Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 PM

890 posts, read 2,776,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
WOW!

You are such shallow individual. If you only knew where I live it would put shame to your lifestyle Mr. Mardix. I have a beautiful home on a river! I need not explain anything else but that it isn't a single wide like you are invisioning in your tiny brain.

You take the fact that I have Tennessee on my profile and talk about a camper that I was able to get makes me some sort of hillbilly or redneck? Is that it?

I think you were trying to get a big laugh out of the whole thread and all you did was show your true colors. Good job Mr. Shallowmind.
I was not sure if you were being serious, so my response was just "on the fly" without really re-reading it.

But upon re-reading your post, here's a quote that I will parse:

Quote:
She says, "The one in the hall doesn't have a switch and the electricity is on 24 hours a day."

I look in disbelief, "No it's not."
There are 2 thoughts, and individually each is true:
True = The one in the hall doesn't have a switch
True = the electricity is on 24 hours a day

Put them together, can either be true or false depending on whether the light in on.

You response to her, "No it's not" can be true or false depending if you're referring to the light being on.

But that is just from the facts you have posted.

The underlying emotions and disagreement may not be about the light bulb in the hallway.

Here's a few possible source:

1. She had expressed that she does not want that light bulb, but you disagree. Ask her how she feels about that specific light in the hallway.

2. She asked you to replace that light bulb in the past, perhaps more than once, and you did not respond enough to address her underlying need or want.

3. She disagrees or disapproves with your recent purchase of the camper; and her old/learned behavior of disagreeing with you brought out the light bulb issue.

Ultimately, you need to move the conversation with her and utilize your listening skills to grasp some understanding of her underlying issue with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,244,435 times
Quote:
Actually I don't think it was funny at all.

I know you are kidding around with me but I eat and drink with the best of them. We are all together the "Human Race."

Class distinctions tick me off the worse.

I will have lunch with a homeless person. We are all Brothers and Sisters.
Should it matter that you're drinking Milwaukee's Best and eating hog jowls??

HECK NO!!!

(actually if you have a spare beer, I could sure use one....)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,525,622 times
OK, I'm a lady. Here are my thoughts.

1. If the lightbulb in your hallway is unscrewed, the circuit is interrupted and electricity is not flowing.

2. If unscrewing the lightbulb is the only way to turn off the light, it sounds like she was asking you to install a switch in the hallway. It would be odd to have a light that could only be turned off that way, but I am not sure what the unscrewed part has to do with anything. Can't you turn it off?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,300,342 times
The only true way to prove to her that the electricity is not on 24 hours a day is to lick the tip of your finger and stick into the the socket.

Let us know who was right.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:37 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,865,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Should it matter that you're drinking Milwaukee's Best and eating hog jowls??

HECK NO!!!

(actually if you have a spare beer, I could sure use one....)

That would probably be funny had I known what the heck a hog jowl is.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,865,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
OK, I'm a lady. Here are my thoughts.

1. If the lightbulb in your hallway is unscrewed, the circuit is interrupted and electricity is not flowing.

2. If unscrewing the lightbulb is the only way to turn off the light, it sounds like she was asking you to install a switch in the hallway. It would be odd to have a light that could only be turned off that way, but I am not sure what the unscrewed part has to do with anything. Can't you turn it off?
Yeah. It had a light with a switch under the light. However, she bought a different lamp that was more decorative for that small hallway. I had to install it just for the looks. It's a small light bulb. The lamp has a 5" shade on it to give you an idea. I wasn't going to knock a hole in the wall to make a switch running the wires up and down the wall for this little lamp. She should have got one with a switch. No one ever uses this lamp. Ever! It's just a decorative lamp.

My issue was the whole electricity thing. Yeah, I know, I should read into her mind and figure out that she doesn't like the light without a switch but that wasn't my fault. I didn't buy the light.

I think I will try that licking the finger thing. That might fix everything.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,265,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
The only true way to prove to her that the electricity is not on 24 hours a day is to lick the tip of your finger and stick into the the socket.

Let us know who was right.
Brilliant! Although, I vote for it being HER finger, she deserves it

Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 4,849,573 times
Quote:
Today the little woman came home from work. In the driveway she sees a camper trailer I picked up for free on Craigslist. That's not the end.I ask her to look at it. It is pretty messed up. I may just sell it out front of my home. So she comes into the camper. Looks around then sees a light on the wall. It is a small light with the switch underneath. She says and I quote the conversation:

"Can you put that light in our house to replace that one we have in the hallway?"
I say, "No. Why would you want to do that? This light is old and rusty?"
She says, "The one in the hall doesn't have a switch and the electricity is on 24 hours a day."
I look in disbelief, "No it's not."
"Goodbye (my name)." Then she exits the camper and heads off in her car to do her things.

My question to you is....
"Is the electricity on 24 hours a day when the light bulb is unscrewed to the point that the light is not on?"

I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks. This ought to be good. Please ladies, I want to here your thoughts.
A tad confusing but I think I got this one. First I don't get why she would want to replace the hall light with an old rusty light. You can buy a brand new light for fairly cheap that would at least have a pull chain..no?

I do not believe that if you unscrew the light bulb in a light fixture that this fixture is producing any electricity but then we could both be wrong. Households have a lot of appliances producing electricity that we don't think about...the clocks on electric stoves, the coffee maker that never gets unplugged, the microwave with the time showing up or if not the time those little red vampire dots where the time should be...how appropriate..vampire dots sucking up electricity.

I can go one better than your story with your wife. I had this conversation with the hubs recently:

The hubs:
"All the clocks are off kilter a little because the power was out for a while last night"

Me:
"Well now that would be quite a feat seeing that all the clocks are battery operated" "If you would like to run amuck resetting them, knock yourself out"

Hubs:
"Very funny" (Walks away all indignant)

Do you think we should get your wife and my husband on the same electrical wave length of thought when it comes to power? I mean, he could re-install and re-set all your clocks for you and then she could check all my bad light fixtures for phantom power..ya think?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,244,435 times
Quote:
That would probably be funny had I known what the heck a hog jowl is.
Well, I've never eaten one, but hear they're a back-woods delicacy...

Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,479,788 times
Quote:
Yeah. It had a light with a switch under the light. However, she bought a different lamp that was more decorative for that small hallway. I had to install it just for the looks. It's a small light bulb. The lamp has a 5" shade on it to give you an idea. I wasn't going to knock a hole in the wall to make a switch running the wires up and down the wall for this little lamp. She should have got one with a switch. No one ever uses this lamp. Ever! It's just a decorative lamp.

My issue was the whole electricity thing. Yeah, I know, I should read into her mind and figure out that she doesn't like the light without a switch but that wasn't my fault. I didn't buy the light.

I think I will try that licking the finger thing. That might fix everything.
You'd probably solve most of your problems if you added a switch.

Since you don't want to knock holes in the wall, how about adding some type to the fixture? It might mean drilling a hole in the fixture and wiring it serially to one of the connections.

Just think, you become a hero for solving something she doesn't like and you won't have to worry about the question, is the power on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships