Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 AM

122 posts, read 402,791 times

Advertisements

I've always had a problem with letting things go in my life. It's usually materialistic objects I have a hard time letting go, as well as people.

Right now, I am dealing with my biggest challenge of my life. I want, and need to move. My life is a wreak, and has been for a year and half now and I really don't think it's going to get any better where I live. I don't have anything going for me in this city and most of my family has moved away and I don't even have any friends. My life is very boring and dull and am overall just not happy.

I want to move and be closer to my dad as well as move into a much larger city. However, I am having a very hard time with the idea of letting go of my mom and grandparents. They have always been there for me my entire life and I love them very much. I see my mom every day and my grandparents several times a week.

I can't keep living my life the way I have for the past couple of years... it's just not working for me and I really need a fresh start. I just can't seem to let go of my mom and grandparents for the life of me. I would be moving to a place that is over 900 miles away, so it's not as if I could visit them often. It's a complete restart of my life which I know deep down that I need.

How do you cope with letting go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 AM

10,185 posts, read 20,850,258 times
Don't look at it as letting go. You can always go back there, it's not as though you are going to prison or being drafted into a war. Try the move, and if you aren't happy then make arrangements to move back. At least you can say you tried instead of having regrets later on in life that you didn't spend the time with your dad when you had the chance.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,946,473 times
With the internet and social networking, you don't really have to let go anymore. Get a webcam for each of you, spend some time learning how to use it. Save up for a visit once a year.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Thanks. I went up there about a year ago as I was/am planning on staying with some family I have there. Last year, I packed my car up and drove there and I stayed 24 hours, turned around and came back home. I regret not giving it a chance and wish I had. The first day (the 24 hours I was there) wasn't very pleasant, the weather was depressing, the house was trashed, and I was really homesick before I even got there. I wish I had gave it a few months at least instead of only 24 hours.

This is why I am wanting to go back, I came back home and once again, I am unhappy with my life and coming back only made my life worse. If I go back up there, I am staying this time.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,021,337 times
Don't care.

That has always worked for me.

Seriously, you have to start living your life. Stop living you life for everyone else. You seem to be one of the few who do this. The world is in a "me first" mode and you are still wanting to be with the ones you love.

I would move away and see how it goes. You may just end up liking it.

I do wonder how old you are though. I think it's time to cut the cord my friend.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM

16,223 posts, read 25,739,935 times
Yep. I agree and say get on with living! Life is too short.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,674,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Don't care.

That has always worked for me.

Seriously, you have to start living your life. Stop living you life for everyone else. You seem to be one of the few who do this. The world is in a "me first" mode and you are still wanting to be with the ones you love.

I would move away and see how it goes. You may just end up liking it.
Seems someone should take his own advice.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,057,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJimLay View Post
I've always had a problem with letting things go in my life. It's usually materialistic objects I have a hard time letting go, as well as people.

Right now, I am dealing with my biggest challenge of my life. I want, and need to move. My life is a wreak, and has been for a year and half now and I really don't think it's going to get any better where I live. I don't have anything going for me in this city and most of my family has moved away and I don't even have any friends. My life is very boring and dull and am overall just not happy.

I want to move and be closer to my dad as well as move into a much larger city. However, I am having a very hard time with the idea of letting go of my mom and grandparents. They have always been there for me my entire life and I love them very much. I see my mom every day and my grandparents several times a week.

I can't keep living my life the way I have for the past couple of years... it's just not working for me and I really need a fresh start. I just can't seem to let go of my mom and grandparents for the life of me. I would be moving to a place that is over 900 miles away, so it's not as if I could visit them often. It's a complete restart of my life which I know deep down that I need.

How do you cope with letting go?

Well, in my experience, I have found that many people like to up and move to somehow fix there life, but I never hear them question if the problem is manifesting from within. So are you sure moving to restart your life will fix the problem? (You don't haft to answer that it's just something to think about.) You know you can restart your life right where you are!

As far as dealing with letting things go; well, I just think about how a person or a tangible object weighs in on the overall grand scheme of things. In other words, I'm going to die one day and at that point all the people I know and all the money and material possessions I have will mean nothing.

So with that said, why allow yourself to get overly attached to anything other then your inner self, which I believe has the ability to exist outside of our physical body's.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,446,601 times
You and I are in the EXACT situation. I live in a place 650 miles from my closest family member, I have hardly any friends (no good ones at all), and most days it seems as though I'm just a walking zombie--going to work, coming home, going to work, coming home, etc. Like others have said, don't treat this like you're giving something up--think of it as a new start!

Quote:
“Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to great places, you’re off and away. You have brains in your head, you have feet in you shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own and you know what you know, and YOU are the guy who’ll decide where you go.”

“And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! (98 and 3/4% guaranteed). Kid you’ll move mountains! So... be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray, or Mordeci Ali Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to great places! Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting so get on your way!”

--Dr. Seuss

Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Morphous01,

I tried to keep the post as short as possible so I didn't put in a lot of information. I live in a small town called Pensacola, FL which is pretty much all to it's own. I'm not anywhere near Tampa, Ocala, Jacksonville, or Miami. Miami alone is a 11 to 12 hour drive from me and Tampa is 9 hours I think? Jacksonville is 6 hours from me. I was laid off a year and half ago from my IT job and have been unemployed since then. I have been able to pick up some small odd jobs here and there, but I have pretty much lost everything in my life. I don't have any friends, don't have a decent car (I am driving a beater with a gas leak) and still am unable to find work. I've always hated this area because of the job market as this city is small (population 52,000) but has 5 military bases and is mostly just retirement and tourest. The city doesn't have a lot fo offer and most of the jobs here are very low paying at only $9 or $10 an hour, which is next to impossible to live off of due to insurance costs and rent/house prices in this area. As I said, this area has always had a bad job market and now that the economy has sunk, it's impossible to find a job here. Also, since this city is small, there is very little in the IT field when compared to a larger city, and IT is my love and my passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships