Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times

Advertisements

One of the other threads got me to thinking about the different code words people use to describe the characteristics they find attractive. For example, when someone says they're looking for someone with confidence, I always roll my eyes and start to wonder if they mean something else by that, say for example, good looks or a great build. Likewise, whenever says they're looking for someone who's ambitious, I can't help but wonder what they mean exactly. Now obviously no one wants to be with someone who has no ambition at all, no sense of direction, and just wants to sit around in a dead-end job collecting minimum wage and never wanting more than that. But there's a big difference between that and the person who's willing to do whatever it takes to make six figures, become a CEO or partner at his firm, etc. So when someone says they're looking for someone ambitious, how do you interpret that? And if you're someone who looks for someone with ambition, can you be more specific about what that term means to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
When I see someone advertise they're looking for someone ambitious, to me it screams GOLD DIGGER! That may not be the case, but that's what I get from it.

Personally I'd like to be with someone who has ambition, but it has nothing to do with money, and I'd never list that as a requirement when looking for someone.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Means not lazy and takes initiative to do things and get them done and applies it. Possible other uses are goal oriented, good work ethic.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I believe someone who is ambitious wants to be successful. They are driven to make money and be the best at what they do. But it goes deeper than that. They aren't lazy either. They won't zone out in front of the TV all day and watch anything that comes on. They have better uses for their time.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
I do agree with Thursday007. And, I agree with DennyCrane, I think you can be so ambitious you lose sight of what's important. I think you can work so hard and never play which is all fine and well but if you are constantly working, how do you enjoy your riches? I'm ambitious but I also enjoy the smaller things in life, I'm one of those that really does stop to smell the flowers. It's these things in life that are also important and when you don't lose sight of them, I think you remain more focused. I'm ambitious, I'm just not overly so. My focus is on working, making money to survive (especially in this economy) and making sure I'm healthy and being a good Mom and partner to my b/f. I think everyone has different ambitions and those are mine.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
I think ambitious usually is a code word for "well off." AS for confidence, when I read someone is looking for someone with confidence, I usually assume they simply mean .. no weirdos.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One of the other threads got me to thinking about the different code words people use to describe the characteristics they find attractive. For example, when someone says they're looking for someone with confidence, I always roll my eyes and start to wonder if they mean something else by that, say for example, good looks or a great build.
Frankly, I think you are extremely cynical and presumptious. Interpret that however you want.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Means not lazy and takes initiative to do things and get them done and applies it. Possible other uses are goal oriented, good work ethic.
Right. And it doesn't mean being a ruthless workaholic. Someone who has goals for their life, and works to achieve them. And they don't have to be huge goals, but I find that people who are completely content with the status quo and never try to change or improve themselves or their situations are kind of boring.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I do agree with Thursday007. And, I agree with DennyCrane, I think you can be so ambitious you lose sight of what's important. I think you can work so hard and never play which is all fine and well but if you are constantly working, how do you enjoy your riches? I'm ambitious but I also enjoy the smaller things in life, I'm one of those that really does stop to smell the flowers. It's these things in life that are also important and when you don't lose sight of them, I think you remain more focused. I'm ambitious, I'm just not overly so. My focus is on working, making money to survive (especially in this economy) and making sure I'm healthy and being a good Mom and partner to my b/f. I think everyone has different ambitions and those are mine.
Well, this is where the adage, "Work hard, play hard' comes into play. You can have a well balanced life and be ambitious. My own ambitions had less to do with the amount of money I made. But a wise man once told me, 'find what you love to do, do it well and the money will follow.'

Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
One of the other threads got me to thinking about the different code words people use to describe the characteristics they find attractive. For example, when someone says they're looking for someone with confidence, I always roll my eyes and start to wonder if they mean something else by that, say for example, good looks or a great build. Likewise, whenever says they're looking for someone who's ambitious, I can't help but wonder what they mean exactly. Now obviously no one wants to be with someone who has no ambition at all, no sense of direction, and just wants to sit around in a dead-end job collecting minimum wage and never wanting more than that. But there's a big difference between that and the person who's willing to do whatever it takes to make six figures, become a CEO or partner at his firm, etc. So when someone says they're looking for someone ambitious, how do you interpret that? And if you're someone who looks for someone with ambition, can you be more specific about what that term means to you?
Good post Denny

Both those terms can be code-language. They can be positive, but they can also represent negative ideas, or mask unrealistic expectations.

To me an "ambitious" person is someone who has no limits (or extreme limits) when it comes to the desire to accumulate wealth and power. I have a good job and a good education, I want to start my own business one day, but I do not consider myself "ambitious." I would take it as an unintended slight, like a way of saying that a person's true motivation in life is material wealth, power, or status.

Last edited by le roi; 11-05-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships