Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:40 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,978,072 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, you goofed - should have tipped based on full price. Oh well, it's a common mistake. I wouldn't mention it - just go on.
Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,263,423 times
Highly doubtful she even noticed. Next time, just make a point of leaving 20% out in the open (w/out being too obvious).

Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,651,884 times
Danny, you're over-thinking this and other aspects of this relationship. I know you really like this girl, but you're making yourself crazy. Calm down. If she likes you she isn't going to dump you over little things like this. If it's meant to be it will work, if it isn't it won't. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,884,722 times
Quote:
So, should I mention it the next time I see her? I can say something like "hey, I realized that I didn't give the waiter enough tip the other night. I feel bad!" Or should I just leave it alone?
No and yes. Just leave it. If she didn't see, you would be alerting her to the fact you stiffed the waitress.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,577,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, you goofed - should have tipped based on full price. Oh well, it's a common mistake. I wouldn't mention it - just go on.
Best wishes.

WRONG! I surely must be missing something here (and I discussed this thread with my waitstaff). We have Happy Hour (although we term it "Misery Hour") and wouldn't expect someone to tip based on the regular price for drinks when they're discounted for a couple of hours. The customer tips on the amount of the check.

Maybe someone could explain what we're missing here?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,884,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
WRONG! I surely must be missing something here (and I discussed this thread with my waitstaff). We have Happy Hour (although we term it "Misery Hour") and wouldn't expect someone to tip based on the regular price for drinks when they're discounted for a couple of hours. The customer tips on the amount of the check.

You are correct. Tip based on the check, NOT what it would have been at full price.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM

550 posts, read 1,353,228 times
everytime i think of tipping, I think of this scene from Reservoir Dogs

*NSFW*

YouTube - Reservoir Dogs - Tipping Scene

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,625,820 times
I agree with the others, and say don`t make a federal case out of it.
Everything will be fine.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

I agree that the tip should be on the non-discounted price of the meal. The waitress did the same amount of work, so why should she make less? I'm not talking about the OP's situation, because what's done is done--I'm just giving the general rationale. I've used 2-for-1 coupons at restaurants and even gotten a few comped meals over the years, and we always tip full price.

You own a restaurant, right? If you had two patrons who won free dinners in a raffle or something, and a server waited on us for an hour, wouldn't you expect us to tip? Are you going to pay that server out of your own pocket, or is he or she supposed to work for free?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,577,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree that the tip should be on the non-discounted price of the meal. The waitress did the same amount of work, so why should she make less? I'm not talking about the OP's situation, because what's done is done--I'm just giving the general rationale. I've used 2-for-1 coupons at restaurants and even gotten a few comped meals over the years, and we always tip full price.

You own a restaurant, right? If you had two patrons who won free dinners in a raffle or something, and a server waited on us for an hour, wouldn't you expect us to tip? Are you going to pay that server out of your own pocket, or is he or she supposed to work for free?
This isn't about 2 for 1 coupons or dinners won in a raffle which are an entirely different scenario from that which the OP is questioning and in which case, yes, it's normal practice for the customer to tip on the full amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships