Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,179,531 times

Advertisements

What determines if someone is "out of your league"?

When they take one look at you and say 'No f'ing way!"

A friend of mine also suggested checking the lable in their clothing ...lol

Last edited by Thursday007; 10-21-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 02:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
"Out of your league" is something you'd think people would've outgrown by high school. Unfortunately, the real world isn't all that different. If you're an average looking guy and you walk into a room with a gorgeous woman, people will look at you and wonder how you ever landed a woman like that. Likewise, if you're wealthy, educated and successful and you're dating someone who never finished high school, people will wonder why you're with her. It's implied that you could do better and that you're dating beneath you. Ultimately, it all comes down to what other people think and whether you even care what they think. If you don't, that's great. If you're someone who factors in other people's opinion to the extent that it would determine who you date or don't date, then maybe you need to go back to high school.
Well, yes and no. Let me put it to you this way.

Let's just say you're a high school dropout, living in your mother's basement, smoking a bong, playing computer games, and delivering pizzas when you feel like it for beer money.

One day, by sheer serendipity, you deliver a pizza and it's this girl you went to high school. You know the type. Long, flowing hair. Beautiful smile. Kind, expressive face. Always nice to everybody. Not stuck up. Just that perfect person that everybody in your class either liked outright or grudgingly admired because of her kind disposition and genuine warmth to just about everybody.

She says, "Speedy! How have you been?" and gives you a big hug. She invites you in while she digs money out of her purse to pay. Her place is nicely, tastefully appointed. While she hunts around for her purse, she mentions that she graduated college early, went on to law school, passed the bar exam, and is making six figures as junior partner in her law firm, while helping the homeless.

She looks at you, at your grubby Grateful Dead t-shirt, your two-day growth of beard, your jeans that are thinning at the knees and asks, "Well, so what are you doing with yourself?"

Here's your chance, big guy. Are you going to go for the gusto and ask her out?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Leagues? Bowling, Baseball, Football, Soccer, Hockey, Fantasy Football,
if you don't know what league you belong to you really should drop out of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
When my male friends or relatives talk about an interest in a specific woman I hear the term, "she is out of your league" mentioned often. I wonder what exactly that means in dating.

I can understand that term in High School. The school nerd is not generally going to get a date with the Cheerleaders or the Home Coming Queen. There is a dating peaking order in High School and in some colleges. What what determines a "person's league" in the adult world exactly? Is is money, career success, the hipness factor, money, social status, sex appeal or just plain looks?

Could a millionaire nerdy looking guy get a date with a foxy sexy girl because he is rich when he would be out of his league if he were a $20K a year grocery stock person? Does money transcend league?

Tell us more about about dating in and out of your league. Is your significant other in your league?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 PM

440 posts, read 1,030,120 times
I don't really consider anyone "out of my league." Sure other people might say tell me someone is out of my league or I'm out of theirs, but all in all I'm happy if I get along with the other person and am attracted to them. If someone can make me laugh and get butterflies flappin around and are good looking (not like model lol just not busted haha) then I'm in great shape! And attraction isn't necessarily "out of your league" its more of a personal preference.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, yes and no. Let me put it to you this way.

Let's just say you're a high school dropout, living in your mother's basement, smoking a bong, playing computer games, and delivering pizzas when you feel like it for beer money.

One day, by sheer serendipity, you deliver a pizza and it's this girl you went to high school. You know the type. Long, flowing hair. Beautiful smile. Kind, expressive face. Always nice to everybody. Not stuck up. Just that perfect person that everybody in your class either liked outright or grudgingly admired because of her kind disposition and genuine warmth to just about everybody.

She says, "Speedy! How have you been?" and gives you a big hug. She invites you in while she digs money out of her purse to pay. Her place is nicely, tastefully appointed. While she hunts around for her purse, she mentions that she graduated college early, went on to law school, passed the bar exam, and is making six figures as junior partner in her law firm, while helping the homeless.

She looks at you, at your grubby Grateful Dead t-shirt, your two-day growth of beard, your jeans that are thinning at the knees and asks, "Well, so what are you doing with yourself?"

Here's your chance, big guy. Are you going to go for the gusto and ask her out?
Good point. Not only is it other people who decide who's in our league, we also do it to ourselves. I'm an average looking guy and I've seen women who I wanted to meet, but immediately declared were out of my league because they were stunningly beautiful or incredibly hot.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That being said, if you're walking around thinking that people are out of your league, then it's pretty much a self-examination moment more than anything. I mean, would you date you?
While this is true, there's also reality in life, and you, cpg, are normally pretty good at acknowledging it! I would think you're not making an exception for this particular fairy-tale case most are in denial of... Or are you? I’m not being sarcastic; simply not sure how to take your statement.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:02 PM

196 posts, read 564,098 times
cpg35223

Old 10-21-2009, 04:02 PM

84 posts, read 268,256 times
Does the average person have a pretty good idea what league they are in so they will not embarrass themselves and get kicked to the curb? How much of the league you are in is based on your income, education or looks?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times

Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Just look at professional athletes and musicians. Some of them are ugly as sin, but they've got the hottest women on their arms. They also have some of the most evil gold diggers around, so you get what you pay for. I'm sure Bill Gates can have the hottest women that money can buy, even if they aren't prostitutes, but beneath their outer beauty what is he getting?
Exactly! There have been only a few cases (rare) of beautiful women that I know of, who really have fallen for a broke, or non-wealthy male. Or, a homely/non-good-looking, male for that matter. If you find one of those precious few, you'd be best to snatch her up and keep her (happy) forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships