Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 02:23 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi66 View Post
I suppose it could be (with my limited sample) that these men aren't married *because* they're immature, not the other way around. But I've decided that being previously married must tend to provide maturity because of the required give and take in a relationship, not having the universe revolve around him, that sort of thing? What do you think?

I've met two men in the past year who always wanted to be married, but were in the 40's and never had been. One was extremely overweight so my guess is that hampered his social life a lot. The other says he doesn't know why he's single, he's "picky", "set in my ways" ... They are responsible and educated and have jobs and are decent people and all that good stuff, but my interaction with them was like talking to a 19 year old boy.
No, in fact most single older men just enjoy having a good time without feeling and acting like an old fart. What is wrong with that? Many of these same guys are substantially more interesting and have all kinds of hobbies and things they do and have done to occupy their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I agree with what one poster mentioned earlier. It's not everyone's goal to be married and settled down by 25. There are probably a lot of married men out there who would act just as immaturely as the 'unmarrieds' given the opportunity.
The only difference between the married and unmarried men is that the married guys get smacked with a broom when a woman thinks they are immature. So they hide out in men's clubs.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
My partner is 45, never married, no children and still rents. What does that say about him?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
My partner is 45, never married, no children and still rents. What does that say about him?
Is he in the military? I know military men like that. Their careers are their priority, they know they can't have what they feel is an appropriate family relationship--would rather not have a family at all than do the part-time thing six months a year, especially during wartime--so they never got married.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Mom bragged to me once about breaking up his engagement (to a physician no less!). Mom is controlling and manipulative. To me it is an absolutely sick dynamic all the way around. Is he mature? Well, he makes boatloads of money in a career, so he is financially capable and works full-time. But emotionally he is crippled and a workaholic, and totally under mom's thumb. So I would say that he is NOT mature.

"Loretta, I can't marry you."

"WHAT?!?"

"If I marry you, my mother will die!"

[youtube]B94kLpNrg_k[/youtube]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B94kLpNrg_k]YouTube - Moonstruck - The Movie [10/11][/url]

Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
because theres no woman to thump them over the head when they do stupid sh*t.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default what is the issue

with still renting? I am that age and still rent and i'm single and don't have kids. been on my own since 29. i'm not comfortable with the responsibilities of ownership of property so i rent

Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
i think it lends to them being immature because they don't have to assume the heavy responsibility of caring for someone more than themselves. they also tend to be more selfish.

don't believe me?

if you're a single guy - answer this:

Do you have a super large screen television in a small apartment? you know the kind of tv, the screen takes up an entire wall and you have a chair or sofa nearly crushed up on top of the screen (and you have to nearly climb over furniture to navigate round the room) cause the screen is too large for the room. also, add 10 points if that tv is hooked up to an xbox, ps3 or wii. add 20 points if you have it hooked up to more than one television in the same room so you can watch two sports shows at once.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Is he in the military?
Nope. He has never been a career man.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
i think it lends to them being immature because they don't have to assume the heavy responsibility of caring for someone more than themselves. they also tend to be more selfish.

don't believe me?

if you're a single guy - answer this:

Do you have a super large screen television in a small apartment? you know the kind of tv, the screen takes up an entire wall and you have a chair or sofa nearly crushed up on top of the screen (and you have to nearly climb over furniture to navigate round the room) cause the screen is too large for the room. also, add 10 points if that tv is hooked up to an xbox, ps3 or wii. add 20 points if you have it hooked up to more than one television in the same room so you can watch two sports shows at once.
No, I don't. I have a 27" Toshiba.LOL.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships