Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,364,909 times

Advertisements

I nominate this lady, maybe you guys know of other nominees?

(From the Ask Margo column)

Dear Margo: Can you give me some guidance regarding how to respond to a strange request? A friend we see occasionally got engaged six months ago. He's quite the social butterfly and has a ton of acquaintances. A couple of months ago, his fiancee sent an e-mail to 20 friends and acquaintances soliciting money for a surprise 50th birthday party she's planning to throw him! I casually ignored the request, assuming she would see the error in her ways. Well, she didn't, because she just sent out another request today that reads as follows:

"OK, guys, it's about that time to start gearing up for the Surprise 50th Birthday Party and ROAST. I really appreciate you guys wanting to help host this 'Party of the Year.' The budget comes out to be a contribution of $300 each. (It would have been more if we hadn't changed the event to a BYOB.) Please let me know when I can expect your contribution; the sooner the better so I can place deposits with the vendors."

Margo, she is incorrectly assuming that everyone wants to help host. Can you tell me how to respond to someone who has no manners, not to mention a clue? — Running from the Party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:05 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,199,030 times
omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmountains View Post
i nominate this lady, maybe you guys know of other nominees?

(from the ask margo column)

dear margo: Can you give me some guidance regarding how to respond to a strange request? A friend we see occasionally got engaged six months ago. He's quite the social butterfly and has a ton of acquaintances. A couple of months ago, his fiancee sent an e-mail to 20 friends and acquaintances soliciting money for a surprise 50th birthday party she's planning to throw him! I casually ignored the request, assuming she would see the error in her ways. Well, she didn't, because she just sent out another request today that reads as follows:

"ok, guys, it's about that time to start gearing up for the surprise 50th birthday party and roast. I really appreciate you guys wanting to help host this 'party of the year.' the budget comes out to be a contribution of $300 each. (it would have been more if we hadn't changed the event to a byob.) please let me know when i can expect your contribution; the sooner the better so i can place deposits with the vendors."

margo, she is incorrectly assuming that everyone wants to help host. Can you tell me how to respond to someone who has no manners, not to mention a clue? — running from the party

Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,330,962 times

Wow! Since I don't really know this person I'd probably send a rather sharp retort back to her. Her request goes beyond tacky.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,364,909 times
Some people just seem so clueless! In her response to the writer Margo said that lady sure had big brass ones!!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,635,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I nominate this lady, maybe you guys know of other nominees?

(From the Ask Margo column)

Dear Margo: Can you give me some guidance regarding how to respond to a strange request? A friend we see occasionally got engaged six months ago. He's quite the social butterfly and has a ton of acquaintances. A couple of months ago, his fiancee sent an e-mail to 20 friends and acquaintances soliciting money for a surprise 50th birthday party she's planning to throw him! I casually ignored the request, assuming she would see the error in her ways. Well, she didn't, because she just sent out another request today that reads as follows:

"OK, guys, it's about that time to start gearing up for the Surprise 50th Birthday Party and ROAST. I really appreciate you guys wanting to help host this 'Party of the Year.' The budget comes out to be a contribution of $300 each. (It would have been more if we hadn't changed the event to a BYOB.) Please let me know when I can expect your contribution; the sooner the better so I can place deposits with the vendors."

Margo, she is incorrectly assuming that everyone wants to help host. Can you tell me how to respond to someone who has no manners, not to mention a clue? — Running from the Party
6 grand for a birthday party!!! Wow!!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 PM

40,928 posts, read 48,890,118 times
Hmm.... that sounds like my wifes writing and it is about to be my 50th birthday. I wonder if that party is for me ? I can't imagine anyone not wanting to throw in a few measly dollars for a nice gift.

I'd do it for you.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM

51,921 posts, read 52,318,517 times
Tell her to go pound sand.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM

17,611 posts, read 22,537,231 times
Tell her, i have my own two peeple parties...ThankYou

Old 11-22-2009, 07:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,798,928 times
Just print off the e-mails and send them to her fiance who is turning 50. He should find out who she is marrying.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,475,611 times
Tacky beyond tacky and where were these people dragged up? The bottom line is that the party is going to be a no-show. Undeterred, the next invitation will be via email to the wedding asking for monetary contributions to cover the expenses as well as wedding gifts (and BYOB of course, but we'll provide mixers and glasses). Ultimately, emails will be sent out in short shrift requesting donations to the divorce expense fund because, "through no fault of our own, the massive house we bought thanks to your donations is in foreclosure and the attorney fees are very expensive. We know you will understand."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships