Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:42 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times

Advertisements

Abit of an awkward situation. Lets just say a health store I go to once or twice a month, one of the male staff there is being overly friendly to me.
He is clearly gay. At this point have said nothing as its too awkward.
What would you say to stop his subtle advances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Tell him about your GF, or just walk away.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 AM

Yeah was thinking of doing that (GF).....

Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
i'd stop being paranoid, and stop thinking that every gay man is trying to hit on me, just because they talk to me.

in the same way that i don't think every woman is trying to hit on me because they talk to me.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 AM

bobman don't think its that, I have good intuition

Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,891 times
I would handle it exactly the same way I'd handle it if a woman I wasn't interested in was being flirty with me. I'd be polite, but not lead him/her along. If his "advances" become less subtle or he asks you directly, I would simply say I'm not interested. But if it's just harmless flirting I don't see any problem with it really, nor do I see any need to declare your lack of interest unless pressed to. You might just end up making a bit of an ass of yourself, y'know? There's a chance the guy doesn't actually have an interest in you and would relish the opportunity to tell you so if you go rejecting him before he makes any kind of declaration.

My feeling is that if someone finds you attractive it's a pretty big compliment, even if the attraction isn't mutual. So I'd be nice, and feel better about myself in the long run.

So I guess my advice is to handle it the same way you'd handle it if a woman you weren't interested in was making "subtle advances" -- assuming of course that you wouldn't go out of your way to hurt the feelings of a woman just because you didn't share her attraction.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:18 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Maybe I am missing the big deal here, but, it's not like he is going to rip your clothes off and pounce on you in the middle of the store, Dave. Chill out, talk about a GF ["Oh, cool, I've seen this stuff, my GF uses it..."] - the worst that can happen is that you get dibbs on a special promotion or get a discount or two somewhere along the line.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:18 AM

751 posts, read 1,673,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Abit of an awkward situation. Lets just say a health store I go to once or twice a month, one of the male staff there is being overly friendly to me.
He is clearly gay. At this point have said nothing as its too awkward.
What would you say to stop his subtle advances?

It would depend on what theirr motivations are for being overly friendly.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
"Hey pal - I'm straight. No interest. So lay off the eyes, okay?"

Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
It would depend on what theirr motivations are for being overly friendly.
Why do people have to have "motivations" all of the time? Can't anyone just have a little crush or an attraction anymore? Women go through the same things with other women sales associates. . cripes. I just walk away smiling because I know it's because she must like my personality, face, boo-buh's, butt or something. Big whoop. It's a harmless attraction. I'm confident and secure in my sexuality. Those who question this sort of stuff should be as well. If I started wondering about other womens attractions to me, I would seriously wonder if they tapped into something within ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships