Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM

494 posts, read 889,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Ok everybody, I'm done, it's clear that I don't qualify for a relationship because women want you now in this SHAKY economy to have a HOUSE???

I mean Come on!
We all wish you WERE done. No such luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,207,853 times
I’ve never dated a guy who owned a home, nor have I had any desire to own one myself. At 30 years old, and being a woman, people find this quite unusual, but the thought of paying a place off for the rest of my life so it can finally be mine when I’m too old to appreciate it, doesn’t appeal to me. If I had children it’d be a different story of course.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:45 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,136,977 times
I was 32 when I bought my first house and there are a number of benefits to it relative to taxes and equity - it is an investment. The house was actually the same price, each month, as my apartment, but I knew it would never go up in addition to the payments going toward something I could cash out on if I sold it instead of throwing good money after bad in an apartment giving it all away instead of retaining some of it in the future. But, homes do require a lot of daily maintenence and may not be feasible for someone who does not have interest or time for home improvement and daily chores - like mowing the lawn, repairing the roof - things like that. There are equal benefits to not owning a home depending upon your situation.

I also dated several men who did not own a home and even made more money than they did. So, it really makes no difference.

This is just another whinefest thread.

Last edited by Thursday007; 10-20-2010 at 02:54 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,824,897 times
Well, so what if he does have a house. Most likely, it's a starter home that's on the small side. Or, it's more like a hunting camp, and is rough accommodations, or whatever. So, now the guy has a house, and he's filled it all up, and he's entrenched there, and it's unsuitable for two, and now the gal says "Sell, because we need a bigger and better place for two." And that just brings up a different set of problems.

In most markets, it might be possible to rent for less than you can buy, and if the home values there are still in freefall, renting might be the smarter choice. Provided you rent *and* are also setting aside money for purchase of a home, I see no downside to being a renter. But if you are spending your gross salary and then some and are also a renter, then you are a problem.

I honestly believe PA has too many homemakers and wanna-be homemakers who expect to live lavishly on his income, and that lifestyle model is obsolete.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,189,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I’ve never dated a guy who owned a home, nor have I had any desire to own one myself. At 30 years old, and being a woman, people find this quite unusual, but the thought of paying a place off for the rest of my life so it can finally be mine when I’m too old to appreciate it, doesn’t appeal to me. If I had children it’d be a different story of course.
I agree. I don't wish to be paying off for the next 30 years and be in debt. It doesn't appeal to me either.

When I decide to retire I'll probably buy a small cheap place in Turkey or somewhere like that, and live quietly in peace.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,296,996 times
Quote:
Ok, i thought that as long as you didn't live in your mom's basement and was on your own that was fine. So living in a apartment is not acceptable in your 30's??_lol Are you kiddin me???

I have had 2 different woman ask me when do I plan to buy a house?? Or why am I not already in a house??

Ok everybody, I'm done, it's clear that I don't qualify for a relationship because women want you now in this SHAKY economy to have a HOUSE???

I mean Come on!
I would expect a guy in his 30's to be living on his own and caring for the place he lives in (not living in a pig sty), whether it's rented or not.

In the metro NY area, owning is nice, but not owning isn't indicative of anything. Most of the people I know purchase their first home together, but while they are single prefer to lease in the city or other urban areas for social reasons.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
I think that most women ask questions like that because they told they have a "powerful hole"

Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I think that most women ask questions like that because they told they have a "powerful hole"
Are you for real?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Are you for real?
Well can debate it, what you think?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Well can debate it, what you think?
What did your comment imply?

I’m certainly not one of those pu$$y is power women, I think a relationship should be a level playing field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships