mine ever was. The difference is that their husbands arent' leaving. I honestly think that's the key to a lifetime marriage...DON'T LEAVE. People who are married forever and stay in love are few and far between. And very very lucky.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:34 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,378,176 times
Who cares how many times you get divorced. The more times you do it the more alimony you collect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I had what I considered a "charmed" marriage, for 23 years, we would pat ourselves on the backs when we heard of people breaking up and divorcing and assume we had done something right. Then my H decided he wasn't so happy afterall and the next 5 years were horrible. Now we are divorcing. Since then I have leaned on a couple close friends, who also have long term marriages, only to discover that things with them are not how they appear and their marriages are in worse shape than mine ever was. The difference is that their husbands arent' leaving. I honestly think that's the key to a lifetime marriage...DON'T LEAVE. People who are married forever and stay in love are few and far between. And very very lucky.
Many ppl don't realize it but there is a time limit even for many successful marriages. It's usually around the 20 year mark. The only ppl who can stay married for a lifetime are those willing to suffer each other.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:44 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Many ppl don't realize it but there is a time limit even for many successful marriages. It's usually around the 20 year mark. The only ppl who can stay married for a lifetime are those willing to suffer each other.
So, basically all people generally suck. Eh, I won't argue that, tho, some are worse than others. Of course, worldview comes into play, in that are you a glass half full or glass half empty type of personality. Something that makes me suffer wouldn't necessarily make you suffer and vice versa.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,418,687 times
Every marriage is in effect a compromise. What are you willing to tolerate to stay? The best ones I've seen are nearly effortless. The worst......2 people sitting around hoping the other one dies first. Your first post was quite a rant. You brought up a lot of issues. Your second? Calmer and much more thought out. You answered a lot of your own questions when you talked to your friends, and learned that sometimes marriages that look great from the outside really aren't, and sometimes ones that look terrible from without actually work, because that's how those 2 relate. The absolute #1 priority is this: Are you happy? You love your husband, (in a way) you said. So if you aren't happy....tell him why...and give it a chance to work out with both of you working on it. He deserves that. If he's the problem and he won't change? You have to decide if this is how you want to spend the rest of your life.

One other thing. Vent if you have to. But try to vent to those that will listen only, not those that will try to make a decision for you. Only you can do that.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Who cares how many times you get divorced. The more times you do it the more alimony you collect.

I really feel sorry for some of you people

Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,889,547 times
Quote:
I have had this discussion many times with a girlfriend of mine. She's studied Sociology for years and also does not believe that people are meant to be exclusively with one person for the rest of their lives. She said it isn't human nature to do so, and it hardly ever works out for two people to be actually happy or content long term. If like you say two people decide to stay together no matter what, and down the road become companions rather than lovers, or mates, then that is a different story.

I know a couple like this actually. Their daughter is a close friend and she told me they use to argue like cats and dogs. Then one day they just stopped, they get a long fine, never talk about divorce, but they just "are". There is no romance or anything resembling it, they put up with each other as is. So basicly, there isn't anything left to argue about.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
I can imagine not being married to my waife. my motther and father were married 60 years and my wife for over 60 years.I thnik tehre are some people who shopuld amrry and other that should. But tehn I also thnik the same people that should marry rarely have lifew lo0ng friends from what I have observed.Now that I am older; I see too many lonely older men and women.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:09 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I have had this discussion many times with a girlfriend of mine. She's studied Sociology for years and also does not believe that people are meant to be exclusively with one person for the rest of their lives. She said it isn't human nature to do so, and it hardly ever works out for two people to be actually happy or content long term. If like you say two people decide to stay together no matter what, and down the road become companions rather than lovers, or mates, then that is a different story.
Maybe it's a matter of some people not being able to be happy and content long term on their own regardless of a mate. I say this while thinking of some of my family members. A few of them are just unhappy people. They also have unhappy relationships, but if they were to be single it wouldn't change anything. Well, maybe that's not true. Two miserable people is worse than one. Point being, for a happy marriage, both need to be psychologically and emotionally fit. Perhaps those odds are wanting.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,729,518 times
It can be very difficult to live with the same person day after day after day. Spaces in a marriage are a very good thing.

I just got back from a tour. Two couples were celebrating their 61st and 62nd anniversaries! I can't say they looked all too happy. One woman was miserable, and her husband tuned her out; the other couple never smiled and rarely spoke to each other.

There was another couple - probably married about 50 - 55 years who really liked each other, always smiling, outgoing and friendly. They had six kids together and many grandchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships