Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:23 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,774,637 times

Advertisements

Im having trouble finding accurate info on the remarried rate above age 55 for men and women, so, if someone knows of a site with that specific info on it, that would be great .

Also, for the Men (particularly) out there who are 55 and older, what do you think are the reasons why divorced Men would not want to entertain remarriage at this time in their life ? Im most curious. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
I don't know the stats, but I've read that older men are more likely to remarry than women of the same age.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Well I am 32 and I am reluctant to remarry. I am willing to make the commitment when the time is right.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:17 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't know the stats, but I've read that older men are more likely to remarry than women of the same age.
I've seen that with my parents' friends. They're in their 70s now, and it seems like when the men became widowers or divorced, they invariably remarried within a year. The women stay unmarried. I know, anecdote doesn't equal data, but it's something.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've seen that with my parents' friends. They're in their 70s now, and it seems like when the men became widowers or divorced, they invariably remarried within a year. The women stay unmarried. I know, anecdote doesn't equal data, but it's something.
I would venture to guess, that, at that age....most men dont do life very well without a helpmate/wife ., while i think women at that age either dont want to 'look after another man' or 'they die early and they dont want to go thru it again' and/or they are wanting to be loyal to their deceased husband and not remarry. (?)

Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
My FIL remarried within a year after my MIL died. I'm in the 55+ category and if I out live my wife, I have absolutely no plans to remarry. My wife thinks I will though for the reason you stated. I figure the closest I'd consider would be living together. As to the reason why I'm not considering remarriage, it would be my FIL's remarriage. In essence, it seems they do more with her family almost to the exclusion of his family. I won't be putting my kids through that.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
I'm under the same impression. They'd like to have somebody take care of them while women are sick and tired of taking care of somebody. Since sex is about to play less and less important role in the future, all that's left is friggin' work for no reason... Well, everything is (usually) financially easier for two, but sometimes the inconvenience may outweigh even this consideration.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:42 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,798 times
I've heard it said that older men are looking for a nurse or a purse.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
That's because by that time, the older man is tired of years of picking up his own socks and is done with all that, and the prospective mate is tired of years of picking up other people's socks and is done with all that.

For some really weird reason, I always picture myself as an eccentric older lady, divorced or separated or what-have-you and only cleaning up my own messes...LOL. I mean that sounds terrible but it's true. I just can't even picture ONLY doing dishes I personally ate off of...KWIM? I truly can't...what is that like?

No, I think when I'm an old bird (which is not so very far off anyway) I'll be "alone" when I want to...then when I need a little sumpin' sumpin', I'll call on a boy toy or something.

I've heard the "but do you want do die old and alone?" thing so many times. Well, I actually don't want to die at all, and growing old doesn't seem like the absolute most fun a person can have, BUT...what guarantees do I have anyway by hooking my claws into some 60-year-old dude when I'm 59.5 and having him stick around healthfully anyway? There are NO guarantees, at any age, except this one: 20 more years of being the house slave and I'm sure I'll be part of the majority of older women who do NOT remarry.

Sorry! (/bitter-ish rant off)

Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I've heard it said that older men are looking for a nurse or a purse.
Sometimes both ! Older men and womens desires for remarriage change as they become older ; usually, its a desire for companionship if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships