Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,768,816 times

Advertisements

There is no solution to a bad marriage other than leaving your spouse. All relationships have expiration dates. Sometimes it's six months, other times it's 60 years.

Divorce is merely a means of dissolving the legal contract you entered into with your spouse when you decided to make the state a partner in your relationship.

Smart people never make that mistake again and avoid marriage like the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 03:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
Divorce is the answer to an irreconcilable marriage. Divorce may or may not be the answer to a bad marriage. I think maybe too many couples have been too quick to write off a bad marriage as irreconcilable without at least trying to reconcile.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
A. I do think it is natural to stay with the same person your whole life.

B. If you have feelings to the contrary, that needs to be worked on and worked out. Children deserve to be raised to adulthood by both of their parents.

I don't subscribe to this theory of parenting and marital relationships, which seems to have come from "Wild Kingdom."

80% of husbands cheat? Where do you get that from? I must be in that small 20%..............and so are most of my friends.
Yeah, back in the 90s I read ~80%. Here are some other stats:

Recent studies reveal that 45-55% of married women and 50-60% of married men engage in extramarital sex at some time or another during their relationship (Atwood & Schwartz, 2002 - Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy)

You can look up stats all day.

Listen, I'm part of that small percentage who has enough self-respect and respect for my wife (and her feelings) never to cheat and not to bail when the going gets tough. But I still firmly believe it is not in human nature to resist temptation. Especially for men whose biological drive is to rampantly procreate.

Most adults are just large children...they can't handle their finances, they can't handle their vices, and they sure as heck can't handle temptation. If it were natural, per se, I don't think this would be such an issue.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,093,261 times
Divorce should ALWAYS be the answer to a bad marriage, to suggest otherwise is not smart. Why on earth would anyone want to stay in a bad marriage?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,592,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Divorce should ALWAYS be the answer to a bad marriage, to suggest otherwise is not smart. Why on earth would anyone want to stay in a bad marriage?
Not always. Sometime it is. Other times it is not the answer.

Sometimes things can be mended. If there are some minor problems that make life miserable they can be fixed. The use of "always" makes the statement absurd

Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Not always. Sometime it is. Other times it is not the answer.

Sometimes things can be mended. If there are some minor problems that make life miserable they can be fixed. The use of "always" makes the statement absurd
Minor problems almost always turn into major issues because the parties didn't nip it in the bud early on.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,094,098 times
i see alota posts on here talking about filing a divorce for the sake of being happier.
could this have anything to do with the 1/2 million dollar settlement and getting rid of a creature that keeps talking about your spending? i am wondering, 42 million divorces later (since no fault 1975) is happiness being purchased at too high a price? did these divorces result in more happiness?
according to penn state it hasnt. women are significantly less happy than men, married or not.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,523,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
If you have children, you're stuck.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:40 AM

Even if you have children, you don't have to be around your spouse hardly unless it has to do with the children.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:21 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,768,985 times
Divorce is not always the answer. Many miserable couples are miserable individuals that just feed off each other and fight for control. They end up be jaded and even more rude to each other than when they were married.

Divorce was the answer for me and I spent three years making that decision even though it was not the decision I wanted. My ex husband and I have an amiccable relationship now, we even stay at each others place on occasion because we live so far from each other. We don't mind sitting next to each other and talking small chat, he use to tell me about his love life but we both decided that that probably wasn't necessary. I wouldn't keep this relationship going with him if not for my children. But it works for us and we don't hate each other but we are both much happier.

Divorce should never be a quick decision. It should be used as a last resort after counseling has been practiced. Too many times it's used to solve a problem and it doesn't work that way. It's a tool to dissolve a marriage agreement after careful consideration, years in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships