Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times

Advertisements

I'm from the south-west, so hearing ANY accent is hot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Have you ever experienced an immediate and complete connection with someone, within just a few days? One where you felt that this person could be "the one"? I'm NOT talking about a sexual hookup either, so throw out those experiences.

Have you, or anyone you know, ever experienced this? Did it last? Or did it burn out just as quickly?
It has been explained. Imago is based on the best-seller “Getting The Love You Want” by Harville Hendrix, PhD. I have a lot of respect for his work.

Imago Relationship Theory teaches that romantic love, which you experience at the beginning of your relationship, is the way our unconscious seeks to restore the feeling of joyful aliveness we felt as a young child. We’re attracted to people who emotionally resemble our primary caretakers, because we unknowingly believe they can provide these emotional needs. We call this “finding our Imago match”. Imago is the Latin word for image, the subconscious image of our perfect partner.

However when we choose a partner who is our “Imago match” they resemble both the positive AND the negative qualities of our primary caretakers. It’s these negative qualities that create confusion and disillusionment when we realize that they are not able to meet our deepest emotional needs.

Pre-Marital - Marriage Enrichment - Divorce Prevention - Marriage Counseling Elk Grove California

Imago Relationships

Imago Theory - Imago Relationship Therapy

Chessie, I for one know of no other way to be attracted to somebody and never understood how else other people do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I'm from Boston and this is the first time I've ever heard the Boston accent called "sexy".
Maybe I should've kept mine...
Trust me, you're not gonna hear that often, if ever again!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post

Trust me, you're not gonna hear that often, if ever again!
Actually, I've heard it MANY times since mentioning it in my circle of friends several months ago.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Actually, I've heard it MANY times since mentioning it in my circle of friends several months ago.
I'm surprised. Nobody I know likes Boston accent and people from the area have tried to get rid of it. I love the fact you hardly ever hear annoying accents in AZ - other than from us foreigners that is.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm surprised. Nobody I know likes Boston accent and people from the area have tried to get rid of it. I love the fact you hardly ever hear annoying accents in AZ - other than from us foreigners that is.
I almost have a hick Utah accent. Luckily I've been away for over 5 years, so it comes and goes.

I'm a HUGE fan of Boston and New York accents. I think they're hella sexy!!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Have you ever experienced an immediate and complete connection with someone, within just a few days? One where you felt that this person could be "the one"? I'm NOT talking about a sexual hookup either, so throw out those experiences.

Have you, or anyone you know, ever experienced this? Did it last? Or did it burn out just as quickly?
Had it...and yes it burned out quickly....

Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Yes, I have. Just once.

It's been almost a year and it's still the best. For a long time, we were both waiting for the other shoe to fall. Waiting to learn something heinous we just couldn't live with. Waiting for the fairy tale to come to a grinding halt and turn into a train wreck. We've been through some very tough times, financially, and we've loved each other through them.

We're both old enough to know that things like this don't happen all that often. It's like winning the lottery. Someone gets the money but it's never you. Maybe this one time, I got the prize.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
I don't believe anyone is "meant to be with someone" either. That is NOT what I said, or intended. However, I do believe that some people DO find someone that they CAN share a lifetime with.
Don't get your feathers in a ruffle just because I don't agree.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Twice upon a time, I thought I had it. It ended up being...LIES...ALL LIES!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Lets see, started dating...
6 days later told her I was going to marry her, she told me I was crazy
1 month later engaged
3 months later married
8 years later, still as happy as day one.
Good for you...see there is hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships