Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:45 PM

438 posts, read 1,351,557 times

Advertisements

Lived in a relationship like this for the last 10 years of my 25 year marriage. I put up with it because I had my last daughter that was going to safely finish school and start university before I asked for a divorce. To protect the child from her own mother.
The mother was bi-Polar. Verbally and physically aggressive. she knew I would never raise my hand to her - due to my moral beliefs, - and took advantage of that. I had occasion to remove from her hands knives/hammers/walking sticks ( I had a collection of them) and was frequently attacked in my sleep. Took great interest in humiliating me in public, using insults and throwing things (supermarket / bookstores / and diverse places) or, during a conversation with friends, would spit in my face.
Tried to launch herself off a fourth floor balcony because her eldest daughter (21 and graduated from university) disagreed with her about living under the same roof after graduation.
Refused therapy, medication, or consulting with the local pastor.
Needless to say, her three daughters have no more communication with her after the divorce, and one of my girls has a restraining order against her to keep this woman away from her grandchildren for fear of violence.
It does exist. Some people don't talk about it to protect their children. I did not talk until after the divorce and my kids were safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
My brother was a battered husband. She bloodied him a few times. Yep, not reported.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:14 PM

5 posts, read 9,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Between 1975 and 1985, male-against-female domestic violence decreased, while, surprisingly, women’s violence against men increased. The results of a study conducted showed that two million men were assaulted by their wife or their girlfriend while 1.8 million women suffered assaults from their husband or from their boyfriend.
Domestic Violence: Women as the Abusers and Men as the Victims | Socyberty
This is quite alarming. There are horrible people on earth and it never cease to exist. I don't think that gives you any right to abuse a person like that whether it be a man or woman.
I'm not sure why some women abuse. I think it must be similar reasons as the male abusers: power and control. They want their victims to feel defendless while they're in complete control.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,033,797 times
Clank!! did someone just hit the nail on the head?..i do believe so..Either way, it is always about controlling another human being..and it is terrible..

Old 11-15-2009, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
If you see a case where you suspect a man is being abused by his wife or girlfriend, you should probably talk to him about it. Something is probably going on there.
Definately will if I ever have to encountered this again. I should have said something when I saw my aunt pushing my uncle. Sorry to hear all those that had to go through this as well Cobb's father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Great article about dating "losers", both male and female. Red flag number one: Rough Treatment:
Warning Signs That You're Dating a Loser
Thank you for the article. As a result I will now be aware of the signs of an abusive woman. Breaking a personal belonging would be enough for me to pack my bags and never look back.
If a woman starts kicking me or goes physical on me in any way then that guarantees assault charges, if possible restraining order too (I'm sure by now, a woman can get arrested and put to jail for abuse). I would then let everyone know what type of woman she is. There's no point on hidding what's happening to you. There's a place abusers should be and that's jail.
Hopefully, I never have to bump into one of those crazy women out there.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
What kind of society are we going into where now we have "men" abused. Sure, there is "mental abuse" but hopefully a "man" would know when to end the relationship without getting his poor little self-esteem crushed. On the other hand if you are married to or in a relationship with someone who is physically abusing you and you can't figure out how to get away from that then you are no "man" at all. If these "men" are really getting beat up then a) maybe they should not be with or marry a physically overpowering female if they can't handle it or b) maybe they should hit the gym so they can at least handle being smacked around if they so choose to.

Wow...really?!...lol just -- wow..

Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
What kind of society are we going into where now we have "men" abused. Sure, there is "mental abuse" but hopefully a "man" would know when to end the relationship without getting his poor little self-esteem crushed. On the other hand if you are married to or in a relationship with someone who is physically abusing you and you can't figure out how to get away from that then you are no "man" at all. If these "men" are really getting beat up then a) maybe they should not be with or marry a physically overpowering female if they can't handle it or b) maybe they should hit the gym so they can at least handle being smacked around if they so choose to.

I see where that "clown" part in your name comes from. Maybe you should add "troll" to that as well.........

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,538,456 times
Yep, more than is reported. I really wish they would report it. I've known a few women who deserved to get their clocks cleaned.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 PM

15 posts, read 23,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrwinRoder View Post
I'm not sure if the abuser can be a woman. Never heard of this before but I have witnessed it myself two times.
Women can most definitely be abusive. Against children, an obvious example. It is harder to detect women on men violence, they are less lethal and less reported but they certainly are out there.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Anybody can be abusive...physically or otherwise. It's not connected to gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships