Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,300,684 times

Advertisements

Would you do it just to get back at you ex?

DISCLAIMER: No people, I am not planning to do such a thing. I just read about Sandra Bullock and it gave me an idea for a thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,651,078 times
I had a mother who deserted us and, as a result, I've swung the opposite direction. I cannot imagine my life without my kids, so I'd do whatever was necessary to be with them.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
No, but like Sunnydee said, I can't imagine life without them. My ex-brother-in-law tried (or said he was going to try--he's a deadbeat) to take my nephew away from his mother (my husband's sister). He didn't care a whit about his son; he just wanted to punish my sister-in-law for leaving him. My parents-in-law have a voice mail message from him trying to wheedle $10,000 out of them so he'd drop the custody suit. They didn't pay, and it's just as well, because he never bothered to show up at any of the hearings.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:51 AM

754 posts, read 1,919,666 times
I can never get over the way divorce brings out the worst in people. I hope and pray that if I ever have to go through divorce, that my husband and I will keep the children's well being at the center of everything we do. I can't imagine forgetting that little lives and their well being hang in the balance. Women are just as guilty as men of using their children as weapons in bitter break-ups. These poor children.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,589,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I can never get over the way divorce brings out the worst in people. I hope and pray that if I ever have to go through divorce, that my husband and I will keep the children's well being at the center of everything we do. I can't imagine forgetting that little lives and their well being hang in the balance. Women are just as guilty as men of using their children as weapons in bitter break-ups. These poor children.

That's because instead of being a humane process governed by wisdom, it is an adversarial process where too often one party prevails greatly over the other. If the family court system were not driven by the greed of lawyers, etc., divorce would not bring out the worst in people.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,221,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's because instead of being a humane process governed by wisdom, it is an adversarial process where too often one party prevails greatly over the other. If the family court system were not driven by the greed of lawyers, etc., divorce would not bring out the worst in people.
Greedy lawyers bring out the worst in people? It seems to me the couples are having problems BEFORE they consult an attorney...

Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Greedy lawyers bring out the worst in people? It seems to me the couples are having problems BEFORE they consult an attorney...

Yes..........and the system preys on those problems and exacerbates them..............

Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
I disagree. What really oughta happen is each couple should be assigned a single mediator. And that's all. But it would never happen because people that are hurt or cheated upon, often become so bitter all they want is revenge...and they use the lawyers simply as a weapon of revenge. People can just be so focused on getting back at someone, they completely lose all concept of what is fair and just.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,221,487 times
Quote:
Yes..........and the system preys on those problems and exacerbates them..............
So, let's eliminate attorneys and let's see if divorce rates come down and we become a kinder gentler nation

Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I disagree. What really oughta happen is each couple should be assigned a single mediator. And that's all. But it would never happen because people that are hurt or cheated upon, often become so bitter all they want is revenge...and they use the lawyers simply as a weapon of revenge. People can just be so focused on getting back at someone, they completely lose all concept of what is fair and just.
ChessieMom, you are agreeing with me without knowing it. My point is that there should not be two sides with opposite objectives fighting for "victory." This encourages bitter fighting and, often, psychologically devastating results. Everything you say here proves what I was saying. I think divorce should be settled via mediation, not litigation. What were you disagreeing with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships