Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,403,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
LOL That's awesome! I didn't mean for ya to take all that time to look all of that up, but I really appreciate it!

For where I live, there's really not a lot of things like that here. I'm always looking for ideas like that that will help bring people together. We did a "geocache" thing not too long ago, and then set up a block party - but really, those are more one time events, and nobody really has a chance to get to know one another with them..

I think that what you're talking about would have something for everyone.. It's an awesome idea! I'll have to look up some more information on it and see what I can do.. it sounds like a blast!

Thanks again!
My friend, there is a hash for you!

Check it out and tell us how it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:27 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,406,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
My friend, there is a hash for you!

Check it out and tell us how it goes!
I saw that.. or rather, I saw something about it. It was in the Tulsa World, I bookmarked it in case if I ever got to go, but, unfortunately, I'm not in Tulsa anymore. Actually, I'm about three hours southeast now, and it's not always easy to get there.

There's one in OKC as well, but again, that's still a little more than three hours away. Right now, I'm quasi-living way out in the country, surrounded by little towns here and there. But, there's a great jogging trail that runs through the mountains, and my thought was to be able to start something like that there. If I get a chance, I'll go to the one in Tulsa or OKC to see how it works, and then try to get a "countrified" version of it down here..

Here's that article, in case..
Tulsa World: Hashing it out

Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,403,559 times
Quote:

I saw that.. or rather, I saw something about it. It was in the Tulsa World, I bookmarked it in case if I ever got to go, but, unfortunately, I'm not in Tulsa anymore. Actually, I'm about three hours southeast now, and it's not always easy to get there.

There's one in OKC as well, but again, that's still a little more than three hours away. Right now, I'm quasi-living way out in the country, surrounded by little towns here and there. But, there's a great jogging trail that runs through the mountains, and my thought was to be able to start something like that there. If I get a chance, I'll go to the one in Tulsa or OKC to see how it works, and then try to get a "countrified" version of it down here..

Here's that article, in case..
Tulsa World: Hashing it out
Great article -- thanks for sharing it! I especially liked this part:
Quote:
"I have to say, I've made my best friends through hashing. You also get to travel and see different places. My home hash, I wouldn't have seen parts of Izmir if I wasn't hashing. Same thing with Tulsa."

Meeting people and forming friendships seem to be at the heart of hashing.
I'd recommend joining their Yahoo group and getting in touch with the group "owner". Tell him you'd be interested in learning more about hashing, with a mind to starting a hash in your local area. There's also an email address and 3 phone numbers of people to contact at this link (scroll down to the bottom). The last update to that information was just last week, so it should be current.

Best of luck getting something going!

On on!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,939,958 times
Great list UB.

And, yet, there will be a lot of whiners who ignore this and then kvetch with some stupid thread titled, "Where have all the good men/women gone". Man, I hate those threads. The ocean is full of fish, you know.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,673,397 times
Quote:
As for the other, I'm curious.. I know that not every town has this, nor does every city.. but, how hard do you think it'd be to start something like this? It could become a great tradition, as well as a great way for someone with a little ambition to meet people..
It is great fun. The hardest bit is getting off the ground - you have to have a core of at least 5-6 people who'll then bring in new boots if they have fun.

Always bring flyers explaining who and what you are with you on the runs - a lot of people are interested when 15-20 people in weird t-shirts jog by yelling "On-On", blowing horns and generally looking as if a good time is being had.

As much as hashers like to pretend it's all about the beer, well-laid trails really make the difference. A good trail has everyone arriving within 10 minutes - the Front Running Bastards (FRBs) about to drop from exhaustion from devious checkmarks, obstacles, shiggy (mud) and false trails, with the walkers strolling leisurely in.

If everybody's new to hashing, keep it simple. Pre-lay the trail, so the hares can run along with the pack and try to keep a modicum of control. Also, having a hare run at the back of the pack gives him/her the option of pointing out shortcuts for the walkers. Always go for A-A runs - ie., end the trail where it started.

Mark the trail clearly. It's the checks and check-backs that make a devious trail, not hidden marks. If the fast runners aren't sure they're on trail, they'll fan out all over the place. You want them sprinting along the path you planned, convinced they're invincible, right until they encounter that check-back.

A beer check is a great way to gather the pack - put it around the 2/3rds mark. My old Hash had 'song checks" - gather the pack and sing along on an incredibly dirty song. (Or a clean song with incredibly dirty gestures.)

And if it all goes to h.ll and nobody knows where anyone is, the trail is lost and everybody's covered in mud - well, part of the premise is to not take it seriously. The hares will get what's coming to them at the circle...

Which is the 2nd thing to start out simple. Make it short and easy - the hares always get down-downs, as a matter of course. The Master of Ceremonies may have noted transgressions - being late, running in order not to be late, new shoes, athletic behavior on the trail, egregious shortcutting etc. - and if you run out of material, have the hashers nominate each other. When attention spans start slipping, cut it short.

Keep a roster of attendance - down-downs for 5, 10, 25 etc. hashes are always appropriate. Plus it's fun, 5 years and 250 runs hence, to see the beginnings. Once you get going, appoint a sociable character to the post of "Jointee" - that is, being in charge of making new members feel welcome.

With 5-10 runs under your collective belts, setup an away hash - go visit a kennel somewhere else, preferably one that has a special event of sorts. Great for inspiration, and for feeling connected to the entire hashing disorganization. (Notice that there's no central committees or offices or official rosters or anything. Rule number one: There are no rules.)

Go for it and have fun!

On-on!

Last Boy Scout

Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 PM

393 posts, read 1,493,266 times
Awesome list! When someone posts asking where/how to meet new people we can link to this thread.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,406,556 times
Ya know, the more and more I read about this, the more I'm starting to like it.. I think that I can get a couple people involved, not worried about that.. and I have a great idea as to where to do it at.. It's basically a walking trail that goes in a big circle around the top of a hill.. it's a great scenic place, and tons of people go there. I can't think of a more perfect setting..

It just sounds like a blast. I've always been into things like that, but I'm surprised I've never heard of it before - considering how big it is..

Anyway, great information!! Thanks for sharing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It is great fun. The hardest bit is getting off the ground - you have to have a core of at least 5-6 people who'll then bring in new boots if they have fun..... Rule number one: There are no rules.)

Go for it and have fun!

On-on!

Last Boy Scout

Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,937,261 times
Shove a salami down your shorts (front end). Note: This will probably not work for women.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,387,847 times
Hashes are hilarious. We have a bike Hash out in the middle of nowhere near lake Okeechobee. it's great, and worth it to come down for

Again, no great physical skills required. If you like to camp, eat and drink...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships