Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times

Advertisements

gwyn, one more thing...I still have to install several wall cabinets. I can't even carry them, let alone hold them up while screwing them to the wall. My dh is not approachable until finals are over. So...in all my weakness, I'm going to jack them up, like we would when changing a tire. I'm not strong, but I can figure out how to manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
To show my feminism, I'm going to start a tacky restaurant chain called "Peckers"...lol...sorry...I couldn't resist !
LMAO!!!! Greatness.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
a good and proper tool that got reconstructed into a weapon. at first it was a power share then it quickly became a power grab. the self proclaimed moral giant who would step forth to reform the home and work place has turned out to be a home invader thug in pink. what does gloria steinem have to say bout 50% drop in marriage and a 50% failure rate? whats your point, its a sign of the times.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
gwyn, one more thing...I still have to install several wall cabinets. I can't even carry them, let alone hold them up while screwing them to the wall. My dh is not approachable until finals are over. So...in all my weakness, I'm going to jack them up, like we would when changing a tire. I'm not strong, but I can figure out how to manage.
Hi Braunwyn,

I have a wall oven I need to get up the stairs. I'll need to add some brains to that one.
As for female electricians? Sure why not? Butt cracks for stay at home dads

Old 11-09-2009, 11:22 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
No, you're wrong here. I was responsding to this post...

I responded with "Do you feel the same about a man that states "I'm an independent man. I can fend for myself"?"
I don't know how to multiquote but here's why I said you originally brought up the question

Post #231 in this thread: "The point of Braunwyn's question was more why are independent women thought of as b*tches, but independence in men is to be respected?"

To which you responded in post #233: "Yes, exactly"

Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When is the last time the KKK was involved in violence against minorities? Technically, the KKK and other white supremacist didnt advocate violence against only minority males, so the KKK and others and do rap groups count. I would also would say some religious organizations.

If women are overrepresented in colleges it isnot because men are not allowed admission. Perhaps its because now women have more opportunities and can aspire to being more than housewives, nurses, teachers and strippers thus the need for higher education.

I really dont see how lifespan is relevant to racism or sexism.
No it doesn't count...it advocates violence against minorities, not minority females. That proves racism, not sexism. As I said earlier....find an organization that advocates hatred and violence against women and that might prove sexism being as potent as racism.

The main point of that was that minorities are still well underrepresented and women are overrepresented.......they both have "more" opportunities now yet one is overrepresented and the other is underrepresented so I see that as proof that "sexism" is not nearly as potent and one sided as racism is....

Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I don't know how to multiquote but here's why I said you originally brought up the question

Post #231 in this thread: "The point of Braunwyn's question was more why are independent women thought of as b*tches, but independence in men is to be respected?"

To which you responded in post #233: "Yes, exactly"
She was referring to my response to Jay; the guy that brought indepedence into this conversation, as well as the term b*tch. Eh, you misunderstood. No biggie.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 11-10-2009 at 12:59 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,389 times
Feminism means Men should treat Women equally, and still be gentlemen (i.e. pay for the meals, take out the garbage, hold the door open, and fix the car). I don't however see this lack of paying for meals, or holding doors open for Women as an "abuse" of feminism on the part of Men. If Women want (and should get) equal treatment then you have to take the good with the bad. If a Woman is not expected to do anything she does not want to on a date then why should a Man be expected to pay? This is where the double standard comes in, and even worse the Man is considered a pig if he expects sex on a date after he has paid for dinner and a movie. Men must realize that this double standard is the way it is and either learn to accept it, or just not date anymore.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Feminism means Men should treat Women equally, and still be gentlemen (i.e. pay for the meals, take out the garbage, hold the door open, and fix the car). I don't however see this lack of paying for meals, or holding doors open for Women as an "abuse" of feminism on the part of Men. If Women want (and should get) equal treatment then you have to take the good with the bad. If a Woman is not expected to do anything she does not want to on a date then why should a Man be expected to pay? This is where the double standard comes in, and even worse the Man is considered a pig if he expects sex on a date after he has paid for dinner and a movie. Men must realize that this double standard is the way it is and either learn to accept it, or just not date anymore.
Paying for a date is not the same as paying for a prostitute. At least that wasn't the case when I was dating; not that I went on dates that required payment (I was a hippie). I pay for pretty much everything in my marriage, money wise, I don't feel my dh owes me anything for it as far as being paid for a service. I don't support the family for his services, tho, I expect him to contribute when he can since he's a grown up. We took out the garbage together this morning, tho, he carried the heavy stuff.

I think the whole view of "you want equality, well, don't expect me to pull my weight in the house" is out in la la land. It doesn't seem real to me.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
The main point of that was that minorities are still well underrepresented and women are overrepresented.......they both have "more" opportunities now yet one is overrepresented and the other is underrepresented
Under and over represented in what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships