Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,907,765 times

Advertisements

y'know, the more i think about it, the more i think it might already be, otherwise you probably wouldn't have posted up to ask.

it doesn't necessarily mean the end, or that you shouldn't try, but just go into it with your eyes open. if any problems do arise, deal with them straight away, don't let them drag out, and you'll be fine.

think of it like driving your car with a leaking radiator, you know there's a possible problem, so you keep your eye on the temperature gauge, and don't let it get too high. stop and put water in, and you'll get where you need to be without roasting the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
Too much of an age difference (generally speaking)? We get along fairly well, although it's way too early to tell if it'll go anywhere. I just don't want to keep this up if age is going to be an issue. I know it's different in every case, but I'm a typical 28, I don't know enough about him to say if he's young at heart or not. We have fun going out, but don't know if pursuing this is wise considering he's about 12 yrs older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,561,209 times
I know a woman that when she was 35, she married a 19 year old guy, they were so well suited for each other and as far as I know, they are still together and she should be a senior citizen now. They just belonged together and were a joy to be around. I have lost touch with them over the years.

Had a 35+ year old brother in law that married a lot younger (early 20's) and they have raise 2 children and have a wonderful relationship.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:07 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,291,509 times
When he's 75 you'll be 63.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 AM

212 posts, read 857,514 times
Thanks all for your answers!

A little more insight, he's a doctor, a surgeon on top of it. I'm not seeing him for his money, if I was, I wouldn't even be questioning it on this board. I really do like the fact he is very smart. I don't know how often someone like this comes along. Would this affect your decision?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,013,196 times
I'm 22, he's 52. Try that one on for difficulty. He's madly crazy about me I'm kind of tepid. It's a volatile one. And I ain't gay.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,224,190 times
Default What kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
Thanks all for your answers!

A little more insight, he's a doctor, a surgeon on top of it. I'm not seeing him for his money, if I was, I wouldn't even be questioning it on this board. I really do like the fact he is very smart. I don't know how often someone like this comes along. Would this affect your decision?
A plastic surgeon? Might be a couple of benefits there for you.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:06 AM

212 posts, read 857,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
A plastic surgeon? Might be a couple of benefits there for you.
hahaha. heart surgeon

Old 10-03-2009, 11:20 AM

51,965 posts, read 52,419,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I know a woman that when she was 35, she married a 19 year old guy, they were so well suited for each other and as far as I know, they are still together and she should be a senior citizen now. They just belonged together and were a joy to be around. I have lost touch with them over the years.

Had a 35+ year old brother in law that married a lot younger (early 20's) and they have raise 2 children and have a wonderful relationship.
No offense, but 35 and 19 is a little creepy. She could almost be his mother.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:43 PM

11,261 posts, read 18,787,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
When I was 27, I was in a fairly serious relationship with a 41 year old, but the differences between us were too great. I wasn't ready to settle down, he was. He was terribly possesive, and very "old school" about many things, where I was not. Eventually I ended things. But that was me - everyone is different. If it works for you, go for it.
How long ago was this? I'm 41 and we're not as "old school" as we used to be Seriously, as an example, much as technology permeates the younger generation today, at least we had in our late 20s much of the things todays people that age have tech wise, just on much simpler levels. Whereas when I was 27 most 40 somethings I knew were almost as clueless around a computer (and more so the nascent Internet) as many seniors today. I also don't think the Gen X vs. Gen Y divide culturally is as stiff as it was between Gen X and the baby boomers (not that they're exactly the same, but just less difference, like I don't think Gen Y resents or blames Gen X bosses with today's recession the way we did baby boomers in the early 90s recession, nor to reverse it do we think you're all lazy slackers like they did us circa 1992 or so, but I'm generalizing and not looking to start a 2nd thread here).

That said, my dad was 41 and my mom 25 when they got married (and I was born a year later). The main issue was that my mom was relatively young (late 50s) dealing with a sick and dying man (and that assumes the older of the couple doesn't live to 90 or 100). But other than that you should be OK and you're talking 12 years, not 16.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 PM

19,462 posts, read 12,098,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
How long ago was this? I'm 41 and we're not as "old school" as we used to be Seriously, as an example, much as technology permeates the younger generation today, at least we had in our late 20s much of the things todays people that age have tech wise, just on much simpler levels. Whereas when I was 27 most 40 somethings I knew were almost as clueless around a computer (and more so the nascent Internet) as many seniors today. I also don't think the Gen X vs. Gen Y divide culturally is as stiff as it was between Gen X and the baby boomers (not that they're exactly the same, but just less difference, like I don't think Gen Y resents or blames Gen X bosses with today's recession the way we did baby boomers in the early 90s recession, nor to reverse it do we think you're all lazy slackers like they did us circa 1992 or so, but I'm generalizing and not looking to start a 2nd thread here).

That said, my dad was 41 and my mom 25 when they got married (and I was born a year later). The main issue was that my mom was relatively young (late 50s) dealing with a sick and dying man (and that assumes the older of the couple doesn't live to 90 or 100). But other than that you should be OK and you're talking 12 years, not 16.
Well I am 41 and I am old school. I have friends of all ages but when it comes to a relationship I would not have much in common with someone in their twenties. Some people don't care about matching generational experience so it wouldn't matter to them. But I would not deny that those differences exist. There is nothing that makes me feel closer to a person than having been through life in sync. If that is not important, then go for it - have fun, but know that there will be differences to deal with if not now, at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships