Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablees8951 View Post
Maybe you should try telling him about a situation your in right now (even though your not but flip the situation into your own) explain that you just met this guy who is from a small town bla bla bla but your not sure if its you hes interested in or your money. Maybe by letting him point out that its a bad idea for you, you can then point out that you feel the same way about his situation. Its pretty twisted to do that, but some people need to see the situation under a different light. Some would say I'm crazy for recommending this but you dont' want to get in his face and then have him want to be with the woman just to prove you wrong. good luck with that!
Well, I can't really do that because I'm his sister and I'm married and he knows my situation. LOL But good try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
ummmmm, maybe it was a joke ??

Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM

440 posts, read 1,030,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, I can't really do that because I'm his sister and I'm married and he knows my situation. LOL But good try!
LOL nope nope that wont work huh! I tried! lol

Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Ok, I've got it. Kidnap him. It's the ONLY way. LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 12:45 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
This is always a difficult subject to approach with family members. Many relationships/marriages have taken place against relatives wishes so I don't know how much your advice will be heeded. He sounds like a smart guy and hopefully this woman's abrupt presumptiveness about marriage will be seen for what it is.

I would be there to offer advice, if asked. Otherwise, you could be setting yourself up for a fight. Best of luck!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
ummmmm, maybe it was a joke ??
No, it's no joke. In fact, this scenario has been played out with him before.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No, it's no joke. In fact, this scenario has been played out with him before.
And be sure and point that out to him when you talk to him.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,087 times
Well first and foremost, I think it's very sweet that you care so much about his well-being. You obviously think very highly of him and he's lucky to have someone like you in his corner!

I would be concerned that based on his past history, he is going to dive into something just for the sake of being in a relationship. That's not good. Now I can see the red flags going up with the marriage comment so soon into the dating but in his defense...do you know if they've talked about marriage? It's not completely out of the realm for two people to fall madly in love very quickly. Based on his history, and her apparent need to get out of the small town, they may have already discussed it.

That being said, it sounds like it would be a good idea to have a talk with him. Don't jump into the whole marriage comment thing right away; just ask him how the dating is going with this girl and move into your concerns about things moving too fast. You don't want to alienate him by coming off like you know what's better for him than he does. I would also be careful if you do mention that marriage comment because he could get angry that your parents are "gossiping" about him. Let him know that you care and just want what's best for him, then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
fair enough. my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And be sure and point that out to him when you talk to him.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Was it a dating site where he met her? If so, check to see if she's still out there. Hire someone, with a "background" better than your brother, to show interest in her. If she bites, show everything to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships