Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeeighty2 View Post
What ever happened to be a size over 10 and been beautiful, i.e. Marilyn Monroe, she was a size 12.
In today's sizes she would have been a 6 or an 8.

I agree with you about health, though. Some healthy people aren't hardbodies, and not all thin people are healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Curvey girls are great. I certainly don't mind some extra meat if the gal has curves.

The asian girl pictured above doesn't have curves she just has an artificially cinched down waist and it looks unattractive.

Pretty much every woman I've gotten into a relationship with over the past 20 years has been brunette, had hips and a decent amount up top.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
What ever happened to be a size over 10 and been beautiful, i.e. Marilyn Monroe, she was a size 12.

People are so obsessed with losing weight... is ridiculous!!! I am a happy size 10, sometimes 12, sometimes 8... who cares? If I am healthy, what else is there?

Hi valeeighty2,

That's the whole point. My choices are to sit quietly and allow many women to continue to blame heterosexual men for stick models when it is in fact women and homosexuals in the fashion industry or to point it out; men select for things relating to fertility and health. You can certainly blame men for wanting healthy, fertile women. An ideal hip to waist ratio is at the pinnacle of health.

Moderator cut: image removed

As we can see, not a stick model or a hard body but surprise surprise a hip to waist ration that says I can crank out babies like a player piano does Mozart.
However to be brutally honest, we are by far the fastest nation on earth. So every now and then we might also need to bring that up.

Moderator cut: image removed

Also, as mentioned, that size 12 is a sliding scale.

Last edited by Marka; 01-10-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Her: Oh greaaaaaat. Just what we need: something else for women to pick at themselves about. I can see it now: "honey, is my waste to hip ratio okay?"

Him: Sorry honey, but I didn't know there would be any math when I decided to go out with you."
Hi RobE,

No, swap it out for the heroin addicted stick model. We never wanted it anyway.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:21 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
An ideal hip to waist ratio is at the pinnacle of health.
OK, now I'm starting to have a little problem with this, mainly because of the idea that a proper hip-to-waist ratio equals childbearing ability. I don't see that that's necessarily true. You could theoretically have a woman with padded hips and a decent waist, yet not be the fertility ideal.

What would be important, IMO, is the size and flexibility of the inguinal crease or area - the pelvic opening, if you will. That should be a better determinant of birthing ability than hip and waist ratios, no?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
Damn. I just ate 2 slices of pizza before I clicked on this thread.

Anyway Marilyn doesn't look like a size 6 in that picture above, she had to be at least an 8.

I'm pretty satisfied with my body, but I would love to have a smaller waist. Bye bye delicious pizza, hello brown rice and vegetables.

I seriously think that is why some big women are happy. They get to eat what they want. Food is one of life's best pleasures. Now to look good and compete, gotta say bye-bye to flavor.

My friend says her diet is simple, if it tastes good she isn't supposed to eat it. Pretty simple- and what do you know, she looks incredible.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
OK, now I'm starting to have a little problem with this, mainly because of the idea that a proper hip-to-waist ratio equals childbearing ability. I don't see that that's necessarily true. You could theoretically have a woman with padded hips and a decent waist, yet not be the fertility ideal.

What would be important, IMO, is the size and flexibility of the inguinal crease or area - the pelvic opening, if you will. That should be a better determinant of birthing ability than hip and waist ratios, no?
Greetings sir monk of the SifuPhil order,

Well actually a lot of the distribution is due to fertility hormones as well as the 50,000 calories needed to create a child. Perhaps also its a better place to store weight for the stress pregnancy brings on the heart. That is one reason why we men drop dead from swag bellies. Where she is storing her fat may lead to survivability with regard to the circulatory system.

Giving birth to humans is a bloody awful mess and not more than 100 years ago a woman died 1 in a 100. In some parts of the 3rd world its 1 in 16. That is probably closer to what happened before civilization. What we see as beauty is really more a measure of health.

A women eating a historical normal diet tends towards pattern than what we see to today. Starvation diets or looking like sticks is simply a myth because its not a state of health. It my be still be a hill for someone to climb but it my as well be about what is actually true. I would think that it would be good news for women to know not to starve themselves to get a date. Women currently over estimate thin as the ideal for the heterosexual male. Now some can throw a little ham in the salad. I believe the reason women don't like their bodies is because they see boyish beauty and rather than focusing on the object of their desire they find themselves expressing it.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Damn. I just ate 2 slices of pizza before I clicked on this thread.

Anyway Marilyn doesn't look like a size 6 in that picture above, she had to be at least an 8.

I'm pretty satisfied with my body, but I would love to have a smaller waist. Bye bye delicious pizza, hello brown rice and vegetables.

I seriously think that is why some big women are happy. They get to eat what they want. Food is one of life's best pleasures. Now to look good and compete, gotta say bye-bye to flavor.

My friend says her diet is simple, if it tastes good she isn't supposed to eat it. Pretty simple- and what do you know, she looks incredible.
Hi Glitterific,

I eat pizza but its usually just a course along side something that will not give me heart burn, make fall over going half way up the hill or getting a cramp and drowning. What is so much fun about that? I see people hobbling themselves. The food I eat has lots of flavor and actually more so. The cuisine of sugar salt and fat is a little too one dimensional for me. I was just eating some wild raisins off a V. Prunifolia at the train station. Most people think that and the service berries are just ornamental. Fresh right off the bush and it does not get better than that for me. If it does not taste good , I don't eat it.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:51 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:

People are so obsessed with losing weight... is ridiculous!!! I am a happy size 10, sometimes 12, sometimes 8... who cares? If I am healthy, what else is there?
I sell vintage clothing for a living and vintage sizing is VASTLY different from todays sizes. Marilyn Monroe was actually a vintage size 16 at her very heaviest (a 14 at her thinnest) which equates to a modern size 6 at best. She was 5.5 feet and usually weighed around 118 lbs, for reference, and her waist size ranged from 23-26 inches. (I'm a huge Marilyn Monroe buff)

Old 09-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I sell vintage clothing for a living and vintage sizing is VASTLY different from todays sizes. Marilyn Monroe was actually a vintage size 16 at her very heaviest (a 14 at her thinnest) which equates to a modern size 6 at best. She was 5.5 feet and usually weighed around 118 lbs, for reference, and her waist size ranged from 23-26 inches. (I'm a huge Marilyn Monroe buff)
As am I(a buff of) a buff Marilyn Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships