Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm not materialistic. I don't want to own anything--that's a point I've made earlier. I do not value things. A good meal and a roof over my head is enough--I don't have to have bought that roof.

In our lifetime, if you are born into a family who has no property/wealth then you are mercilessly thrown into the workforce regardless if you like it or not preforming various mundane jobs just to survive. Now, on one end, job never pays you enough to get out the loop, and on the other end, you make a lot of money but have fallen for consumerism that gets you into debt; either way, you are in survival mode.

Consequently, if you come from a family who has learned how to pass down wealth, and they teach you how to be responsible with it, then you now have the ability to live outside the loop (rat race) and you have the ability to live a more cultured, wholesome life. Why wouldn't any parent want there own child to be cultured and wholesome?

Regardless, I find it strange and disheartening that parents just kick there kids out on the streets at 18 and demand that they "make it on there own." I don't understand the logic of wanting your own seeds to work for somebody else's family? You know, go visit a dock where the yachts are; that's all paid at the expense of a few family's who have learned how to use everybody else's children. (lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 04:30 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
In our lifetime, if you are born into a family who has no property/wealth then you are mercilessly thrown into the workforce regardless if you like it or not preforming various mundane jobs just to survive. Now, on one end, job never pays you enough to get out the loop, and on the other end, you make a lot of money but have fallen for consumerism that gets you into debt; either way, you are in survival mode.

Consequently, if you come from a family who has learned how to pass down wealth, and they teach you how to be responsible with it, then you now have the ability to live outside the loop (rat race) and you have the ability to live a more cultured, wholesome life. Why wouldn't any parent want there own child to be cultured and wholesome?

Regardless, I find it strange and disheartening that parents just kick there kids out on the streets at 18 and demand that they "make it on there own." I don't understand the logic of wanting your own seeds to work for somebody else's family? You know, go visit a dock where the yachts are; that's all paid at the expense of a few family's who have learned how to use everybody else's children. (lol)
What in the world are you talking about? The most successful people in my circle of friends had nothing handed down to them, except a hard work ethic. This is the one country you can start with nothing and be a millionaire by the time you retire, or sooner. The people who ARE handed cars, phones, and free rent at mommy and daddy's are the ones who end up in the fiscious circle of credit card debt.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And many are the the tales of youths who have squandered their inheritances...
It happens, it's LIFE, but the best thing to do is to learn about what went wrong so you can avoid this.

For example. I saw a show on a VERY rich man and out of the fear of developing spoiled children he has his kids cut and water the grass and clean the estate; he also takes his kids down to the poor areas frequently just let them see how other people live. I think he is only leaving them with a few hundred thousand each.

These are the things I would do, along with keeping my fingers crossed..lol

Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
The people who ARE handed cars, phones, and free rent at mommy and daddy's are the ones who end up in the fiscious circle of credit card debt.
I'm not talking about upper middle/middle class people; I'm talking about people higher then that such as the Kennedys or the Dupont's. You know, family's who have evolved into dynasties.

Also, not all people who are handed phones, cars and free rent turn out bad. Most of the time, I find that people who talk junk about rich kids are just jealous because they never had opportunity's like that. I'm just as guilty.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
It's not jealousy, it is recognition of snobbery. People who think they're better than you or deserve special treatment because of the money they have. People who've never done an honest day's work in their lives.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:

This may be the best post I've ever seen you make! Reps to you

This is definitely how the rich get richer, but it also works in upper middle class and middle class families! I feel very sorry for people who don't get this because they are very short-sighted. When each generation is able to build on the one previous to it the odds of the whole family tree becoming more successful over time grow exponentially. But this involves parents making sure their kids are not just thrust out into the word to make it on their own. Parents have to step up to give their kids a leg up!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:

here's your official IOU - it's too soon for me to rep you again

Old 09-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
What in the world are you talking about? The most successful people in my circle of friends had nothing handed down to them, except a hard work ethic. This is the one country you can start with nothing and be a millionaire by the time you retire, or sooner. The people who ARE handed cars, phones, and free rent at mommy and daddy's are the ones who end up in the fiscious circle of credit card debt.
He's not talking about handing kids "things" so much as he's talking about handing them WISDOM and education about money. He's talking about parents ensuring that kids get a formal education by being prepared to send those kids to college. He's talking about parents having a responsibility to be a safety net for their kids as they grow into adulthood so that they get launched off into the adult world prepared to live in it.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I got him for you, loves. I agree with both of you.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Can someone rep Morph for me? I'm out of reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships