Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Sure, if you're a genius or have some sort of skill in very high demand (most people don't), you'll make plenty of money even if you're a loner, but in most cases, making great money, finding excellent job opportunities, or starting a successful business comes down to connections and networking. Someone who's a loner is going to have problems networking and with forming strong connections with people and this often results in not having access to high paying jobs even if capable.

In terms of having no friends, most loners are loners because their people skills are really bad, so why would someone with bad people skills have many friends? Virtually all of the loners I know have very few friends.
Revelation of this thread:

People who enjoy spending their time alone, tend to have less friends than those who enjoy spending their time with others..

Shall we propose a grant to find out why this is?

Next can we find out why -

People without cars tend to drive themselves to work less often than people with cars?

Or why more homeless people tend to sleep on the street than people with homes?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
Women are often attracted to power in men (with money linked to power). Power and money is often attained by control/influence of others. Thus, a "loner" who does not relate well to (influence) people, may be seen as a weaker male which may be an unattractive trait for many females.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
What do women think of men that like to be on there own and do their own thing?

Would you even date or start a relationship with someone who doesn't have any close friends?

Would you date a "new guy" in town, that is a loner but also wants to meet some people?

How much importance do women put on a man's social surroundings?

I'm basically a loner and married one so it works out great for us the answer is yes to all above questions except the last one. The social surrooundings depends on what surroundings you are talking about specifically. If it is a bar consistantly I would not be there but I don't do bars/clubs unless I am shooting darts.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,684,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
And will screw up your mind and your life. This goes right with threads about women who repeatedly pick "bad boys."
lol i know that, but those kind of guys dont exist in real life anyway! but i said the dark and mysetrious loner because i'm a dark loner, i'm probably not mysterious tho

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
lol i know that, but those kind of guys dont exist in real life anyway! but i said the dark and mysetrious loner because i'm a dark loner, i'm probably not mysterious tho
What does race have to do with this?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Women are often attracted to power in men (with money linked to power). Power and money is often attained by control/influence of others. Thus, a "loner" who does not relate well to (influence) people, may be seen as a weaker male which may be an unattractive trait for many females.
You're operating under the assumption that loners are people with bad social skills.

Nope.

That's like me saying all social people are like the girls on Girls Gone Wild, or the guys who manipulate them.

Being confident, knowing how to charm and be personable, knowing how to look people in the eyes, aren't exclusive to guys who must call up their guy friends every weekend to see what they're doing.

I work in a field defined by social interaction, I've had the "loner" talk with coworkers before and you'd be surprised how many there actually are.

Don't confuse lack of desire with lack of ability.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
You're operating under the assumption that loners are people with bad social skills.

Nope.

That's like me saying all social people are like the girls on Girls Gone Wild, or the guys who manipulate them.

Being confident, knowing how to charm and be personable, knowing how to look people in the eyes, aren't exclusive to guys who must call up their guy friends every weekend to see what they're doing.

I work in a field defined by social interaction, I've had the "loner" talk with coworkers before and you'd be surprised how many there actually are.

Exactly, and you also don't have to be an introvert to be a loner. I like being alone, and doing things by myself, but that doesn't mean that I don't meet people every time I go out. Sure, when I travel to other countries I do it alone, but I meet a lot of people along the way. I go out to dinner alone quite often, sit at the bar and usually always end up striking conversations with new people and getting to know people.

I do however think my personality could be a red flag, not necessarily because it screams socially awkward or that I don't have "power", but that if it is so easy for a person like that to move on and go from place to place alone.. maybe that person isn't best suited for a relationship. I doubt anyone who meets me would think that about me, but it is probably true haha.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:29 AM

228 posts, read 718,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Cool. You sound self-assured.
Thanks alot!

Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post

Nope.

This is very true. I think that the lack of desire comes with the recognition of how full of $h!t so many people are.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,450 times
I prefer to be in my own world most of the time. It's far less toxic than the world outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.