Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't usually like to get into lengthy arguments. I say what I have to say and leave it at that.

As a fan of Bernard Shaw's quotes, I firmly believe in this one!

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. George Bernard Shaw
LOL, getting dirty doesn't matter much to pig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,412,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I haven't been here for couple of weeks and I do miss you guys, but it got me thinking: do we take ourselves and our own opinion way too seriously?..... Don't we think too much of our own opinion?
Ya know, there was just a post about people that we haven't seen for awhile.. Coincidence? Maybe?

Anyway, yeah, I know I think way too much of my opinions. Sometimes someone comes back with something and then I just have to smack myself in the head.. I know that they are right, but it still irritates me that I was wrong.

On a lot of posts, it just seems clearly obvious what is the right thing to do, but then again, since it's just a post and clearly one sided, we don't get the whole picture.

I think, personally, I want so much to help someone out that I tend to go off on how I would do things, instead of looking at things from their point of view.

You're right, I should stop and reconsider before I go and call someone an idiot. Still, some people deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
We all have our own thoughts and opinions on subjects. As long as someone isn't trying to jam their thoughts into someone elses head, I think it is okay. When someone gets too pushy with their opinoins, thats when they think too much of themselves.
I agree with that.. I hate it when people are so pushy about their own ideas that they don't take time to stop and think about others involved.. I'm happy to hear anothers opinions, but when it becomes an attack or too aggressive, I just move on and ignore the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
As to what others say, I don't tend to put much stock into it in an Internet forum. There are too many variables that come into play when dealing with humans on the Net.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Some threads I look at and think "really, does this actually happen?" I have to remember that posters of all ages are in these forums and while I credit alot of my knowledge to life experiences, I always try to learn from another point of view.
Same way here.. When one is looking at words on a screen, it's hard to remember that some of these people are younger, or older, than I am.. Things that I think should be obvious are clearly not to the person asking..

Still, the way I look at it, as one once said, there are no bad questions. If it helps the poster, great.. if not, I'm sure that someone else may get a bit from it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't usually like to get into lengthy arguments. I say what I have to say and leave it at that.

As a fan of Bernard Shaw's quotes, I firmly believe in this one!

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw
That wasn't George Bernard Shaw. Ok, yeah it was.. I was just trying to get you to argue with me a little. It'll happen, one of these days.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
That wasn't George Bernard Shaw. Ok, yeah it was.. I was just trying to get you to argue with me a little. It'll happen, one of these days.

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Anim.../Pig_dives.gif

Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Opinions. Everyone has one. Some have more than one.

I don't think mine is any more important than yours.

I like learning about different people. To me, the anonymity of an internet forum is an ideal opportunity to learn what a large diverse population of users thinks. I can sit at my computer and read the thoughts of people I would never get the chance to meet in real life. People who live far away. People who are so different from me, it's not likely our paths will ever cross.

I think it makes me feel more humble. A small speck in the macrocosm of life.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Opinions. Everyone has one. Some have more than one.

I don't think mine is any more important than yours.

I like learning about different people. To me, the anonymity of an internet forum is an ideal opportunity to learn what a large diverse population of users thinks. I can sit at my computer and read the thoughts of people I would never get the chance to meet in real life. People who live far away. People who are so different from me, it's not likely our paths will ever cross.

I think it makes me feel more humble. A small speck in the macrocosm of life.
I like how you put this. Well said.

I don't know if you take stock in anyone's reputation points or not, but I like to think one rep point is a sign that I may have helped someone think outside the box. It also helps me establish my communication skills, talking here to such a diverse set of people. I stay away from topics I have no clue about except to ask questions, and even then sometimes I get bashed for asking. It's free advice on a free forum....can't be too serious here all of the time.

I don't find too many people in real life who even consider my opinions, everyone thinks I'm a nut! But you guys have been really considerate, I enjoy some poster's style of writing, and I keep coming back for more, so CD must be doing something right.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I haven't been here for couple of weeks and I do miss you guys, but it got me thinking: do we take ourselves and our own opinion way too seriously?

One thing I noticed about myself personally, is that participating on this forum makes me less humble and more proud. Although I consider myself a fairly open-minded person, I find myself saying after reading some posts: "dude, that's just wrong or stupid".
But who am I to judge situations or opinions of others? Who am I to say that they are wrong and I'm right and why do I spend time trying to convince others of my own belief and righteousness? Isn't it mostly gray areas and not black/white? Don't I just apply my own standards to everyone?

So I don't like getting flu shots but some people do...so what? It's not their body, why do I care what they do with it?

Sorry - a little vent. Don't we think too much of our own opinion?
A lot of what we are trying to express is sometimes lost in the written word. When sharing opinions, thoughts and ideas online, you don't have the mannerisms, facial expressions and other physical language to gauge someone's mood and intent. I think many of the arguments and disagreements that take place on the forums would be avoided if that same conversation took place in real life, face to face. There have been times someone has said something so off the wall I felt compelled to let them have it, but then thought, what if we were having this conversation at a bar or just sitting around together in someone's living room? Chances are I'd laugh it off, tell that person they are crazy and we'd find a way to joke about it. Discussing topics that tend to run deep can bring out a lot of emotion in people because we often don't know what others have been through and how a topic will effect them. Remember the cheating threads? Those got pretty heated, but someone who has been cheated on and devastated by it would have a different opinion about it than someone who hasn't experienced that in their life. Same goes for anything else.

I don't take too much stock into my opinion. I share what I've learned through my own experiences in life, and people are free to take it or leave it. I try not to get too worked up over trivial matters, so I tend to avoid the Political and Great Debates forums, those folks really go at it, and I often wonder why they would "choose" to make themselves angry by participating in what boils down to an argument. Arguing with anonymous people on the internet is as foolish as road rage arguments in which you start arguing with someone in your rear view mirror, flipping one another off and lip syncing obscenities at one another. Yes, I've been there.

Glad to see you're back Mama, was wondering where you went.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
As for the forum itself, I like it a lot. I like reading everyones thoughts and ideas, sometimes I take some of the advice, sometimes I don't. I think everyone on here has very individual personalities. I think a forum like this is a great way to bounce ideas of each other even if you don't like the responses you get.

I don't take it completely seriously all the time. And I've even made a friend or two on here.

As for my own opinion and how seriously I take myself and my advice, I don't take myself seriously at all but, I do feel like I have a lot of wisdom and life experience to pass around. I often get repped with comments that whatever it was I said was great advice and real life here where I work and live isn't much different. I really am the "camp counselor" of sorts at work and it's been like that everywhere I've worked - so I do take my opinions and advice fairly seriously but at the end of that day, I don't get all bent out of shape if someone has better advice or someone doesn't take mine.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
My opinion is important enough to me to want to share it; I believe I have something valuable to contribute in various areas. I don't expect everyone to think so. I do my best to open up to what I don't know about; I'm a sponge for information.

I'm more passionate about some things than I am others and have little tolerance for negativity and abuse or bigotry of any kind. Here is where I may go off, but I'll eventually walk away as I know a brick wall won't budge and it has no effect on my life outside of here.

I'm here, to exchange thoughts, maybe vent a little and, hopefully, learn something from time to time. It is my opinion that this is how it should be, but it isn't always the case.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,001 times
Sometimes I tend to over analyze EVERYTHING! Before I start an arguement with someone I play in my head everything I could say and everything that person may say back to me and everything I will say back and how that will affect our relationship and will it affect what I say or how I react next time? LOL I overthink everything! That's probably the reason why I love hearing everyone elses point of views, it helps me understand just how everyone else thinks. I find it to be very interesting how so many people can be in very similar situations yet they feel completely different and act differently then each other. Its amazing to me...again I'm reading to much into things lol

OH and what I say is always right.....DUH!! LOL JK

Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
A lot of what we are trying to express is sometimes lost in the written word. When sharing opinions, thoughts and ideas online, you don't have the mannerisms, facial expressions and other physical language to gauge someone's mood and intent. I think many of the arguments and disagreements that take place on the forums would be avoided if that same conversation took place in real life, face to face. There have been times someone has said something so off the wall I felt compelled to let them have it, but then thought, what if we were having this conversation at a bar or just sitting around together in someone's living room? Chances are I'd laugh it off, tell that person they are crazy and we'd find a way to joke about it. Discussing topics that tend to run deep can bring out a lot of emotion in people because we often don't know what others have been through and how a topic will effect them. Remember the cheating threads? Those got pretty heated, but someone who has been cheated on and devastated by it would have a different opinion about it than someone who hasn't experienced that in their life. Same goes for anything else.

I don't take too much stock into my opinion. I share what I've learned through my own experiences in life, and people are free to take it or leave it. I try not to get too worked up over trivial matters, so I tend to avoid the Political and Great Debates forums, those folks really go at it, and I often wonder why they would "choose" to make themselves angry by participating in what boils down to an argument. Arguing with anonymous people on the internet is as foolish as road rage arguments in which you start arguing with someone in your rear view mirror, flipping one another off and lip syncing obscenities at one another. Yes, I've been there.

Glad to see you're back Mama, was wondering where you went.
I second, what he just said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships