Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

I have a buddy who is only average looking, but has a very good income (CPA), very nice truck and is buying his house. The key word in the last sentence is "average" when it comes to looks! He is always tring to meet ladies that look like Models! How far does he get in a relationship with them? Well, he is still single! They like his truck (of course), like his money (of course) and likes his house (of course), but his LOOKS, well
As for when I was single, I never-ever asked a gal out that a lot of men would consider "hot/foxy"! For one thing, I couldn't afford them!
Now my wife, she is as average looking as I am........great match!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
When my male friends or relatives talk about an interest in a specific woman I hear the term, "she is out of your league" mentioned often. I wonder what exactly that means in dating.

I can understand that term in High School. The school nerd is not generally going to get a date with the Cheerleaders or the Home Coming Queen. There is a dating peaking order in High School and in some colleges. What what determines a "person's league" in the adult world exactly? Is is money, career success, the hipness factor, money, social status, sex appeal or just plain looks?

Could a millionaire nerdy looking guy get a date with a foxy sexy girl because he is rich when he would be out of his league if he were a $20K a year grocery stock person? Does money transcend league?

Tell us more about about dating in and out of your league. Is your significant other in your league?
Usually, it's the other person that determines that.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
When my male friends or relatives talk about an interest in a specific woman I hear the term, "she is out of your league" mentioned often. I wonder what exactly that means in dating.

I can understand that term in High School. The school nerd is not generally going to get a date with the Cheerleaders or the Home Coming Queen. There is a dating peaking order in High School and in some colleges. What what determines a "person's league" in the adult world exactly? Is is money, career success, the hipness factor, money, social status, sex appeal or just plain looks?

Could a millionaire nerdy looking guy get a date with a foxy sexy girl because he is rich when he would be out of his league if he were a $20K a year grocery stock person? Does money transcend league?

Tell us more about about dating in and out of your league. Is your significant other in your league?
Ah, so you're going to continue to post hypotheticals just like Weekend Traveler (the dazzling duo) did? I'll bite but it's only going to be bite, catch and release.

First what do YOU think it means?

What do YOU think determines anyone's "league"? Tell us more about what YOU think where your question is concerned.

Does money transcend "league"? - what do YOU think?

Tell us about your experiences dating in and out of "the league." Has it been a problem for you? If so why?

Look forward to your response. Cheers!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Just look at professional athletes and musicians. Some of them are ugly as sin, but they've got the hottest women on their arms. They also have some of the most evil gold diggers around, so you get what you pay for. I'm sure Bill Gates can have the hottest women that money can buy, even if they aren't prostitutes, but beneath their outer beauty what is he getting?
Yeah, ask Steve McNair....Magic Johnson....and many others what you can "get". This is the problem with picking out women solely based upon looks.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I don't know. I can pretty much talk to anybody, and I'm not intimidated by anybody.

That being said, if you're walking around thinking that people are out of your league, then it's pretty much a self-examination moment more than anything. I mean, would you date you?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I have a buddy who is only average looking, but has a very good income (CPA), very nice truck and is buying his house. The key word in the last sentence is "average" when it comes to looks! He is always tring to meet ladies that look like Models! How far does he get in a relationship with them? Well, he is still single! They like his truck (of course), like his money (of course) and likes his house (of course), but his LOOKS, well
As for when I was single, I never-ever asked a gal out that a lot of men would consider "hot/foxy"! For one thing, I couldn't afford them!
Now my wife, she is as average looking as I am........great match!
Do you say that to her?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:13 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I mean, would you date you?
I never thought of thinking that way. I mean I think I would look kinda silly sitting in a restaurant, ordering for two and being the only one there talking to myself. If I feel like its a bad date, then I can just walk out. But then who would pay the bill?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I never thought of thinking that way. I mean I think I would look kinda silly sitting in a restaurant, ordering for two and being the only one there talking to myself. If I feel like its a bad date, then I can just walk out. But then who would pay the bill?
True. But you could admire yourself. And you'd be terribly interested in everything you had to say, right?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:25 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True. But you could admire yourself. And you'd be terribly interested in everything you had to say, right?
LOL, true and you wouldn't be contradicted and told you're wrong.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
"Out of your league" is something you'd think people would've outgrown by high school. Unfortunately, the real world isn't all that different. If you're an average looking guy and you walk into a room with a gorgeous woman, people will look at you and wonder how you ever landed a woman like that. Likewise, if you're wealthy, educated and successful and you're dating someone who never finished high school, people will wonder why you're with her. It's implied that you could do better and that you're dating beneath you. Ultimately, it all comes down to what other people think and whether you even care what they think. If you don't, that's great. If you're someone who factors in other people's opinion to the extent that it would determine who you date or don't date, then maybe you need to go back to high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships