Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

I was the opposite, I'm not near as outgoing as I used to be... then again it is by choice. I'm also FAR from shy, I just choose to stay away from a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Opposite for me as well.

In middle school and in the earlier years of High school, I was more outgoing. As time went on, I became increasingly more self conscious and shy due to being "different" in personality and interests. Also I wasn't confident in how I looked either. I was happier back then but now that I am older, I don't hardly talk to anyone now.

In terms of men, I've never had a relationship. I have had my crushes but they didn't go anywhere. I am wary when talking to new people now.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:53 PM

451 posts, read 562,852 times
Definitely me. Shy growing up but was able to shed it during college. In my field, there is room for shy people and knowing this would be an issue, I took the initiative by taking classes that encouraged public speaking, mock trial, moot court and engaging in leadership groups and activities (Greek counsel, student body). I would say those are pretty effective ways to help with shyness.
And I'm not saying that shyness is a negative trait, but generally the better you are able to overcome shyness can help improve your dating life, professional life etc.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
I was introverted in high school and I'm still introverted at almost 25 years of age. It's my choice. I only socialize when it is absolutely necessary.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 PM

346 posts, read 351,884 times
I was never shy, but wasn't outgoing either. I was rather introverted and at 26, am still the same way.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM

898 posts, read 937,747 times
Yes, I was pretty shy and introverted in high school and was more content with a loner lifestyle. I had a few friends I'd hang out with, but I was never interested in going out and partying. Once I got into college, things changed dramatically for me. I started coming out of my shell more and wanted to go out more. This continued throughout college and ultimately into my mid- to late-20s. Although I enjoy the occasional R&R day at home, I find myself wanting to spend the majority of my time out and about with friends.

My suggestion is to make yourself more well-rounded. Read the news, go on reddit, learn something new each day, listen to podcasts. When you have things to talk about, you become interesting to other people. The people I find the least interesting now are the ones that seem to be oblivious to what's going on around them in the world. Just loosen up and always go into a conversation with the mindset that those who you are talking to are people just like you.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 PM

66 posts, read 78,688 times
My goodness, yes! Painfully shy in middle school and high school. I still can be shy/awkward but I am more able to acknowledge it now Having worked in customer service, I can now carry on light hearted conversations with total strangers... that was totally impossible for me a few years ago!

Now, I prefer to think of myself as 'independent' - I don't think I'll ever be 'outgoing' but I'm generally a friendly person and enjoy talking to people, even though I have more introverted tendencies.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 10,630 times
My experience is similar to the above poster. I used to be painfully shy in high school. I definietly didn't want to be that way forever, I felt it kept me limited when it came to simple social situations. Since then I've worked in retail and that really helped me. I think of myself as an outgoing person now, not the overly bubbly personality, but out there.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
I'm an 18 year old high school senior who's a male, and it's very hard for me to connect with people around me in general. The only ones I can decently have a good time with are the "geeks," which I partially consider myself as. The other side of me is I guess you can call a loner... however, this isn't my choice.

I feel like on some days, I can be really outgoing and confident, but on others, for some odd reason I can't seem to just relax. I don't know why... it's just a cycle. There is a girl that I'm technically going out with now but it's clear we're only infatuated with each other, as neither of us know each other very well. It's been a week since I've contacted her.

Yeah, so as you can see, my problems are multi-sided. However, there is one thing I can somewhat have pride in, and it's that I'm good at math and want to do engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. I can say that this is my only hope&dream.

I try my best to be helpful and unselfish, but sometimes this comes off as being "weak" or even "boring?" to others. I guess I was brought up this way, self-control before self-esteem. However, I know to talk when to talk, and nice but not a pushover.

If anyone's lived or walked a similar life, please help me out. If not, I would still love to hear your advice. Please, no sympathy, just the straight up truth of what I should expect from life, what's around the corner, and what I need to do to improve myself. Any input would be appreciated
son, i was the king of shytown in high school. i had few friends, lots of acquaintances(i was a student trainer for the football team), and if i strung together more than a few sentences to anyone outside my friends, it was probably because i was reading a book report to the class, all the time terrified that i would make a mistake in speaking words. to women, i couldnt get but two or three words out before my tongue got so tied up in knots i had a hard time breathing.

today however, i can start a conversation with anyone i choose to, including women, and have a good time doing it. you just need to realize that people are the same everywhere. they all have their hopes and dreams, along with their fears. if you let your fears rule the day, you will never get anywhere with anyone, and that is not just about intimate relationships, but dealing with people in general.

as for being helpful and unselfish, that may seem weak now, but later on it will put you in good stead with people. it also makes it easier to be a friend to people because if you want a friend, you have to be a friend first.

in the end dont be afraid to open up to people, especially women. and dont be afraid to make mistakes either as people are much more forgiving than you realize, as long as you are properly apologetic for the mistakes.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:29 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
I was shy until I had my own place, with no parents, roommates, brothers, etc. Then it was game on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships