Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:56 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times

Advertisements

My husband thinks I have BDD, but I tried to explain to him that I think I have an accurate view of my body, I'm just displeased with it 99% of the time.

I also tried to explain to him the pressures I feel to look a certain way physically. Being very tall, I stand out. People notice and remember me, so of course I want them to remember me for having a nice figure as well. (We just had this discussion last weekend.)

Heck, there are so many facets to this issue for me. How much time do we have!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:59 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,394,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Scroll through this forum and you will see. The person above me put it very well. This forum is an EXCELLENT example of how men pick women apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Amen.
No kidding!

And another Amen!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This state of women's minds is their fault and theirs alone.

For the record, no dude cares about not looking like Michelangelo's David. I've seen the hottest women with ogre-like men, big, burly, bald and overweight. Women simply do not impose these standards on men.

But they impose too many restrictions on themselves.

And, ask any guy and he describes himself athletic, toned, muscular etc., and when you actually see the guy, he's a potato

But I have known several women who consider themselves average and if you're asking me, many don't look "average" at all, they are much better looking.
I do think it is up to the individual to build their self-image, but surely you cannot underestimate the effect that the media and advertising has on a person's mindset. Most people are affected without even realizing they are being affected.

Just look at how much TV the average person watches. What is it, at least 4 hours a day? Combine that with all the advertsing people see in magazines, on the internet, road signs, and the significance is undeniable. Businesses use advertising because IT WORKS. I doubt a business would spend millions in advertising if they didn't think it would persuade people to want to look a certain way, wear a certain thing, drive a certain car, etc.

Most women with healthy self-esteem are that way in spite of the media, not because of it. I am all for being proactive and changing your outlook, but I think you must first admit to what is affecting you.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:05 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,546,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My husband thinks I have BDD, but I tried to explain to him that I think I have an accurate view of my body, I'm just displeased with it 99% of the time.

I also tried to explain to him the pressures I feel to look a certain way physically. Being very tall, I stand out. People notice and remember me, so of course I want them to remember me for having a nice figure as well. (We just had this discussion last weekend.)

Heck, there are so many facets to this issue for me. How much time do we have!?!
My DH says the same thing about me. I am also very tall. I definitely have issues w/ my body image, idk if I have BDD, but I am forever trying to lose weight and well w/in the healthy BMI. I have been as skinny as 110 and at 5'11 that was very thin for me, those days are gone tho.

I also used to be a professional ballerina and the pressure to be thin was intense. Very intense. If I got over 125 I was called fat and I believed it.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This state of women's minds is their fault and theirs alone.

For the record, no dude cares about not looking like Michelangelo's David. I've seen the hottest women with ogre-like men, big, burly, bald and overweight. Women simply do not impose these standards on men.

But they impose too many restrictions on themselves.

And, ask any guy and he describes himself athletic, toned, muscular etc., and when you actually see the guy, he's a potato

But I have known several women who consider themselves average and if you're asking me, many don't look "average" at all, they are much better looking.
I would have to agree with this...It used to be kind of cute to hear women talk about their bodies' and then point to the things that they wanted your opinion on . But then it just got kind of old to have women who were already beyond sexy in one way, the other, or all, sitting around criticizing themselves. After a while I just began to think to myself: "You've gotta be kidding me."

Old 11-15-2009, 05:09 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,010,879 times
If we examine this in the context of culture, it's clear that this is a Western phenomenon that came out of American media. There is a pressure to look a certain way in the US since the late 1800s, about the time that women's magazines started circulating. If we look back to Victorian or even Elizabethan England, there's a similar pressure...just a different ideal.

But in some cultures, being heavier is equated with health and wealth. Especially among Pacific Islanders (Samoan, Fijian, etc). However, this acceptance has waned in the past few decades as these cultures have gained access to "InStyle" and "Vogue".

There are studies that examine how many images a female child is exposed to and how it impacts the self-image. By four years of age, most American girls are aware of their own bodies in comparison to their peers. Look at the toys little girls play with - Barbie? Bratz? These are dolls dressed in princess outfits and doctors coats and little girls idealize them. Huge, out-of-proportion breasts, flawless skin, tiny waist, slim legs. I want to grow up to be Barbie.

I look back at pics of myself as a teen and early twenties and I was cute! I wasted a lot of time on thinking I was "too much" or "not enough". Fortunately (?) I have the opportunity in my job to see people whose bodies don't work anymore, because of horrible accidents, or disease, or age. I have a GREAT body. All my parts work. I take great care of it now, too. It's a gift. When I hear a woman bellyache about this or that, I let it go for a little while, but then I say, you're right, your legs are fat, maybe you should consider amputation. A bit harsh, sure, but let's be thankful.

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 11-15-2009, 06:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, as long as magazines like Playboy and Penthouse remain big sellers some women will ALWAYS feel inadequate.

Don't get me wrong, women need to take responsibility for their own self-esteem, but men in their lives could help by not reinforcing the idea that Playboy bunnies are the ideal
EXACTLY!! I saw a study once that talked about the more teen girls are into entertainment the more likely they were to become depressed.

It's just a natural trait of humans were you compare your lot with somebody else, and if you can't measure up to it, you "feel" inadequate even though your not.

It's not to say that you can't strive to be a better more successful person but it's all about taking a healthy approach to it. I know because this person is me!!! I look up to super strong guys and I use them for motivation to train during days when I don't feel like it and so forth....

Old 11-15-2009, 07:28 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I will put myself out there and say I genuinely have issues with disliking my body and it's not because I am fishing for compliments. I do compare myself to women on tv, in the media, etc. and I know that I will never measure up, but I also compare myself to women on the street as well. I think its a self-esteem issue that is brought on by the media, but made worse by my own feelings of inadequacy. I DO think men judge women harshly and I often feel I don't measure up. My point in all this is to not assume that these women are manipulating you for compliments. I think women have a ton of pressure on them and I think that the media and many (not all) men make this harder. Women make it harder too. Women are hard on women. It's not easy being a woman in this society. I'm sure I'll get flamed and picked apart for this but it is a stuggle of mine and many women I know.
Miss I am the same way and have been most of my life.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,246 times
I was brought up to be look's conscience. When I was growing up, my parents never pushed me to get great grades, they pushed me to be thin, blonde, and popular! It's sad and it brought on every eating disorder out there, but it's what was important to them. Now that I'm an adult, I think it sucks that there was so much emphasis on my looks, but I understand that for woman, if you look good, doors open for you. Sad but true!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:58 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,412,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
Ok, I know a lot of women, they are not super models, but they're very attractive and sexy. They have nice bodies (in my opinion).

But they hate their bodies...
What's up with that?
The more I know women, the more I think that the majority of women hate their bodies.

Everything...
facial features
breasts
tummy
thigh/legs
the garden (so many women find it ugly... that's totally stupid, especially when so many guys just think it's fantastic)

what is it?
and when will women become more intelligent about analyzing their body?
or we, as men, will have to suffer, because the woman is immature in her appreciation of her feminin phsyical features, we have to put up with her insecurity, her low self-esteem...

what's the deal?

my girlfriend has an awesome body, she looks great in a bikini and jean shorts, her breasts are awesome, the garden is beautiful, and yet all she can do is COMPLAIN!

tummy too fat, thighs too fat, knees look strange, arms are flabby, breasts average, etc...

she works out almost everyday! the woman has a body to die for...

the whole thing is totally ridiculous.
women need to get it together in their brains...
they can be really messed up
Wow...

Maybe I don't get it, but you ramble off this meaningless drivel like everything you say is truth... but yet, when people refute your remarks, or try in some way to relay a point of opinion, you either don't reply or you step up on that horse way up there..

And saying stuff like, "women need to get it together in their brains..."

That's just absurd. Have some respect man..

And no, not all women hate their bodies. That would be like saying that all men love theirs.

Maybe, when women talk about their bodies, they are just talking. Simple as that.

There's a thousand different things that someone could mean when they say stuff like that. Maybe they are saying that you don't compliment them enough on how they look? Maybe they had a bad day? Maybe someone commented on it earlier on, and they felt hurt by the comment? Maybe, like a lot of men who wish they had six-pack abs, they are saying that they are just saying they had a flatter stomach, or more definition, or.. whatever.

And again, maybe they are just talking.

But to make that stereotype and calmly state that ALL women are like that? Or even Most?

Just quit complaining about it and get on with life.

Moving on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships