Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,571,169 times

Advertisements

"Brutal honesty, that's what I'm about."

"I tell it like it is. The truth hurts, deal with it."

"I don't sugarcoat anything."

How many of you have heard this type of thing from someone on a regular basis? What was your impression of them?

Personally, I give them . I find, in almost every case, these people are emotional vampires who's intention is not to enlighten or help you with the truth, but to purposely offend and alienate you. It's all about the shock factor that ultimately makes them the center of attention.

Last edited by mrstewart; 10-22-2009 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: reports of disturbing video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:02 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,974,756 times
I have found this to be correct, they are also quick to point out when others are 'liars'. Usually these people lack tact, so they try to say "I cut through the crap". Opinionated losers.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,606,020 times
Brutal honesty is a fault of mine, I've had to work on toning it down,
don't like small talk either, oh s*it, I'm just socially inept

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 PM

607 posts, read 1,335,754 times
It's justification for being rude. These folks are jerks. In my opinion. (None of us here say that, right?)

Old 10-22-2009, 05:26 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,337,356 times
There is a difference between being honest and being rude. Common courtesy/manners should keep you from outright hurting someone's feeling for the sake of being honest.

Example. If your friend stepped outside in purple/green striped socks and platform vinyl shoes, instead of saying you look like a damn fool...it would be kinder to say, hey let's see if we can find something in your closet that would really set your outfit off!

It's all about tact....it will get the point across and save relationships!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,915,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
There is a difference between being honest and being rude.
I agree. And it's never rude to tell the truth always...

Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 PM

985 posts, read 2,603,710 times
I have a good friend that says that, I just think it's funny. As far as I know she's not an "emotional vampire," but she'll tell me the cold hard truth if I ask her opinion. I've found I ask for her opinion/advice more often that my other friends because I trust that she means what she says. Some people that say that are jerks and some aren't, like everyone else, it just depends on the individual. The guy you overheard was obviously one of the jerks.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,005,340 times
Seeniorita is right. There is definitely a distinct difference between common courtesy and just being rude. People should know the difference. And, it really just boils down to somone lacking in basic communication skills.

I think its different when communicating in person than when communicating online. The written word is best when it gets straight to the point. I think a lot of people when online (like here on CD) just look for someone to hold their hand, and be nice to them because they dont have it in their "real lives". For example, someone in the Exercise threads would say:

"Oh I really dont know what to do, Im 75 pounds overweight, but I just love to eat and I dont like exercise. Im lonely, want to find someone to love me, but people cant get past my size. What should I do?". I would respond:

"Well you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and blaming all your woes on your weight. If you you know your obesity is the root cause of the issue, do something about it instead of crying about it."

This is to the point. Nothing wrong with this. Not being rude, just stating facts. But you can see how someone could possibly say its "too strong" whereas others would say "Right On".

Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,606,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
There is a difference between being honest and being rude. Common courtesy/manners should keep you from outright hurting someone's feeling for the sake of being honest.

Example. If your friend stepped outside in purple/green striped socks and platform vinyl shoes, instead of saying you look like a damn fool...it would be kinder to say, hey let's see if we can find something in your closet that would really set your outfit off!

It's all about tact....it will get the point across and save relationships!
\

Now this is where my bluntness would take over, I would have asked her where her trick or treat bag was.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,337,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Seeniorita is right. There is definitely a distinct difference between common courtesy and just being rude. People should know the difference. And, it really just boils down to somone lacking in basic communication skills.

I think its different when communicating in person than when communicating online. The written word is best when it gets straight to the point. I think a lot of people when online (like here on CD) just look for someone to hold their hand, and be nice to them because they dont have it in their "real lives". For example, someone in the Exercise threads would say:

"Oh I really dont know what to do, Im 75 pounds overweight, but I just love to eat and I dont like exercise. Im lonely, want to find someone to love me, but people cant get past my size. What should I do?". I would respond:

"Well you need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and blaming all your woes on your weight. If you you know your obesity is the root cause of the issue, do something about it instead of crying about it."

This is to the point. Nothing wrong with this. Not being rude, just stating facts. But you can see how someone could possibly say its "too strong" whereas others would say "Right On".
That's right Lao,

You may WANT to say...

Get off your fat a** and do something about it! The fact that you have cankles did not clue you into the fact that you were overweight?

Instead the TACTFULl thing to say would be....

Why don't you try doing x exercise..it's easy on the your joints and a good place to start!

*All the while you can be THINKIG....hope you don't break the f*ing treadmill while you are at it!! "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships