Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 PM

5,312 posts, read 6,076,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
You're right. I meant bias against.

And you're right about the bias getting worse after 30.
I think its much worse for women...Theyre looked a much worse with the pressure of having children and everyhting..

Yeah a guy going into his 30's single is quesitoned why hes single but people just figure hes someobdy who likes to be a bachleor and be with different women while the womens looked at as an otucast because all women are suppsoed to want relationships where its known not all men want them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:08 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,888,240 times
I guess it's true but I still don't feel its right.
I think the true reason why people are attracted to people already attached is because those individuals are secure in themselves. They aren't worried about meeting someone, or trying hard to look good in the social scene. That security comes from knowing they have someone to go home to and aren't pressured to meet someone.
Me, I'm old school. Someone's else's man is Nacho - Not your man. I don't find a man with someone else to be of interest to me because he's unavailable and off limits.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
I often find that the men some women want are often the hardest ones to get. Taken men are suppose to be off limits. If a woman is taken, I don't make my move. I just let it be and look for a single woman. I look for single women. I don't do the club or bar scene very much. I learn that it isn't for me. Most of the time when I go, it is either men going with their girlfriends or women going with their friends or boyfriend. If you go alone, most likely, you will stay alone. I often wonder why the men who appear to be take get more attention than men who are alone.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,395,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
This study finds women prefer taken men over single men. Even if all other qualities are the same the taken man is more attractive to women.

I think (or would like to think) that most women do want a man to themselves and wouldn't have interest in sharing. The reason the taken man is more attractive is the social proof aspect. Women figure if a man is already with a woman there has to be something good about him while they are suspect of the single man.

I met my girlfriend when I was hanging out with another woman. Sometimes I wonder if she would have been interested in me if I was alone that night. If this study is any indication the answer very well could have been no.

FuturePundit: Women Prefer Taken Guys
Those who are taken had qualities that got them taken. It's hard to say "all other things are equal" when you're talking about people. Men who aren't taken often aren't for a reason. Men who are often are for a reason. Yeah, taken men tend to be more attractive than untaken ones. I'm willing to bet the same holds for women.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 PM

5,312 posts, read 6,076,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Those who are taken had qualities that got them taken. It's hard to say "all other things are equal" when you're talking about people. Men who aren't taken often aren't for a reason. Men who are often are for a reason. Yeah, taken men tend to be more attractive than untaken ones. I'm willing to bet the same holds for women.
Considering more then 50% of marriages end up failing i think its funny that people would assume somebody taken is probably some amazing catch..

As far as the attractive thing i dont know..Most of my male friends who are attratcive and get allot of women are not married or waited long to get married because they had so many options and dint want to give that up so easily

My friends who werent great with women usually settled for the first or second women who gave them any attention and showed interest

Old 11-08-2009, 11:31 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,508,186 times
Smile agree-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafinez View Post
Well, there was this myth that men are hunters and women are selectors. I, as a woman though, think of myself as a hunter. I love the chase game, the fun and tension to getting a guy. But ever since I learned to put a revealing blouse on, there is no more hunt to it because all guys hit on me. Well, marrieds are a challenge.

I am talking from the perspective of a happily married person, my hunting days are over. Nah, actually I'm hunting my hubby over and over. But that's just a possible explanation to why some women want married men. Challenge, hunt, them being in initiative instead of guys hitting on them and doing the hunting.
I agree in that some women do not want to "gather" have a lot of kids, etc...times have changed; a married man I know said he "loves the chase"....lol well, some women do too.....what's good for the goose Is good for the gander, as grandma would have said....

Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree in that some women do not want to "gather" have a lot of kids, etc...times have changed; a married man I know said he "loves the chase"....lol well, some women do too.....what's good for the goose Is good for the gander, as grandma would have said....
What does "love the chase" mean?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,213,831 times
Thumbs up If I had a rep, I'd rep ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im the opposite. If he's with a girl, or a group of girls, I leave him alone.
Finally, a voice of reason! It's a shame that more women (and men) aren't more like CD!!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,288,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
This study finds women prefer taken men over single men. Even if all other qualities are the same the taken man is more attractive to women.

I think (or would like to think) that most women do want a man to themselves and wouldn't have interest in sharing. The reason the taken man is more attractive is the social proof aspect. Women figure if a man is already with a woman there has to be something good about him while they are suspect of the single man.

I met my girlfriend when I was hanging out with another woman. Sometimes I wonder if she would have been interested in me if I was alone that night. If this study is any indication the answer very well could have been no.

FuturePundit: Women Prefer Taken Guys
I must not be the typical woman, because when a guy is clearly taken, I don't even waste my time giving him another look. Why go through the heart ache? Life is hard enough without having to fight with another woman over a guy! Too much drama!

Plus, I've been with guys who attracted tons of groupies, and it was not fun. I'm at the point where I want a guy who will make me number one, not number two or number three. But I don't doubt the study is true, I just think women need to change their perspective.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,262,791 times
How about it may not be that man has someone but he has so much confidence in himself BECAUSE there is someone at home and he just does not have that "desparate look" on his face. Some animals sense fear, some women sense that "I need a woman look"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships