Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
At my divorce from my second wife, I was given the decision if her last name stayed or went back to her maiden name, I told the judge to change it back.
then the judge is just as big a dick as the ex-husband
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
OK, OK, OK. Let me rephrase it. Would you allow? your ex to keep your last name? Better now?
it's the same thing!

what part of "you don't get to control her life"
don't you understand?

what part of "it's not your decision to make"
do you not get?

what part of "she's not your piece of property"
is hard to comprehend?

what don't you get about trying to "allow her" anything is why she is divorcing you?

i would like to think this post is a joke
but the sad and nauseating part is, it is real life

Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, I have his last name and mine and I am not ALLOWED to drop his last name unless he ALLOWS me to drop it in the divorce decree.

That is nuts!!

I am going to request it, and will see what happens.
you don't have to "request" anything

let's cut to the chase

you can legally change your name at any time to whatever you want.
there is a form for that, you fill it in, you file it with the court, you pay your $75 (or whatever), you appear before a judge,you answer some questions, and you have your new LEGAL name

Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
I can change my name to Mickey Mouse and it would be legal.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I bore children with that name and I had that name for 28 years. He was adamant that I change it and tried to make it part of the divorce decree that I HAD to find another last name. I told the judge this: I bore this jerk children and they are MY children more than they are his as he never once took them to the emergency room, got up during the night for them, took them to soccer practice, or church choir, never once went to a PTA meeting or a parent teacher meeting; had never once met the principal of their schools or any of their teachers; didn't know their doctors, had never met their orthopedist; and now he wants to divorce ME from MY children? That's my name by virtue of my children. If he no longer wants to share the same last name with me, he is welcome to take any other name he wishes. I am not changing my name, unless my grown children agree to take whatever name I have and I will not have him continue to try to force his will on me as he did for all those years. I'm no longer his victim.

Judge asked him if he wanted to change HIS name.
i love this story Annie!

When I got married at age 20 I took on my husband's name. it immediately felt weird and uncomfortable. i had always written and published under my own name since age 12. I just could not put "his" name as a byline on my published articles and books. So I changed it back a few years into the marriage. That felt much better. The kids have his last name. If I had it to do over again, half the kids would have my last name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships