Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:27 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times

Advertisements

I haven't been here for couple of weeks and I do miss you guys, but it got me thinking: do we take ourselves and our own opinion way too seriously?

One thing I noticed about myself personally, is that participating on this forum makes me less humble and more proud. Although I consider myself a fairly open-minded person, I find myself saying after reading some posts: "dude, that's just wrong or stupid".
But who am I to judge situations or opinions of others? Who am I to say that they are wrong and I'm right and why do I spend time trying to convince others of my own belief and righteousness? Isn't it mostly gray areas and not black/white? Don't I just apply my own standards to everyone?

So I don't like getting flu shots but some people do...so what? It's not their body, why do I care what they do with it?

Sorry - a little vent. Don't we think too much of our own opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
When I start telling my husband about some of the threads and posts on here, he just starts cracking up. That's when I know I'm taking this stuff way too seriously.

However, this forum in particular makes me that much more grateful for my husband!!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,122 times
We all have our own thoughts and opinions on subjects. As long as someone isn't trying to jam their thoughts into someone elses head, I think it is okay. When someone gets too pushy with their opinoins, thats when they think too much of themselves.

No more breaks, MM. Keep your thoughts coming.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
I think it's individual. Some do. Some don't.

I fall into the category where I have to think more of my opinion.

As to what others say, I don't tend to put much stock into it in an Internet forum. There are too many variables that come into play when dealing with humans on the Net. There have been a couple of posts that have irked me, but look at my post count and that tells you how worked up I get over someone's opinion.

HOWEVER, there is a good reason I avoid the political forum.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
My dh thinks I take everything too seriously. I'm working on it, tho.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:53 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
One thing I noticed about myself personally, is that participating on this forum makes me less humble and more proud.
The other way around here. Some of my beliefs were tested; eyes opened on some things.

Quote:
Although I consider myself a fairly open-minded person, I find myself saying after reading some posts: "dude, that's just wrong or stupid".
So have you changed your mind on platforms?

Quote:
But who am I to judge situations or opinions of others? Who am I to say that they are wrong and I'm right and why do I spend time trying to convince others of my own belief and righteousness?
After a while, one can recognize particular threads that go nowhere - one of those things that neither right nor wrong, but a personal choice. I don't waste my time anymore.

Life can be simpler without the exposure to so many opinions. Breaks are good sometimes!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Some threads I look at and think "really, does this actually happen?" I have to remember that posters of all ages are in these forums and while I credit alot of my knowledge to life experiences, I always try to learn from another point of view.

Threads I KNOW are going to p*ss me off, I stay away from because it's just not worth my time and energy.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
When I start telling my husband about some of the threads and posts on here, he just starts cracking up. That's when I know I'm taking this stuff way too seriously.

However, this forum in particular makes me that much more grateful for my husband!!!!
Take what she said above, and replace "Husband" with "Wife" and thats me.

I have pretty strong opinions on things myself and a lot of what is posted here makes me think "Wow! Some people are really stupid". But even though I am pretty much set in my ways and beliefs, there have been times where folks here have made me change my ways or thoughts on certain things. But for the most part, I am usually right about things. But we all have different opinions/views/experiences which is why I just keep coming back here. Learn something new everyday.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I don't usually like to get into lengthy arguments. I say what I have to say and leave it at that.

As a fan of Bernard Shaw's quotes, I firmly believe in this one!

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times
It is entertaining for me to see how men think about dating and relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships