Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:46 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

almost every adult has the version 1, so i dont even consider it an issue.

well, maybe no smooching when you have one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
Meh.

I probably already have the virus that causes these cold sores. But I've never gotten one.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
I've gotten them for about 23 years, I am married for 25 and my husband has never had one. I got my firtst right right after having my wisdom teeth out, and I always suspected dirty equipment...YUK!
Anyway, yes STRESS brings them on...I have a certain relative that brings them on every time I know they are coming for a visit! It's like clockwork! Sometimes I get them before I know they are coming!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,985 times
Default my thoughts

When people talk about HERPES they really mean the more serious kind. They happen from sexual contact and they appear on the genitals and they cause more serious complications and they're just kind of ICK. Just because they're part of the same family, when people find out cold-sores are HERPES they tend to freak out but it isn't right. Just because Fred Smith stole a car does that mean his brother, or his cousin or anyone else from the Smith family is just as bad? NO.

Cold sores are not serious, and aside from a couple days of discomfort are not damaging. If fact when you get them you don't even necessarily get them for the rest of your life.. I got mine periodically for a couple years and they never came back.

This is a lot of fuss about nothing.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Re: "Would you date someone who had a coldsore before?"

Eckkkkk... NO!

Please google it. It's contageous & once contracted, for life. As a former med student, I know that you can contract it even when you don't have obvious sores. It remains dormant in the spine & becomes active at times when sores are not evident. Shaking hands when the virus has migrated from the spine, can infect another.

Sorry, but my feeling is that I have enough problems. I don't need another one "for life". That's my opinion... VV
So I guess you don't shake hands with any either??

Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I would date someone who had a coldsore before. I mean how would u know anyway? If the person has an active breakout u don't have to let them kiss u anywhere... at all on your body. And if u can catch a coldsore from a hand shake u r probably being exposed on a regular basis especially someone who is in the medical field. Why miss out on the opportunity to possibly meet the person of your dreams?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:18 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Honestly if I knew someone got cold sores, I wouldn't want to date them. It's not something I worried about too much in my younger, single days because there was no way of knowing if someone had the virus or not (unless they had a visable sore), and it wouldn't have ruined my life if I caught the virus, but all the same, I would rather not contract it and have to deal with it.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 9,035 times
I think its funny that everyone on here thinks that HSV 1 is less serious than HSV 2. Do you all know that HSV 1 (cold sores) is the leading cause of genital herpes infection now a days??? Cause people think that oral sex isnt really sex but you know what.. those little bugger cold sores can , and do, cause genital herpes. In fact, many Drs think that HSV 1 causes more problems than traditional HSV 2 ( the big bad genital version) .. check this out!

http://www.herpes.com/hsv1-2.html

Geeze! I think its so funny that people say "hey, i only have HSV 1, its not that big of a deal"... People get educated! You have herpes and your herpes isnt any better than someone with genital herpes. Its just the stigma attached to sexual issues that make it sooooo bad. The [SIZE=3]Hypocrisy [/SIZE]is overflowing in here

Old 12-18-2007, 08:34 AM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swkou View Post
I think its funny that everyone on here thinks that HSV 1 is less serious than HSV 2. Do you all know that HSV 1 (cold sores) is the leading cause of genital herpes infection now a days??? Cause people think that oral sex isnt really sex but you know what.. those little bugger cold sores can , and do, cause genital herpes. In fact, many Drs think that HSV 1 causes more problems than traditional HSV 2 ( the big bad genital version) .. check this out!

http://www.herpes.com/hsv1-2.html

Geeze! I think its so funny that people say "hey, i only have HSV 1, its not that big of a deal"... People get educated! You have herpes and your herpes isnt any better than someone with genital herpes. Its just the stigma attached to sexual issues that make it sooooo bad. The Hypocrisy is overflowing in here

Well, since you failed to enlighten us all back when this thread started MONTHS ago, we may have all put ourselfs at risk. If so, then I view it as your fault! That may sound strange, critical, or even hypocritical, but thats how I feel!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swkou View Post

Geeze! I think its so funny that people say "hey, i only have HSV 1, its not that big of a deal"... People get educated! You have herpes and your herpes isnt any better than someone with genital herpes. Its just the stigma attached to sexual issues that make it sooooo bad. The Hypocrisy is overflowing in here
HSV-2 is the big and bad version of the Herpes Virus.

HSV-1 is the minor cold sore or canker sore in the mouth. However, it can evolve into HSV-2 to infect others.

It's like the difference between Bacterial Meningitis and Viral Meningitis. Bacterial spreads easily to infect others to make them as miserable as you. Viral meningitis just makes you miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships