Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In short, the pattern of her calling has changed to something different.

Yesterday, I was driving home and decided to pick up lunch along the way. She called me and asked what I was doing. I mentioned that I was picking up lunch and going home. To which she said, "Well, you can eat lunch over here." Mind you, this is a woman who lives ten miles away. I have been to her house precisely twice in the past ten years or so.

Is she inviting me to do something besides lunch? Is this my imagination? And what should I do about this. No, attractive as she is, I have no intention of doing anything wrong. I'm just wondering if my instincts are right, and how do I keep her as a client. I also don't like the fact that I haven't told my wife about this conversation, either.
Trust your gut instinct...sure does sound like she has some kind of agenda. I'm curious about her marital status. Is she going through a divorce, or did she recently split up with her S.O.? This could explain her behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM

304 posts, read 1,326,014 times
If you know where you belong (with your wife) and don't have a desire for anything outside of this, just stay true to yourself and maintain your self-control and composure. I would not bring it up to the wife, it will pretty much ruin any friendship that is there, and quite possibly put trust issues between you and your wife. When this lady make a pass at you, be aloof and pretend like you don't know she is making a pass at you. Whatever you do, do not be flirty with her, she will think you are saying yes to her request. Do not go to her home (or out to lunch,etc..) when others are not present, and do try to disengage with her on the phone calls. If you do this repeatedly, she will get the hint, if not you may have to go the next step and just avoid her phone calls alltogether.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Trust your gut instinct...sure does sound like she has some kind of agenda. I'm curious about her marital status. Is she going through a divorce, or did she recently split up with her S.O.? This could explain her behavior.
Well, she's two years younger than I am, her husband travels a lot on biz, and her youngest son just went to college. So I'm guessing that her life just doesn't have a lot going on right now.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 AM

850 posts, read 1,545,946 times
Keep it professional and avoid putting yourself in a situation that you can't get out of. DON"T DO IT!!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
She may be bored...you know, like the crazy women on Facebook who end up chatting with men during the day...haha

Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
She may be bored...you know, like the crazy women on Facebook who end up chatting with men during the day...haha
Exactly!! Know any?

Honestly, though, I'd hate to lose her business (Especially in this economy), so I need to be delicate about how to handle matters.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Well, if your relationship with your wife is THAT good and you've gone down this road before, then maybe telling her would be fine... I just thought you could avoid a lot of awkwardness and handle this yourself...

Acting naive and clueless toward her advances would probably be the best way to continue having her as a client, but if she gets to the point where she's being blatant, you may need to put a stop to it and potentially end the professional relationship along with it....

Bottom line is that YOU know what NOT to do here. Everything else will work itself out.

Oh, one last thing: I know we're ALL assuming that she's coming on to you, but definately don't assume that yet. There might be some sort of legit reason for why she's acting this way (though I can't figure what it is.. ).

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
She is an acquaintance of my wife's, but the connection is through me. My wife, to be truthful, thinks she is a bit of a dingbat.

When other women have made more overt, explicit passes at me, I have had no qualms telling my wife about it. My belief is that I'd rather have it out in the open than allow it to fester. She's pretty philosophic about it, saying that I'm easy for women to talk to. She also says that she doesn't care where I get my appetite as long as I eat at home.
This is another topic, I realize, but I've often wondered about this very thing--telling your spouse about the passes others make at you. I almost never told my husband about passes made at me, unless it was one that concerned me for safety's sake and that only happened once.

As for your client, I wouldn't have any problems just saying something like, 'Maybe we could all four get together for dinner sometime'. If that loses her as a client, so be it.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Isn't it obvious, yes, she wants you over there to see where things go. She's interested in a married man which is called adultery.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Well, she's two years younger than I am, her husband travels a lot on biz, and her youngest son just went to college. So I'm guessing that her life just doesn't have a lot going on right now.
Ahhhhh..."empty nest syndrome" can hit some people (especially mothers) pretty hard. She and her hubby really need to renew themselves as a couple.

I think you know exactly what you need to do in this situation. Hopefully, it won't cost you a client. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships