Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,740 times

Advertisements

So, as I do every weekend, I ventured several hours south into the unrelenting country to work on my house. When I first started several month ago, it was little more than a decrepit ramshackle hut; a tiny shotgun house with crackling white paint and dilapidated floorboards.

Last year, my uncle offered me the house, along with six acres of land. At first, I declined. I'm a city boy, having lived my life in places like Tampa and Miami, Chicago and Dallas. The chaos and excitement of city life always enthralled me; the dark swanky jazz clubs, the rush of hurried people rushing to catch the next bus or train, the flickering lights of the majestic towers as they reached out to touch the sky..

Needless to say, with much persuasion, he finally won me over. Since that day, I have made it my goal to rebuild that house and create a life for myself down there.

That's all very interesting, I'm sure, but why have I decided to post this in the relationships forum?

Well, during my time down there I happened to meet a most charming lady. I use the word charming loosely, as, at times she can be as a raging river, but there are other moments where she is as serene as a glassy lake.

This past weekend, I invited her to my less than illustrious abode. I stood there, my fingers trembling in trepidation, whispering silent prayers that she would approve. Wordlessly, she scanned the house... and then her eyes roved over my ragged patch of land and settled off somewhere in the distance. Finally, she turned to me and smiled, and I knew that she approved.

We spent the next two days together, and during that time I learned more about love than I could have ever imagined. It's the simple things in life that matter. We spend all our days rushing about that sometimes we lost focus on these simple things. Sometimes, despite all that needs to be done, despite those rushing demands that life places upon us, we simply must sit back for a moment or two and just be.

I wanted to share a couple of these moments, and as that you do the same. I hope this thread helps people to slow down a little and realize all of the amazing things that happen every day around us.

These are the moments that shape our lives:

Her face was covered with dirt and sweat, and sawdust flaked her hair, but as she stood in the doorway, I had to stop and admire how beautiful she was. It is true what they say, beauty is more than skin deep.

She lost three nails, bent two, and it took several tries before she eventually drove that stubborn nail home, but that visage of pride she wore beamed through the entire house. I couldn't help but laugh; to her, it seemed like she had conquered the world.. to me, it was just a nail, but I knew she was proud of that one simple thing. It doesn't matter how well one does something, or how long it takes - what matters is that that person tried, and kept trying until they succeeded.

We held hands under a kaleidoscope sky, watching as the sickle moon arose to take her place among the stars. Sometimes, we say more with the mere moments of time we spend together than we could ever say with a billion well intentioned words.

I could go on, but I'll reign in my pointless ramblings here..

The point is, with so much going on in our lives, I hope everyone takes just a moment or two to stop and think about all the things that make our lives worth living. Everyday that I wake up, I realize that there's always something new...

I wish everyone the best..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
Where's the sex stuff? I kept reading and waiting and it never showed up!

All joking aside, I understand your thought. Those moments that are so simple and insignificant in the grand scheme of things but yet, they are so beautiful and incredible. You just feel so. . . alive.

Yeah, I love those moments. They just take your breath away again and again.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,785 times
You should write this on paper and give it to her. It's a beautiful love letter.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
For me, happiness is something else entirely. Moments like what you described can be achieved if I get drunk or take special pills. But in the end, moments like that don't make me happy. They bring joy once in a while, but they are so short and short-lived, I find them not special. It's like the things that are material and superficial that bring no value into my life, mean very little to me. They are easily forgotten. The things that bring me happiness are thoughts and creativity. The moments I have spent with ex boyfriends and friends, mean little when the relationship dies. What means something, are the positive permanent changes that take place on a soul level. If there are no positive changes, the events are forgotten and never even missed.

You mention details about this woman as if she will be remembered in 20 years. But if you are to have a falling out with her, the memories will fade and the moment will pass. So moments have no real value. What matters is what brings positivity on a permanent level.

Sorry if I this sounds far out, but I just wanted to share what happiness means to me. And your happiness is different than mine, and I don't have a problem with that at all. I say, if this is what brings you happiness, then have more fun and enjoy yourself grandly.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Its moments like that, that is where magic is, that is stuff memories are made of and will last a long time.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
For me, happiness is something else entirely. ...
I hear what you're sayin'.. and there's actually a lot of that that I agree with.

In those moments where you are most creative, I believe that those are magical as well.. as is those moments where our lives are changed because of something happening or someone coming into your life.

I believe that life is all about learning and growing, and each step that I take in that direction is magical, and even more amazing when I realize that I've hit one of those moments.

Sure, I may not know her 20 years from now, but the memories and those moments in time will always remain in some form. I guess, to tie it in a little with what you said a little, it was a time where I learned something of myself and of the world around me. Having always lived in the city, I realized that there are things that are beyond my experience - that it's alright to ask for help, that it's ok to sit back and relax a little bit.. These are things that I'll take with me for the rest of my life, whether or not I still know this girl.

I really like what you said here: "If there are no positive changes, the events are forgotten and never even missed....What matters is what brings positivity on a permanent level."

Even if we differ on some things, I agree completely with those statements.. Thanks for that!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Maybe you discovered true love. Time will tell.

I agree you need to send her what you have written. It's a great love letter and she deserves to know you hold this time in your heart as something very special.

Remodeling can be a bonding experience or a living hell. You may have hit the jackpot.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Greatness, thanks for sharing. Made me smile.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
So, as I do every weekend, I ventured several hours south into the unrelenting country to work on my house. When I first started several month ago, it was little more than a decrepit ramshackle hut; a tiny shotgun house with crackling white paint and dilapidated floorboards.

Last year, my uncle offered me the house, along with six acres of land. At first, I declined. I'm a city boy, having lived my life in places like Tampa and Miami, Chicago and Dallas. The chaos and excitement of city life always enthralled me; the dark swanky jazz clubs, the rush of hurried people rushing to catch the next bus or train, the flickering lights of the majestic towers as they reached out to touch the sky..

Needless to say, with much persuasion, he finally won me over. Since that day, I have made it my goal to rebuild that house and create a life for myself down there.

That's all very interesting, I'm sure, but why have I decided to post this in the relationships forum?

Well, during my time down there I happened to meet a most charming lady. I use the word charming loosely, as, at times she can be as a raging river, but there are other moments where she is as serene as a glassy lake.

This past weekend, I invited her to my less than illustrious abode. I stood there, my fingers trembling in trepidation, whispering silent prayers that she would approve. Wordlessly, she scanned the house... and then her eyes roved over my ragged patch of land and settled off somewhere in the distance. Finally, she turned to me and smiled, and I knew that she approved.

We spent the next two days together, and during that time I learned more about love than I could have ever imagined. It's the simple things in life that matter. We spend all our days rushing about that sometimes we lost focus on these simple things. Sometimes, despite all that needs to be done, despite those rushing demands that life places upon us, we simply must sit back for a moment or two and just be.

I wanted to share a couple of these moments, and as that you do the same. I hope this thread helps people to slow down a little and realize all of the amazing things that happen every day around us.

These are the moments that shape our lives:

Her face was covered with dirt and sweat, and sawdust flaked her hair, but as she stood in the doorway, I had to stop and admire how beautiful she was. It is true what they say, beauty is more than skin deep.

She lost three nails, bent two, and it took several tries before she eventually drove that stubborn nail home, but that visage of pride she wore beamed through the entire house. I couldn't help but laugh; to her, it seemed like she had conquered the world.. to me, it was just a nail, but I knew she was proud of that one simple thing. It doesn't matter how well one does something, or how long it takes - what matters is that that person tried, and kept trying until they succeeded.

We held hands under a kaleidoscope sky, watching as the sickle moon arose to take her place among the stars. Sometimes, we say more with the mere moments of time we spend together than we could ever say with a billion well intentioned words.

I could go on, but I'll reign in my pointless ramblings here..

The point is, with so much going on in our lives, I hope everyone takes just a moment or two to stop and think about all the things that make our lives worth living. Everyday that I wake up, I realize that there's always something new...

I wish everyone the best..
Would love to know your age (I have a theory...)

Your writing here shows the wisdom you have gained/are gaining on your journey through life - it's a pleasure to behold

Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Maybe you discovered true love. Time will tell.

I agree you need to send her what you have written. It's a great love letter and she deserves to know you hold this time in your heart as something very special.

Remodeling can be a bonding experience or a living hell. You may have hit the jackpot.

Good luck!
Maybe I've discovered true love, but then again, maybe I've just found a great friend. I don't know her well enough to call it love, and barely well enough to anything more than a great friendship.. Only Father Time knows those answers right now.

Besides, it would be a little weird to write someone a love letter before you've said those three heavy words.. I think anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Would love to know your age (I have a theory...)

Your writing here shows the wisdom you have gained/are gaining on your journey through life - it's a pleasure to behold
My age? ... umm.. hang on, let me do the math.

Seriously, I'm 31.. So now, what's your theory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships