U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM

9,230 posts, read 15,462,841 times

Advertisements

18 things to teach your sons about women - CNN.com

Thoughts?

I wouldn't send this to my son without some adjusting.

I don't think men should go shopping with us if they hate it so much. Tell him to go have a beer with his buds or stay home doing something he enjoys.

Most people love compliments and gifts. Don't send the message one should give these more than usual or more than they want to.

Be on time, even if she usually isn't? What the fuzzle? His time isn't valuable? The princess had better "usually" be on time or he can leave without her.

JMHO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,883,481 times
I, being a Mom who does have a son - pretty much agree with the lessons although, I think they are wrong about #13, you should just smile and nod and say, "I understand" when your girlfrend is hot about something LOL - it works for men too LOL

But seriously, they are good things to teach our sons. I have always taught my son that young women (and a lot of mature ones) will never truly know what they want, you just kind of have to take things as they come with women. If you like someone, let them know and don't play games. Likewise, I always taught them both, if you want to break up with someone just be honest and do it.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 PM

7,005 posts, read 19,926,637 times
Number 17 couldn't be any more true.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,601,257 times
Eighteen items and they didn't list "respect her" anywhere?

19. Respect her.

20. Respect yourself.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM

28,900 posts, read 50,401,000 times
Here's a big fat one:

21. When a woman is telling you about her problem, she doesn't necessarily want you to fix it. She just wants to talk about her problem. This is completely different from men. When a man tells you his problem, he's trying to find a solution and asking your advice--usually involving pickup trucks or the right drill bits.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,654,537 times
I dunno about #6. In this day and age you never know. I was in Disney World a few years ago and there was this uh guy, uh girl, uh not sure, but it looked like a guy wearing womens clothing, makeup and a wig, nails painted and womens shoes. Not sure if he was part of the exhibit or not considering I was in Animal Kingdom when I spotted him/her.

21. Don't even spend one minute trying to figure them out. You never will.

22. Look in her eyes when she's talking to you.

23. Get to know what her eye color is.

24. Know her favorite foods. The more you know the little things like this about her, the more she'll love you for it.

25. Remember month/day/year of when you first met and where you met. Remember her birthday, valentines day, anniversary

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM

29,000 posts, read 25,608,406 times
I think some are stupid (gifts, chocolate, shopping, shoes and flowers), and some are just common sense. I tried to teach my sons the golden rule, to mind their manners and to be gentlemen. I not sure all of it took.

I dont think you can teach someone what is embarrassing. My sons would buy me tampons, but they would still be embarrassed. Just the other day my truck was down and I called my son to come take me to the store because I needed some personal things. With a sigh of relief he told me he was afraid I was going to ask him to bring me some tampons. The look on his face was priceless.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM

3,179 posts, read 4,536,803 times
A list from fathers to their sons?

1. Women are irrational.

2. When they moan/pout/whine about a problem, they don’t want a solution. They want somebody who will listen to them. If you give her a solution, she’ll get mad at you because rather than providing a sympathetic ear, you coldly told her how to address the problem. For further explanation, refer to #1.

3. Speak not of the shelves lined up with shoes, and the dozens upon dozens of blouses, skirts, dresses, jeans, slacks, shirts, sweaters, jackets, scarves, in her closet when she says “I have nothing to wear.” For further explanation, refer to #1.

4. Women can be extremely insecure. They may personalize any neutral or innocuous comment you may make about other people, or about other women, as a comparison to them, and attack you for it. For further explanation, refer to #1.

5. For every woman who seeks you out in tears about some jerk, be mindful that this same jerk has grown tired of having sex with her – and yet the jerk has unrestricted access. For further explanation, refer to #1.

6. Women say they like to be treated like a lady, but if you are very attentive, they’ll call you sexist and declare themselves the equals of men. For further explanation, refer to #1.

7. (Some) women will be b*tchy and mean-spirited to you because they will hold you responsible for the fact that the rest of the world is happier than they are, even though you have absolutely no responsibility for whatever misery haunts her. For further explanation, refer to #1.

8. Women will use menstruation as an excuse for the pettiest and silliest of behaviors which they would never tolerate if men were guilty of them, even if men menstruated. For further explanation, refer to #1.

9. (Some) women you meet will be impressively endowed with endearing physical characteristics, and they shall be unafraid to display them through their fashion. Yet, they will complain about how men see them as only pieces of meat. For further explanation, refer to #1.

10 Women will often blame for you for no other reason than you’re a man. For further explanation, refer to #1.

11. For any other situation when a woman you encounter is guilty of actions beyond the realm of logic – refer to #1.

*DISCLAIMER*
Written in jest and humor, so please don't flame me.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM

29,000 posts, read 25,608,406 times
Quote:
A list from fathers to their sons?

1. Women are irrational.

2. When they moan/pout/whine about a problem, they don’t want a solution. They want somebody who will listen to them. If you give her a solution, she’ll get mad at you because rather than providing a sympathetic ear, you coldly told her how to address the problem. For further explanation, refer to #1.

3. Speak not of the shelves lined up with shoes, and the dozens upon dozens of blouses, skirts, dresses, jeans, slacks, shirts, sweaters, jackets, scarves, in her closet when she says “I have nothing to wear.” For further explanation, refer to #1.

4. Women can be extremely insecure. They may personalize any neutral or innocuous comment you may make about other people, or about other women, as a comparison to them, and attack you for it. For further explanation, refer to #1.

5. For every woman who seeks you out in tears about some jerk, be mindful that this same jerk has grown tired of having sex with her – and yet the jerk has unrestricted access. For further explanation, refer to #1.

6. Women say they like to be treated like a lady, but if you are very attentive, they’ll call you sexist and declare themselves the equals of men. For further explanation, refer to #1.

7. (Some) women will be b*tchy and mean-spirited to you because they will hold you responsible for the fact that the rest of the world is happier than they are, even though you have absolutely no responsibility for whatever misery haunts her. For further explanation, refer to #1.

8. Women will use menstruation as an excuse for the pettiest and silliest of behaviors which they would never tolerate if men were guilty of them, even if men menstruated. For further explanation, refer to #1.

9. (Some) women you meet will be impressively endowed with endearing physical characteristics, and they shall be unafraid to display them through their fashion. Yet, they will complain about how men see them as only pieces of meat. For further explanation, refer to #1.

10 Women will often blame for you for no other reason than you’re a man. For further explanation, refer to #1.

11. For any other situation when a woman you encounter is guilty of actions beyond the realm of logic – refer to #1.
Thats enough to scare any man gay!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:28 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,959,993 times
pretty tame. but its by mothers, for mothers.

i would pretty much say the same things. with a couple of other things here and there.

most of these i teach the kids by example.

1. Pick your battles.
yes, but men are always right, so you will always win son

2. Walk on the outside (closer to the street) of your female companion.
thats typical. im amazed at how many men let their female companions walk on the outside. whether it is a sister, girlfriend, mother you always walk on the side of the street. i was always told anything else would be similar to pimping her out

3. Saying "You're being crazy" is never an appropriate response, unless you want her to go postal on you.
sometimes they are crazy

4. Cooking, cleaning, and taking care of kids are things men can actually do as well as women.
the boys cook with me now, remember, lead by example men.

5. Keep backup supplies of quality chocolate in the house for her to raid.
just because flowers are better. forget chocolate. thats cliche. if she likes candied fruit, keep that. or if she likes coffee, keep that. figure out what she likes.

6. Buying tampons and other feminine products shouldn't embarrass you --everyone knows they're not for you.
lead by example again, men

7. Women like compliments and gifts.
so do we, who doesnt?

8. Earning less than her shouldn't be emasculating.
sugar mamas are A OK!! (just dont be lazy)

9. Be on time, even if she usually isn't.
punctuality is important. if your mate is late, how much does that really matter to you?

10. Don't be a pouty puppy when shopping with her.
as long as she isnt either when you are shopping for sports gear or fishing rods or tires and such.

11. Find out what her favorite flower is.
's 1k

12. If you like her, then don't buy her shoes; it's bad luck.
interesting...

13. Smiling and nodding aren't the same as listening.
yes it is, just have something insightful and sensitive to say after she is done yapping away

14. It's OK to cry in front of her, but keep the blubbering to a minimum.
its ok to blubber sometimes. when people die, for example. dont limit your feelings. should we men also limit our happiness? if it really is OK to cry then any form it manifests itself should be fine. AND everything that applies to men should apply to women.

15. Personality goes a long way.
yes it do!!!

16. At some point she'll be more important than your mother.
especially when she becomes the mother of your children

17. You will never completely understand women.
and they will never completely understand men? hmmmm the point is to UNDERSTAND YOUR PARTNER/SPOUSE

18. Oh yeah, and no woman will ever be good enough for my baby!
mehhhh

Last edited by the one; 09-23-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships