Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

My family holidays have changed and evolved over the years. For example; Thanksgiving was full of aunts, uncles and cousins when I was a kid, and more food than anyone could possibly eat, but when my generation started their own families we all broke apart and went seperate ways. For awhile it was spent with both my family and my husbands...we all live close by so it wasn't a problem. But the in-laws don't celebrate much anymore so now it's just changed again to just my immediate family. These days we go to my mothers house but since my brother never married or had kids, and I have a pending divorce, it's a small affair. My kids are now young adults and while they still look forward to the meal (free food!!) I know my time with them may end if they marry and move off somewhere far and go to their "other" families, and my parents are in their 80's and don't travel well. There have been years when I dreaded going, another family dinner with the same people, same stories, same food. But now I appreciate it more knowing it won't last forever. Who knows what my Thanksgiving will be like 10 years from now?

Don't even get me started on Christmas. I get more "bah humbug" every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM

272 posts, read 640,171 times
I wished I had the excuse of living far away from in laws. Once again I'll be nagged about" When are you going to pop one out...?" Eat their crabby food, and try to avoid a few of my husband's uncles undressing me with their eyes. ugh! Someday we will live far enough to be blessed with that excuse. It just won't be soon enough. Lucky you and Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships