Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times

Advertisements

I used to allow myself to be psychologically abused. Not anymore. I mean that if it feels wrong, I stop doing it. If a person is a jackass to me, I stop dealing with them. Full stop. 20 years ago, I would have put up with crumbs from certain people.

Now it's pity and contempt.

There is something to be said about being older and wiser.

PS my husband has lost most of his British accent after almost 17 years here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
I used to find guys who did drugs to be attractive a few years ago.

Then I realized that I just found the idea of me saving them to be attractive. FAIL.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The accent is simply a by-product reminder of a relationship gone bad. I hope you can work everything out and, if the relationship isn't salvageable, then reach a divorce settlement amenable to both of you. Good luck!
Yes, absolutely. There may come a time when I don't feel that way, but currently I don't even find it appealing. There isn't any way to salvage the marriage though, I think it should have ended long ago. The kids are so important in face I've considered moving closer to their dad so he can co-parent more, but his job situation isn't stable enough to warrant that. Also, there's the decision as to whether I think I could be happy wherever that is, I am only 35 and feel a stable home is just as important. We are both pretty agreeable when it comes to the kids, although an arrangement of visitation isn't a guarantee he will follow it.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:19 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I used to like marriage. But now--not so much.
awwwwww

Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I used to like marriage. But now--not so much.
I love marriage but chose the wrong person. If I only knew then what I know now.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Things that used to attract me but are now a major turn-off.
Ive been thinking about this since this thread was started. Cant really come up with anything that used to attract me in a woman, but now is a turnoff.

Oh, I know, Beer Drinkers. I used to think it was kinda sexy when a woman would drink beer. The good beer, not the domestic stuff you'd find in cans. Im talking a woman who knew her Newcastle, Bass, Czech beers, etc. Now, beer drinking women are kind of a turnoff to me. I prefer a woman who knows her cabernets.

Thats about it. Never had someone, or been involved with anyone who so eff'ed me up mentally so as to find what was once an attractive quality in them now become a "major turn-off".

Old 11-23-2009, 06:02 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,585 times
Long hair on guys. Loved it when I was a teen, but on guys my age (40), ick.

Also liked the bad-boy, hard-drinking, wild, crazy, unpredictable types...was married to someone like that for 12 years and got it out of my system. Now I prefer a stable, non-drinking, reliable, family-man type.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
For me it's an English accent. My ex is English and now I don't even want to hear it, because it just makes my skin crawl to think about being with someone like that again.
Oh, yeah, I love me a hottie with an English accent.. blond hair, fair skin, and a voice that rings like the angels.. And when she's got that mischievous gleam in her eye.. hell yeah..

er.. sorry 'bout that. I got a little carried away there.

Ya know, there's a lot of things that I used to find attractive but don't anymore.. I think it comes with growing wiser, and learning that a lot of superficial things really don't matter.

If a chick was hot, I was there.. now it doesn't matter so much. It's personality now, but back then all I cared about were looks. It's funny how time changes things..

Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
Sense of humor turns me on more now than ever before! I LOVE funny people and someone that can make me smile and laugh will win with me everytime. In the past I was more consumed on looks.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:07 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
There was a time when I enjoyed a nice mixed drink with gin, but no more!!! YIKES! One can have too much of a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships