Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoDL View Post
This is more of a personal rant than anything else, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Alright, so after class the other night, I had dinner with this classmate of mine. We've been working together on a project, so we've been alone together a couple of times before. It's just that we have never been together without schoolwork being the reason, and I was compelled to ask her to go out outside of schoolwork.

It wasn't a date or anything, just dinner. We sat at the bar, and drinks and appetizers were half off. I usually just double the tax as the tip (works out well with NYC tax rate), so I did the same here. That the food was half-priced didn't come to mind when I was paying the bill, so basically the tip was half what it should have been.

I didn't realize that until the day after, and I'd hate for her to think that I'm a cheapo. What makes it worse is that this girl (my classmate) is a part-time waitress too. Ouch! I'm hoping she didn't see how much money I had put in the cup with the bill. The bill was wrapped up with the cash, so she might not have seen it; however, I went to the men's room right after putting down the money, so she could have seen it. I feel so stupid right now! Ugh!

However, we've been out 3 times for dinner (2 times for schoolwork), and I had paid for two of them (I insisted). I've also paid for her coffee the few times that we got coffee together (again, I insisted). Hopefully she doesn't think I'm El Cheapo.

So, should I mention it the next time I see her? I can say something like "hey, I realized that I didn't give the waiter enough tip the other night. I feel bad!" Or should I just leave it alone?

I'm such a dumbass!
Danny
I think you should beat yourself up about it a little bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:18 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoDL View Post
This is more of a personal rant than anything else, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Alright, so after class the other night, I had dinner with this classmate of mine. We've been working together on a project, so we've been alone together a couple of times before. It's just that we have never been together without schoolwork being the reason, and I was compelled to ask her to go out outside of schoolwork.

It wasn't a date or anything, just dinner. We sat at the bar, and drinks and appetizers were half off. I usually just double the tax as the tip (works out well with NYC tax rate), so I did the same here. That the food was half-priced didn't come to mind when I was paying the bill, so basically the tip was half what it should have been.

I didn't realize that until the day after, and I'd hate for her to think that I'm a cheapo. What makes it worse is that this girl (my classmate) is a part-time waitress too. Ouch! I'm hoping she didn't see how much money I had put in the cup with the bill. The bill was wrapped up with the cash, so she might not have seen it; however, I went to the men's room right after putting down the money, so she could have seen it. I feel so stupid right now! Ugh!

However, we've been out 3 times for dinner (2 times for schoolwork), and I had paid for two of them (I insisted). I've also paid for her coffee the few times that we got coffee together (again, I insisted). Hopefully she doesn't think I'm El Cheapo.

So, should I mention it the next time I see her? I can say something like "hey, I realized that I didn't give the waiter enough tip the other night. I feel bad!" Or should I just leave it alone?

I'm such a dumbass!
Danny
The other night when we went out and I went to the bathroom...I searched out our waiter and gave him $20. I wanted to tell him personally that I enjoyed the service. (not promoting lying)

Then don't ever let it happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships