Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
LOL....Blinkers would come in handy for Black Friday shopping at the mall!
So true!

Have any of you noticed that Thanksgiving has been bypassed and upstaged by Black Friday? I mean, should we even bother with Thanksgiving anymore? It seems that this whole holiday has turned into nothing more than an advertisement for Black Friday and the anticipation thereof.

Hence forward the new schedule of holidays will be:

Valentine's Day
Easter
St. Patricks Day
4th of July
Black Friday
Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Yeah, it's irritating that the Christmas stuff started going up in stores before Halloween was even over, and on November 1, the Christmas retail machine got turned up to 10.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yeah, it's irritating that the Christmas stuff started going up in stores before Halloween was even over, and on November 1, the Christmas retail machine got turned up to 10.
I know! Ugh!!! I walked into a store in the MIDDLE of October and they already had Christmas gifts out!!! Acckkk!!! I love the holidays but I swear every year it's getting to be sooner and sooner that they switch out the old holiday for the new....

Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Stay the hell out of the left lane if you plan on going through life with your blinkers on!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
So true!

Have any of you noticed that Thanksgiving has been bypassed and upstaged by Black Friday? I mean, should we even bother with Thanksgiving anymore? It seems that this whole holiday has turned into nothing more than an advertisement for Black Friday and the anticipation thereof.

Hence forward the new schedule of holidays will be:

Valentine's Day
Easter
St. Patricks Day
4th of July
Black Friday
Christmas
Oh, but don't forget those three all-important days: Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Columbus Day, the days Americans celebrate the people and events that shaped their country's history by shopping for new appliances.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh, but don't forget those three all-important days: Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Columbus Day, the days Americans celebrate the people and events that shaped their country's history by shopping for new appliances.
Oh yeah - forgot about those.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:54 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I have what one can call a laissez-faire attitude. i don't care what others do, unless it negatively impacts on my life.

are persons happier and healthier, if they focus on their own goals/wishes/needs, instead of worrying about what others do?
Pretty small view of things IMO. Hey the neighbors kid is starving but my belly is full so what do I care.
So some other country is doing something that's risking the entire planet. I'm alive and well and benefiting from everyone who does care and is willing to work to do something about it.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Pretty small view of things IMO. Hey the neighbors kid is starving but my belly is full so what do I care.
So some other country is doing something that's risking the entire planet. I'm alive and well and benefiting from everyone who does care and is willing to work to do something about it.
It simply means focusing on your own needs and letting others live how they want to live.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:28 PM

20 posts, read 13,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I have what one can call a laissez-faire attitude. i don't care what others do, unless it negatively impacts on my life.

are persons happier and healthier, if they focus on their own goals/wishes/needs, instead of worrying about what others do?
Answer: YES

Blinders / blinkers....I don't know why people are poking fun at you for this, but I hear ya. I often believe that many of the shiny-happy people go through life with blinders on, choosing to focus on themselves, as opposed to being affected by what is in essence, a very cruel world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships