Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

I was always curious about American culture vs Russian culture (where I was born). Here people do not rush to get married, getting married in their late 20's early 30's is a norm here. In Russia, if you are not married by 25, you are considered an old maid. I spoke to a friend of mine who still lives in a small town in Russia and she got married at the age of 18! She is still happily married, but her son is already a teenager and she is only 30 years old.

What do you think are the pros and cons of being married so young? What is young for you? I got married at the age of 23 and I heard many times that it's early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I was always curious about American culture vs Russian culture (where I was born). Here people do not rush to get married, getting married in their late 20's early 30's is a norm here. In Russia, if you are not married by 25, you are considered an old maid. I spoke to a friend of mine who still lives in a small town in Russia and she got married at the age of 18! She is still happily married, but her son is already a teenager and she is only 30 years old.

What do you think are the pros and cons of being married so young? What is young for you? I got married at the age of 23 and I heard many times that it's early.
I think if the culture promotes it, and the family members help the young couples get on there feet, then it's just fine!

Living in California for a while I had to get use to the the Mexican culture and I noticed that the young people got married and get into serious relationships at very young ages, however, many do just fine because they have a huge support from there family and community.

However as an American; especially a BLACK American living in a post modern society; there is no culture/community! So with that being said, you got to take more time out of your life to acquire BASIC resources to be able to support a family ALL ON YOUR OWN. So in other words, it's stupid to get married and have kids so young as an American.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
It's said divorce is greater if a couple gets married between 18-22 because they're still getting to know each other. I really don't see any pros to being married so young as the parties are still relatively young so they won't know what to expect out of marriage. Most people this age are still in the lovey-dovey stage. They don't understand that marriage requires work.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
I think Russia is moving in the "marriage later" direction now, with Westernization and women being able to make good living, especially in bigger cities. Yes, I remember how "You are 23, and still not married?!?!" question hit you as if you missed the train. My sister is 33 and not married yet, living with our parents, and I am not sure if she suffers at all.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
The maturity level of most young Americans (ages 18-25) in 2009 is not sufficient to sustain a healthy, life-long commitment.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
When I went to school, there were a handful of Russian babes in the arts college next door. Truly "Miss Universe" types. For the record, everyone from Russia looks so, LMAO. I should have married one of those back in the day

I merely hung out with them and ran away. Stupid me.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
When I went to school, there were a handful of Russian babes in the arts college next door. Truly "Miss Universe" types. For the record, everyone from Russia looks so, LMAO. I should have married one of those back in the day

I merely hung out with them and ran away. Stupid me.
At what age does arranged marriage happen for Indians? Young? Or just women young?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
At what age does arranged marriage happen for Indians? Young? Or just women young?
As young as 18. In some cases, less than that, look up child marriages, they still happen

If Pops were still alive, I'd have already married and shot out a couple of kids. My mother's kind of progressive in thinking and does not bug me or my brother about wedding. But she gets 10 requests every week from prospective FIL's and MIL's. The very reason me and my brother run away from them is that despite the "assets" of the babes, LMAO, they always come with a thumping liability, their dads and moms

Old 09-27-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
As young as 18. In some cases, less than that, look up child marriages, they still happen

If Pops were still alive, I'd have already married and shot out a couple of kids. My mother's kind of progressive in thinking and does not bug me or my brother about wedding. But she gets 10 requests every week from prospective FIL's and MIL's. The very reason me and my brother run away from them is that despite the "assets" of the babes, LMAO, they always come with a thumping liability, their dads and moms
I am not surprised to hear that you get 10 requests a week.... I worked in a 90% Indian company during dot-com in USA.... The s/w developer guys brought wives from India, beautiful girls, I guess working in America alone was a status in itself.

So you are different, eh? Do you still feel that you have to marry an Indian girl?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I am not surprised to hear that you get 10 requests a week.... I worked in a 90% Indian company during dot-com in USA.... The s/w developer guys brought wives from India, beautiful girls, I guess working in America alone was a status in itself.

So you are different, eh? Do you still feel that you have to marry an Indian girl?
Well......

Mom does not entertain them primarily for the reason that the moment they dig into family history, they go schizo and mom goes schizo and it's a huge stress generator. My father is an untouchable (you perhaps know what it means). I'm a cross breed and this is a pain point of prospective FIL's and MIL's. They always look for the thorough breed

The girls are extremely pretty. But.... before they reject me later on and I feel like crap, I always stay away from them, despite the fact that many stalk me around America. Coz just 0.01% of the men from my place are FIT and I'm one of them, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships