Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 11:49 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times

Advertisements

The Black (And White) Holes of Relationships

Modern science has many fascinating factoids available for our entertainment, one of the most fertile sources of these tidbits being the field of astronomy. Here we can ruminate about the origin of our universe, how fast a body can travel - indeed, with the latest work on wormholes it's said to be theoretically possible to travel forward and backward in time.

But while watching the Discovery Channel the other night the one galactic wonder that caught my eye was the black hole - that astronomical phenomenon that pulls everything into its grasp. Popular in science fiction for many years as a plot device, amazingly enough black holes actually do exist. Although the hard science escapes me at the moment, it's enough to know for our current purpose that a black hole moves rapidly, cannot be seen directly and pulls all surrounding matter inexorably into its clutches.

Much like a few ladies I've known in my life.

Think about it, guys - here's this heavenly body in your universe. She's moving constantly, at a high rate of speed: she never seems to stop for a moment. She can't be seen because she's always off somewhere - partying with your best friends, perhaps, or burning up your AmEx in Victoria's Secret. But you can be sure that she pulls everything and everybody into her orbit.

Now, the experts interviewed on the show said there are two types of black holes - regular and massive. My last girlfriend, I think, fell into the latter category. She did everything in a big way.

But all is not lost! There are also said to exist, somewhere in the big bad universe, white holes. They do what you might expect - the opposite of black holes. They constantly spew material out, instead of pulling it in.

Like that one girlfriend that never stopped chatting on the phone. Or spending your money.

They are, in summation, a fascinating part of nature; a force to be reckoned with and pondered over, beautiful in both their creative and destructive powers, and a topic of constant wonderment and investigation by the greatest minds of our time.

Oh, and so are the black and white holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 PM

113 posts, read 263,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

Modern science has many fascinating factoids available for our entertainment, one of the most fertile sources of these tidbits being the field of astronomy. Here we can ruminate about the origin of our universe, how fast a body can travel - indeed, with the latest work on wormholes it's said to be theoretically possible to travel forward and backward in time.

But while watching the Discovery Channel the other night the one galactic wonder that caught my eye was the black hole - that astronomical phenomenon that pulls everything into its grasp. Popular in science fiction for many years as a plot device, amazingly enough black holes actually do exist. Although the hard science escapes me at the moment, it's enough to know for our current purpose that a black hole moves rapidly, cannot be seen directly and pulls all surrounding matter inexorably into its clutches.

Think about it, guys - here's this heavenly body in your universe. She's moving constantly, at a high rate of speed: she never seems to stop for a moment. She can't be seen because she's always off somewhere - partying with your best friends, perhaps, or burning up your AmEx in Victoria's Secret. But you can be sure that she pulls everything and everybody into her orbit.

Now, the experts interviewed on the show said there are two types of black holes - regular and massive. My last girlfriend, I think, fell into the latter category. She did everything in a big way.

But all is not lost! There are also said to exist, somewhere in the big bad universe, white holes. They do what you might expect - the opposite of black holes. They constantly spew material out, instead of pulling it in.

Like that one girlfriend that never stopped chatting on the phone. Or spending your money.

They are, in summation, a fascinating part of nature; a force to be reckoned with and pondered over, beautiful in both their creative and destructive powers, and a topic of constant wonderment and investigation by the greatest minds of our time.

As a woman making this comment...... You ssssssssoooooooo deserve to find the right 'lady'. Please don't be put off by your past experiences. thier are some of us that are good......

......Your experiences are nothing less than what other 'good' women have experienced from men..!!

What a shame the 'twain' never seem to meet !!??

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I guess I'm a big ol' black hole.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
As a woman making this comment...... You ssssssssoooooooo deserve to find the right 'lady'. Please don't be put off by your past experiences. thier are some of us that are good......

......Your experiences are nothing less than what other 'good' women have experienced from men..!!

What a shame the 'twain' never seem to meet !!??
Oh, but I think you're taking me too seriously. It's meant to be satire. If you read some of my other stuff, you'll see I have a somewhat warped sense of humor.

But thank you for the good thoughts - I appreciate it.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:30 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:

Gee, I've noticed that the one thing that Black Holes and White Holes have in common is that they like to spend other people's money. Hmmmm...

Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:

::Mike stands up and says::

"But, Professor!! What about the women who bring sunshine into our lives? Are they not like the Sun? A Main Sequence star..."

::and everyone says::

"Awwwww..."

Old 09-26-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
::Mike stands up and says::

"But, Professor!! What about the women who bring sunshine into our lives? Are they not like the Sun? A Main Sequence star..."

::and everyone says::

"Awwwww..."

"Awwwww...

...of course, like the Sun, they're huge masses of gas who are eventually going to burn out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships