Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:28 PM

786 posts, read 1,176,266 times

Advertisements

NO question about it, in my mind. His comment was a put-down. Whether your comment was a put-down would depend largely upon your tone of voice and the context. Saying "you don't know everything" could be said playfully or insultingly. In the context you presented it, it sounds like you were being playful.

Still, it sounds like your husband has quite an ego. Egos can be bruised with even a playful comment. That's as far as I'll take that for frear of stomping on toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 02:58 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
So anyone, one night at dinner he was talking about something that I did not quite know the answer. He knows a lot of useless information So, because I really didn't know anything about the topic, I said "honey, you don't know EVERYTHING." Then I added "no one does", to take it off of him.

He looks at me with this...knowing look on his face, and then says..."I know A LOT more than you", with this SMUG smile on his face.

My co-worked said that perhaps it's a guy thing-they think they know everything so if you say they don't, you insulted them.

So, what do you think? Were our comments along the same lines, or was his more insulting?
I disagree with your co-worker. When you said, "Honey, you don't know everything," it goes without saying that your statement is a true one. I'm sure your husband realizes that he doesn't know everything.

He probably interpreted that as something like, "You're a know-it-all, quit talking." Judging by his response, it sounds like you hurt his feelings and his ego. Adding "No one does.." probably did even more damage.

His response was insulting as well, though. I think y'all's comments were along the same lines, but it sounds like yours was accidental. It sounds like his were retaliatory.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:03 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
My hubby is smarter than me. Much. Doesn't use it-but he really is. Everyone close to us knows it.

So anyone, one night at dinner he was talking about something that I did not quite know the answer. He knows a lot of useless information So, because I really didn't know anything about the topic, I said "honey, you don't know EVERYTHING." Then I added "no one does", to take it off of him.

He looks at me with this...knowing look on his face, and then says..."I know A LOT more than you", with this SMUG smile on his face.

Yes, I know I am a girl, and girls are more sensitive...but I felt so insulted I couldn't even look at him. Talk to him. Probably because he was right...but I felt like he was comparing himself to me, and he was coming out on top.

SO later that day and the next day he could tell I was really...miserable/angry/depressed. He didn't understand why, and he isn't one to make things better...he was saying how what we both said were the same thing and if he wasn't mad I shouldn't be.

I was though, and I know it's better and we're fine now...but I still don't think that what I said was along the same lines. No one knows everything, so I didn't understand how my comment could have been insulting, but I felt compared, and lost.

My co-worked said that perhaps it's a guy thing-they think they know everything so if you say they don't, you insulted them.

So, what do you think? Were our comments along the same lines, or was his more insulting?
I don't think it matters who's comment was more insulting, they are both insulting and very petty and he's right if he wasn't mad why should you be? Don't get hung up on little things and make them big. I smile and nod when my wife is talking about something I don't care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships