Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 PM

212 posts, read 859,445 times

Advertisements

how often does a guy call? in a dating situation - about a little over a month. I'm a little confused. My situation is he calls to chat maybe once a week, and I also see him about once a week. I haven't called him to talk yet, because I don't think we're at a point we can talk easily on the phone w/o awkward silences. We talk fine in person, but the phone is a little bit uncomfortable. And if he does call to chat, is it a pretty good sign he's interested? what I mean is, a guy wouldn't call you to talk if he is not interested at all right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 PM

612 posts, read 1,844,910 times
So let me get this straight... A guy couldn't call just for a casual, friendly conversation??

Last edited by Johnny Bananas; 10-21-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
I think he may be interested...when he stops calling ...thats when you have problems...also here is a thought...call him?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM

37,659 posts, read 46,092,359 times
The reason you aren't comfortable talking on the phone, is that you haven't spend enough time talking, period. You won't get comfortable, until you spend enough time communicating. Get busy.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,413,585 times
Age old question for what? The balance of showing interest but not too much interest? Making yourself available but not hounding?

It depends on the people I guess. Different people have different schedules or life things going on. But I'd like to talk to her at least a couple times a week if it was a non serious but lets see what happens because I do like you type thing.

I don't really like talking on the phone other than a five minute hey what's up type call. If we are going to get into a deep conversation I'd rather just meet. But that's me anyway I don't like phones, some guys might like chit chatting on a phone for a hour but not me.

You have to go with your instinct for what you think should be because only you know him we don't. There is no rule on stuff like this at least I don't think so others may I dunno...

Personally I would call you the day after a date for a quick hello and set it up somehow to let you know we'll talk again soon just so you know I'm interested without being over bearing.To make you know you are in my mind but I have a life also. Then a couple days or so maybe as the weekend is approaching I'd call to see what's new and ask if you wanted to do something tommorrow or Saturday or whatever.

But if there is any real interest in wanting to know somebody I would think that talking to them even if just a quick chat would happen more than once a week.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,415,579 times
My thoughts... (I know, they aren't worth much, and it hurts me to use that thing upstairs, but hell..)

When I'm interested in someone, I'll call them a couple times a week.. Granted, at the start, the conversations aren't that long, but I'll still call just to say hey. I'm not a phone person though, so when I call someone then that's usually a good sign that I'm interested.

I wouldn't worry about anything right now though. Things are still new, and it takes time for people to really get to know one another.

So, I think that it's time that you start giving him a call to show him that You're interested as well. The awkward silences can easily be overcome. Here's a tip: Everyone loves to talk about themselves. When one is genuinely interested in another person, then they'll ask that person questions about themselves. If you really don't know what to ask, just look online. There are several thousand websites about conversation starters. Sure, some of them may be kinda lame - like, "If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?" - but it'll get the conversation going again. Last time I asked that question, I got on a four hour long conversation about Egypt. It's just part of getting to know one another.

Thing is, it sounds like he's definitely interested. Maybe now it's your turn to move things forward.

I wish you the best!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,658,278 times
My boyfriend calls every day. 2-3x a day on average. I will call him once or twice, as well, he loves to know that I am thinking of him too. It's when a guy stops calling you is when it's time to throw up a flag of concern. As long as he's still calling you, it allllll sounds good. Call him a time or two as well, he could be wondering why you aren't doing so, never know.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,413,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
he loves to know that I am thinking of him too..

Absolutely. A one way street starts making you think you are at the bottom of their priorities and guessing whether you actually matter to them at all.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,397,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbr View Post
how often does a guy call? in a dating situation - about a little over a month. I'm a little confused. My situation is he calls to chat maybe once a week, and I also see him about once a week. I haven't called him to talk yet, because I don't think we're at a point we can talk easily on the phone w/o awkward silences. We talk fine in person, but the phone is a little bit uncomfortable. And if he does call to chat, is it a pretty good sign he's interested? what I mean is, a guy wouldn't call you to talk if he is not interested at all right?
Well, depends. If it's a very casual relationship, just casually dating, hanging out once in a while, then whatever, calling once a week is fine. However, if he is serious about you and really wants to take it to another level, he will make attempts to call you more often and see you more often.

When a man is really into a woman and starts dating her exclusively, then in my opinion, he should be calling her daily, to check how she is doing. Even if it's just a quick "hey, just calling to say hi"...Once a week doesn't seem like a serious thing to me. In this situation, it's okay for a woman to call too, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships