Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
This would be a good debate. Some say the marriage can't survive it but they did for centuries. But in this case, it's another bedroom, not just another bed.
We have separate floors and manage quite well, thank-you . I think a little space is good for a relationship.

I don't think sleeping apart is the problem here. The problem, as I see it, is that she seems to be choosing the TV over her husband.

That sends the wrong message and must be a blow to his ego. They need to find out a way to spend quality, couple-time before bed, without the TV or other interruptions or distractions.

Then, they can each sleep in their own rooms, with their own requirements. They both get a great nights sleep and wake the next day, refreshed and recharged, ready to face the world together. Win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Our rule of thumb? No television in the bedroom. It's used for better purposes. The question to me is, Why is the wife insisting on being so inconsiderate?

Once again, television is probably as destructive as infidelity in the marriage. The effects of one are sudden, while the effects of the other are more corrosive and subtle, sometimes taking years to wreak their damage. And if you average more than a couple of hours of the idiot box a night and aren't a shut in, then you're a social retard who needs to seriously evaluate your life.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
We have separate floors and manage quite well, thank-you . I think a little space is good for a relationship.

I don't think sleeping apart is the problem here. The problem, as I see it, is that she seems to be choosing the TV over her husband.

That sends the wrong message and must be a blow to his ego. They need to find out a way to spend quality, couple-time before bed, without the TV or other interruptions or distractions.

Then, they can each sleep in their own rooms, with their own requirements. They both get a great nights sleep and wake the next day, refreshed and recharged, ready to face the world together. Win-win.
Good suggestion, seriously. He tries to spend time with her but she's always too tired to do anything so he sits with her when he watches tv. That's quite a feat for him b'c he's very energetic and hyper, likes to go-go-go. The only thing that holds him back is flare-ups of his illness and that's not often. He does try, I know, b'c I've seen it. She's a good person and all. It's just this situation. It's bad.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
There is no reason that sleeping apart means the end of a marriage. I also sleep with the TV on and my husband can not. Also, my husband snores, tosses & flips all night, and steals all of covers. 2 years ago we got separate beds. It worked well for a while, but he continues to snore louder & louder as he gets older. This spring he moved his bed into another room. Now we both get sleep and nobody is mad at anybody for keeping them awake. It has actually helped our marriage.

Last edited by Racelady88; 09-21-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Sounds like she has more issues than just not being able to fall asleep with the tv on, seems to be some passive-aggressive issues at play here.
+100! I absolutely agree, this does sound like some passive/ agressive issue. This probably has very little to do with the TV. The TV issue is just the outward manifestation.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
+100! I absolutely agree, this does sound like some passive/ agressive issue. This probably has very little to do with the TV. The TV issue is just the outward manifestation.
For ten years? He didn't start protesting til it started affecting his health--the lack of sleep, that is. I know b'c I asked him why he waited so long to protest.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
For ten years? He didn't start protesting til it started affecting his health--the lack of sleep, that is. I know b'c I asked him why he waited so long to protest.
The reason I feel that its a passive-aggressive thing is she does not seem to be factoring in his health issues, whats up with that????

Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The reason I feel that its a passive-aggressive thing is she does not seem to be factoring in his health issues, whats up with that????
That's what I think hurts most of all. He tries to be tough about it but I can tell, it hurts him.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
That's what I think hurts most of all. He tries to be tough about it but I can tell, it hurts him.
Thats disturbing that she is ignoring her partners health and well-being........that in itself says a LOT, you know?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thats disturbing that she is ignoring her partners health and well-being........that in itself says a LOT, you know?
Yes, I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships