Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I once worked with this woman that was morbidly obese. I mean, I hate to be mean, but she was very very large, about my height 5'2'' and AT LEAST 300 lbs (in fact, I think she once told me she was 330). BUT she dressed cute for her size, and she presented herself nicely. Furthermore, she was OK with her size. Granted, I always felt that she should be concerned for health issues...but she didn't seem to care. Anyhow, she was funny as hell, and confident with herself.

...you know what? Guys LOVED her! Granted, the guy had to be OK with being with a large lady...but really, the amount of dates and a$$ she got was amazing! She dated nice guys, too...many were large like her, but still, she definitely wasn't going out with "scum" or anything.

Anyhow, this might seem silly...but I thought sharing this anecdote would perhaps help some of you believe that skinny or "traditionally beautiful" isn't always necessary.
If I were a woman with low self esteem, I would probably listen to this girl the most. She seems to have her own mind/thinking process, and is observant of things outside of what the media tells her to focus on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM

462 posts, read 968,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Ok, I know a lot of women, they are not super models, but they're very attractive and sexy. They have nice bodies (in my opinion).

But they hate their bodies...
What's up with that?
The more I know women, the more I think that the majority of women hate their bodies.

Everything...
facial features
breasts
tummy
thigh/legs
the garden (so many women find it ugly... that's totally stupid, especially when so many guys just think it's fantastic)

what is it?
and when will women become more intelligent about analyzing their body?
or we, as men, will have to suffer, because the woman is immature in her appreciation of her feminin phsyical features, we have to put up with her insecurity, her low self-esteem...

what's the deal?

my girlfriend has an awesome body, she looks great in a bikini and jean shorts, her breasts are awesome, the garden is beautiful, and yet all she can do is COMPLAIN!

tummy too fat, thighs too fat, knees look strange, arms are flabby, breasts average, etc...

she works out almost everyday! the woman has a body to die for...

the whole thing is totally ridiculous.
women need to get it together in their brains...
they can be really messed up
read the majority of the mens responses on here.... not hard to figure out

Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 PM

79 posts, read 286,452 times
I know it's hard ignoring men's comments, God knows I have such a hard time with that, but now I realize self esteem has the word "self" there for a reason...

Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingUgly008 View Post
I know it's hard ignoring men's comments, God knows I have such a hard time with that, but now I realize self esteem has the word "self" there for a reason...
Very interesting comment.
I'd like to tell you that whatever guys think is their problem, not yours.
And theoretically, this is true.
However, a politician has to care about what people think in order to get votes.
I care about what my boss thinks, because he will ultimately decide my pay raise.
I care about what my girlfriend thinks. I love her.
But strangers on this thread?
You can listen and be open to advice/comments, but you are the boss of your life.
Besides guys have tons of psychological baggage too - most likely they evaluate things based on their own personal perception, which is often flawed at its base (and all too often influenced by a far from perfect society).
I choose to concentrate on myself being mentally, emotionally and physically healthy.
If I depended on other people for my self-esteem, I would be often disappointed.
As long as I am happy with who I am, it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks.
The trick is to be honest with myself and face up to my imperfections, try to control what is realistic, and not run away from my problems.

And always remember...

You are the President and CEO of your own life.

Thanks to everyone who has made this such an interesting thread.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
A lot of women my age (college age), though attractive, sometimes extremely attractive, think they're too fat, which I would class as "hating their bodies". I can't think of why a girl with a BMI of 24 or 23 would complain of wanting to be "skinnier", except for media pressure and perhaps re-affirmation that she's NOT fat.

After all, most males do NOT want to date and marry a wire-thin supermodel.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
A lot of women my age (college age), though attractive, sometimes extremely attractive, think they're too fat, which I would class as "hating their bodies". I can't think of why a girl with a BMI of 24 or 23 would complain of wanting to be "skinnier", except for media pressure and perhaps re-affirmation that she's NOT fat.
Heck, mine is a little under 22 and I think need to lose weight. On one hand I know its not true, but on the other I can't help it. It's weird.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
I think allot of it is women fishing for compliments..

Another reason is women want to be universally attractive to everyone plus womens competitive nature to look better then other women..

You cant tell me a pretty good looking or cute women who gets hit on allot doesnt know shes somewhat attractive and thinks shes ugly but wants to be seen as attractive to everyone or prettier then most..

Dont blame men for the society..Sex sells more then ever so men in 6 pick abs are all over commercials so why dont you see as many men complain that theyre not mr six pack as women do not looking like a model?

Why do women feel the need of validation for society or the status quo more then men?

If you get compliments and have had enough men and women tell you youre attrtacive which most decent women looking get WHY isnt that enough?

Does everyone have to be attracted to you?

Dont get me wrong theyres womens with real self esteem issues but theyres also tons of women hiding behind that who are really self absorbed narcisists

Old 12-11-2009, 03:38 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt1980 View Post

does everyone have to be attracted to you?
yes

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
yes

Can you work with just 98.7%?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I think allot of it is women fishing for compliments..

Another reason is women want to be universally attractive to everyone plus womens competitive nature to look better then other women..

You cant tell me a pretty good looking or cute women who gets hit on allot doesnt know shes somewhat attractive and thinks shes ugly but wants to be seen as attractive to everyone or prettier then most..

Dont blame men for the society..Sex sells more then ever so men in 6 pick abs are all over commercials so why dont you see as many men complain that theyre not mr six pack as women do not looking like a model?

Why do women feel the need of validation for society or the status quo more then men?

If you get compliments and have had enough men and women tell you youre attrtacive which most decent women looking get WHY isnt that enough?

Does everyone have to be attracted to you?

Dont get me wrong theyres womens with real self esteem issues but theyres also tons of women hiding behind that who are really self absorbed narcisists
Cosign every single word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships