Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you think the person you're with is unfaithful, you shouldn't be with her anyway.
yup

yes get a DNA test if you have suspicions or want complete information

but if you are in that situation, there are big big problems with the relationship already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:33 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
there are guys busy making the claim that they would have a DNA test done if the woman they were with got pregnant. To "protect" themselves.
i would believe the guys, they know their world, they know their life, they know the women they run with. If promiscuity is a suspicion then that is a good cause to have the test done.

and if a guy is with a woman who runs around, then it's probably likely that he sleeps around too. Like attracts like.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Scenario: It does not have to be related to cheating if the two are not in a commited relationship, but the woman gets pregnant and tries to hook the one with the better/stable income.
And as for my situation you damn right I would order a paternity test.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i would believe the guys, they know their world, they know their life, they know the women they run with. If promiscuity is a suspicion then that is a good cause to have the test done.

and if a guy is with a woman who runs around, then it's probably likely that he sleeps around too. Like attracts like.
I'm not doubting that they would. It just seems like they're looking and generalizing it in a negative light. Let's say I knew a guy once that got mugged in New York City. Does that give me a good reason to never go to New York City? No, that's a bad example actually--hmm.

Let's say I knew someone who got salmonella from drinking eggnog. Does that mean I should never drink eggnog myself? Even though the odds of me contracting salmonella from it are low?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
my ex wife had 2 children by someone else, while maintaining they were mine.

myself and my g/f have spoken about kids, if it ever happens, i have to trust her, if i had lots of doubts, then i'd consider a test, but, if i didn't trust someone not to be shagging around now, there's no way i'd be with them.

a paternity test in a healthy relationship will be the first nail in the coffin

Old 11-07-2009, 05:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Not here--but another forum I'm on, there are guys busy making the claim that they would have a DNA test done if the woman they were with got pregnant. To "protect" themselves.

I find it preposterous. Do women cheat? Some women may, but there's no need to make sweeping generalizations about ALL women. If you think the person you're with is unfaithful, you shouldn't be with her anyway.

I think that the percentage of cases where the DNA will show that it is NOT the man's child are very small. 1% or less.
Actually, I read an article on this. Some scientists did a sample of 2,000 people and learned something shocking. In a supposedly committed relationship where the husband in the marriage is supposedly the father, the actual percentage is closer to 8%. That means one in twelve children is being raised by a father who has no clue that the baby was not his. In Europe, it's closer to 12-15%.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Default 1% is Pure Fantasy

Originally Posted by TKramar
I think that the percentage of cases where the DNA will show that it is NOT the man's child are very small. 1% or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I read an article on this. Some scientists did a sample of 2,000 people and learned something shocking. In a supposedly committed relationship where the husband in the marriage is supposedly the father, the actual percentage is closer to 8%. That means one in twelve children is being raised by a father who has no clue that the baby was not his. In Europe, it's closer to 12-15%.
The 1% is pure fantasy. Why?

Eight percent of "committed" relationships may be more accurate, but this is the best case scenario. For the rest, this must be much higher.

The problem is that a large proportion of men cannot attract reasonable women based on the attributes they start with. Until they spend years working hard on getting an education, building a career and saving, they cannot get much interest.

Then, if they are "lucky", some women will stoop to their level and agree to settle. She's hardly happy about this, but this guy beats the players who won't commit and those without real prospects, even if they are good looking. However, she is really only interested in his support and will be easily attracted to other men. This is especially true when she is most fertile. Overall, a 20% rate is likely and its going up every year.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:12 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I don't see why it MUST be much higher. I think we are not as likely to hear the cases where it WAS the man's child, after all, as we are to hear the cases where it wasn't.

Giving us a false sense of the true parameters. I'd prefer to assume that we're hearing about the exceptions, not the rule. Again, we're looking for the worst case scenario. As in, she MAY cheat on you, so do we automatically assume that she does or will?

Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 AM

173 posts, read 609,978 times
Quote:
Not here--but another forum I'm on, there are guys busy making the claim that they would have a DNA test done if the woman they were with got pregnant. To "protect" themselves.

I find it preposterous. Do women cheat? Some women may, but there's no need to make sweeping generalizations about ALL women. If you think the person you're with is unfaithful, you shouldn't be with her anyway.

With everything that is happening in the world today, and taking a look at some threads in this very forum. You will see that men are turning much more "protective" of themselves, their future and their money. If you can ease his worries by taking a test, then why don't you? Nowadays with some women cutting holes in the condoms, others trying to get pregnant to live on child support and so on. Or trying to get one into a marriage to run of with half of what he have. This isn't directly related to the topic, but we're learning to check every little thing, so it won't bite us in the behind later down the road.

We're learning from an early stage to check everything, It's a minefield out there.

My two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships