Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM

50 posts, read 65,603 times

Advertisements

So its not "nice" of me that, I don't encourage my wife to view herself as a piece of meat, but instead encourage her to develop herself to her full capacity as a human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,273,522 times
No, whats not "nice" is that you do it in the most manipulative, controlling way possible.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
No, whats not "nice" is that you do it in the most manipulative, controlling way possible.
How is it manipulative and controlling?

I value her as a human being, not as a woman. She is a dear friend to me, rather than a wife.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,273,522 times
The fact is, she is a woman, and she is your wife. You seem to have married her not for who she is, but for who you thought you could turn her into. Now that you have caught some flack for it (from some vague group of radical feminists), you don't find her to be convenient anymore. Let her make her own decisions about how she wants to be.

You say that you decry all of the power struggles between men and women, but you approach your relationship as if it were something for you to design and control, not a two-person equal partnership. That is quite hypocritical.

Some of the things I have heard you say are quite possibly the most misogynistic statements I have heard in a long time.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM

I want to know why you think our friendship is abusive, and how I control and manipulate her.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:32 PM

So you never pay her a simple compliment...

Thats not true. I never compliment her on features that oppress her. I never reinforce male chauvinism and her subordinate position. I never compliment her as a piece of meat. I have no problem praising her as a human and as a friend.

You tell her to go ahead and leave, it won't affect you at all...

This is for her benefit. So that she knows she does not harm me should she decide to leave, many men use "need" as a way of forcing keeping their wives attached to their relationship.

You remind her of your desire to sleep with other women...

This is not true. Monogamy has been historically on for women, there has always been open marriage for men. Look at all the tragedies that result from the jealousy of men. This is to let her know that I do not posses her like property. My proposal was not so that I could sleep with other women, but so she would know that I would not have any jealous feelings toward her.

And you try to convince her that it is all for her own good...

Many of the classic earmarks of an abusive relationship

Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,516,351 times
One question. Why is your wife not posting here?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,665,791 times
WoW, this thread is just WW

I feel bad for not catching on the entertainment since afternoon.

I find these words truly disturbing now.

"traditional"

"new woman"

I feel compelled to rescue this lady from this abuse.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 PM

378 posts, read 1,204,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
So you never pay her a simple compliment...

You tell her to go ahead and leave, it won't affect you at all...

You remind her of your desire to sleep with other women...

And you try to convince her that it is all for her own good...

Many of the classic earmarks of an abusive relationship.
Agreed. I find myself feeling sad for her, and hoping you just made this thread up. Sounds like a lot of b.s. to me.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
WoW, this thread is just WW

I feel bad for not catching on the entertainment since afternoon.

I find these words truly disturbing now.

"traditional"

"new woman"

I feel compelled to rescue this lady from this abuse.
I tried to draw as much out of the OP as I could, truly, truly disturbing, I am sure a psychiatrist would have an interesting diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships