Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM

688 posts, read 897,166 times

Advertisements

You need to be more specific than just "loners". When you say "loners", I'm thinking of someone who doesn't want to be around ANYONE, EVER. Of course, that would throw a red flag.

Now, if you mean someone who doesn't like to be in the company of many people, most of the time, then you're probably talking about "introverted" people. I am one of those, who much rather prefer to be either alone or with a small group of people. I'm hardly a loner, but I spend a good portion of my spare time alone, doing my own thing. I have fine social skills. I do get shy around women that I'm attracted to and I'm generally a quiet person anyway, but I do talk to people. I can't think of anyone that I've ever met that doesn't like me as a person, honestly.

I guess if someone doesn't know the difference between a loner and an introvert, they would throw a red flag on both. But really, who cares?

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
You need to be more specific than just "loners". When you say "loners", I'm thinking of someone who doesn't want to be around ANYONE, EVER. Of course, that would throw a red flag.

Now, if you mean someone who doesn't like to be in the company of many people, most of the time, then you're probably talking about "introverted" people. I am one of those, who much rather prefer to be either alone or with a small group of people. I'm hardly a loner, but I spend a good portion of my spare time alone, doing my own thing. I have fine social skills. I do get shy around women that I'm attracted to and I'm generally a quiet person anyway, but I do talk to people. I can't think of anyone that I've ever met that doesn't like me as a person, honestly.

I guess if someone doesn't know the difference between a loner and an introvert, they would throw a red flag on both. But really, who cares?
Are you sure about that? Not to be disrespectful but the term "loner" is usually a slang term that people use to describe someone who isn't as social as they think they should be.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I would agree that the word "loner" is a negative word. "Independent" or "self-sufficient" are viewed positively.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Personally, not really. I mean occasionally I'll meet an introvert and think: I wonder what's hiding under there.

But then again, when it comes down to it, I also want my partner to enjoy social events as much as I do, and I end up getting annoyed when they always want to leave early. :P

Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 PM

688 posts, read 897,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Are you sure about that? Not to be disrespectful but the term "loner" is usually a slang term that people use to describe someone who isn't as social as they think they should be.
I see what you're saying, but I was stating that I believe "loner" and "introvert" to be two different things. I believe that "loners" may be those who suffer from a high level of social anxiety, while introverts actually interact well with most people, but just choose to be (or thrive) in smaller groups for deeper interaction or alone to interact with themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Personally, not really. I mean occasionally I'll meet an introvert and think: I wonder what's hiding under there.

But then again, when it comes down to it, I also want my partner to enjoy social events as much as I do, and I end up getting annoyed when they always want to leave early. :P
Not all of them are like that. Social events are fine in moderation. Now, if you're going out to clubs every Friday/Saturday night, going to random parties and events during the week; I can see why you wouldn't want to be with an introvert and they probably wouldn't want to be with you either. We love our close, or alone, quiet time.

If I were to attend a social event that was important or exciting to my SO, I wouldn't bug them to leave early. I think that would be pretty rude.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Not all of them are like that. Social events are fine in moderation. Now, if you're going out to clubs every Friday/Saturday night, going to random parties and events during the week; I can see why you wouldn't want to be with an introvert and they probably wouldn't want to be with you either. We love our close, or alone, quiet time.

If I were to attend a social event that was important or exciting to my SO, I wouldn't bug them to leave early. I think that would be pretty rude.
I am the type to close down the party! Hehehe. I know that is too much people time for most introverts. You guys like your people time in small doses. (I have lots of introverted friends). You want more like one day a week of "social events" and most of the time, I like to go to 2-3 a week. And low-key social time another 1-2 days a week....unless I am going through one of my "down" periods. Then I cut back a bit. I.E. 2 days a week. I am totally happy with stuff 3-4 days a week though. That's why it is a bad fit for me.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What does race have to do with this?
i didn't mention race..when i say dark i mean people who have an affinity to darkness as a concept not the color of someone's skin.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,585 times
Quote:
I believe that "loners" may be those who suffer from a high level of social anxiety, while introverts actually interact well with most people, but just choose to be (or thrive) in smaller groups for deeper interaction or alone to interact with themselves.
Again with the assumptions?

All you're doing is looking at something you don't understand, and dreaming up (invalid) reasons in order wrap a nice bow on it, and say you understand it.

Rather than that - just say you don't understand it. That's perfectly fine..

I don't suffer from social anxiety, the "loners" I work with don't either - we simply don't require the same amount of interaction with others to be happy.

It's a spectrum - the person who spends all his free nights hanging out playing poker with 3 friends, might be considered a "loner" or "boring" to the person who feels the need to be the life of the party at raves etc (or whatever the kids do these days).

My relationship with my wife is more than enough for me.

Social anxiety, lack of ability to communicate, etc not required. Just a social meter that fills much quicker than others..

Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i didn't mention race..when i say dark i mean people who have an affinity to darkness as a concept not the color of someone's skin.
It was a joke.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
while introverts actually interact well with most people, but just choose to be (or thrive) in smaller groups for deeper interaction or alone to interact with themselves.
When in college in Southern California and I wanted to go on a ski trip to Lake Tahoe, the thought of going up with a herd of people really put me out. We usually went to Northern California to ski in groups of 2, 3 and 4. It was more relaxing. It made for better conversation during the boring car ride. There was less to coordinate. One summer, a large Hispanic family invited me to go to Tahoe with them and an extended group of their friends and I did. There were all these kids, a lot of chaos, and it wasn't in the slightest bit mentally stimulating. I spent time looking for "space" for some quiet. That was my only trip to Tahoe that I did not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships