Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, but I am a realist. Or maybe really a pessimist.

I have an aunt who lost her husband at 49. While she had some guy friend in her later years, he wasn't interested in commitment. She is now 92 and alone. Never found anyone else.

I just think the deck is stacked against women at a certain age. Maybe it's just better to accept certain things? I've experienced the situation firsthand - older attractive guy wants woman ten or twenty years younger. Older attractive woman either has to find someone twenty years her senior (which makes him pretty darn old) or get used to popcorn on Saturday nights.
Funny...I'm in my late 40s, live in a college town, go to school, and have to beat younger guys off with a stick when I go out with my friends (and trust me, there are plenty of 20 something year old women in this town). Most recently, I dated a guy who is 32 and who wanted to marry me. I broke it off because of some tendencies of his which screamed "immature" to me...an inability to accept people without continually judging them based upon surface impressions being one of them.

I think that a person (male or female) who takes care of themselves, loves life and lives it too, will always be attractive to the opposite sex. Love is just a hop, skip, and a jump from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM

127 posts, read 312,004 times
After my grandmother passed away, my grandfather was alone for a few years when he met someone. He was in his 80's and his girlfriend was in her 60's. They were going to marry but she got cancer and died. I see people on the news all of the time, getting married at the nursing home, some are in their 90's and sometimes 100! Sometimes it happens when you think that you've given up on love. There is no age limit!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 12,422 times
there is no age limit; as long as there is life, there is love .. when your heart is filled with love, the longer you live, the more love you have to give .. desiring a companion to share so much love with in marriage is a natural kind of wonderful thing .. no matter the age .. don't you think?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
135 might be pushin it some.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM

61 posts, read 290,562 times
Default WHY be hung up on age?

I am turning 40 in 2 weeks and I pass for 25.
I will not limit myself.
If I am still alone at 50 I will marry someone 35 if I so choose.
Who says you have to marry someone your own age to find love?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
sometimes, op, you just have to cut your losses and look realistically at the situation. that 'there's a lid for every pot!' and 'love is possible at 60, 70 and 80 is a bunch of pointless garbage. it's usually spewed by people that are not in that situation and don't have a snow ball's chance of hell of ever being in that situation in the first place.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
sometimes, op, you just have to cut your losses and look realistically at the situation. that 'there's a lid for every pot!' and 'love is possible at 60, 70 and 80 is a bunch of pointless garbage. it's usually spewed by people that are not in that situation and don't have a snow ball's chance of hell of ever being in that situation in the first place.

Maybe but it is not age that is the determining factor.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
At what point should a person just accept that they might be alone the rest of their life?

The older one gets, the harder it is to make friends, let alone date, IMHO. The traditional venues for meeting people seem to go by the wayside, as people just get married and have children and get too busy in their lives - no more time for a lot of things.

I had a friend who told me that once she turned 50 the interest she got from men on dating sites just plummeted. After ten years of trying to find someone online she just ended up going back to her ex-husband, considering he was a pretty good deal. She was broke, in a lot of debt so she rang him and within a few months they were married again. He is an engineer and had the same job for 30 years, same house, no one in his life with a nice retirement. If you ask me, she was lucky he took her back, but I digress.

At any rate, I don't want to have to "settle," as they say, but I am thinking I will have to or just accept being alone forever. I am not into online dating and if I were to go this route, I think I'd lie about my age by a few years. I'd hate to get "screened out" due to a number.

If you've ever thought about just giving up, at what age might you do so?
Never give up. Look for venues for meeting women. Can your friends help? I've heard that women have had luck at church or other religious venues. Go to dance nights, like some cities/towns have a Swing Dance night once/month. Just go as a spectator a few times, you never know who will show up. Go to concerts and lectures and actually TALK to people there, instead of filing out in silence after the event is over, like everyone else. Take cooking classes--lots of women attend those. Go to bookstores, book readings, art show openings, the symphony. Get out and about, and talk casually to women, just to pass the time, just to be neighborly. Women are waiting for you to talk to them. You could be the catch someone has been waiting for. All you need to do is find her. Be friendly and approachable, wherever you go. Good luck. NEVER give up, you're NEVER too old for love.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Maybe but it is not age that is the determining factor.

It's age that's a determining factor if you ask me. A 20 year old shouldn't be throwing in the towel but 55 or 60? That's a different story. After so many years upon years of the same results maybe it's time to hang it up and accept what it is instead of what you keep wishing it to be, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships