Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 PM

19 posts, read 19,236 times

Advertisements

I am an immigrant who moved to U.S four years ago and lost my legal status due to a certain situation( My fault) that rendered me effectively illegal for any official purposes. During that time i started exploring all my options to get back in uncle Sam's rolls as a desirable resident alien, as going back to my third world country as an option was off the table. The easiest option seemed was to dupe(off course with some mutual affection, but hiding my real need of paperwork) somebody into marrying me and getting the paperwork.
I started dating a smart seeing a beautiful,hardworking,unpretentious,christian girl(later realization) who always gives everybody a benefit of doubt.I led her to believe that i am open to idea of god( I don't believe in an idea of a omnipotent deity, But i don't mind other people's faith) and that we have shared values and goals and emotionally manipulated her into rushing into marriage. My plan was to divorce her once i get all the necessary documentation.
But three years down the road and after spending all these years with her , I realize that she is a wonderful human being(off course with her share of faults) and how woefully short I fall from commitment that she deserves. I have cheated on her and struggle with the emotions that i have sold myself short( i.e tied myself down and not really working towards my goals and aspirations in life which are markedly different from her ministry aspirations). I don't want to cause her hurt by divorcing her but I do want to be real and want her to achieve her full potential howsoever misguided it is(i hold her back by my Bible bashing).
Please let me know of any suggestions of how i can right the wrong i have done to her and also improve myself. I do know that i am a selfish human being and i rarely feel any guilt about cheating or lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
If you feel no guilt, why the need to "right your wrong"?

A piece of advice, just leave her alone.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
If you feel no guilt, why the need to "right your wrong"?

A piece of advice, just leave her alone.
Jays my guilt is not "what i have done" but more on the lines of "She doesn't deserve this", And I wish i could just simply leave her alone,But she has invested a lot of emotions and time in our relationship for me to just pack up and leave. I am torn about what is the right path to take...

Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exalien View Post
Jays my guilt is not "what i have done" but more on the lines of "She doesn't deserve this", And I wish i could just simply leave her alone,But she has invested a lot of emotions and time in our relationship for me to just pack up and leave. I am torn about what is the right path to take...
How could you even begin to right the wrong or improve yourself if you can't feel guilty about what you've done?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
Quote:
Well it seems quite obvious you aren't ready to commit to her. So just do the right thing and tell her. I would let her waste time investing anymore emotions.

People end relationships everyday. It's part of the risk you take.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
How could you even begin to right the wrong or improve yourself if you can't feel guilty about what you've done?
I feel a little bad about the decision i made but i wouldn't go as far as to say I am guilty about it. It was my only option (correction on my opening post), and no way I was going back to the sh*thole i came from.I do understand for somebody born here it is hard to understand and despicable thing to do, but Put put yourself in alien shoes and hopefully you will be able to understand it a little bit. I so wish she would have turned out to be mean and spiteful ...but alas...

Old 11-25-2009, 12:41 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
I feel a little bad about the decision i made but i wouldn't go as far as to say I am guilty about it. It was my only option (correction on my opening post), and no way I was going back to the sh*thole i came from.I do understand for somebody born here it is hard to understand and despicable thing to do, but Put put yourself in alien shoes and hopefully you will be able to understand it a little bit. I so wish she would have turned out to be mean and spiteful ...but alas...
You feel "a little bad" about intentionally deceiving someone for three years?

Wow.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Well it seems quite obvious you aren't ready to commit to her. So just do the right thing and tell her. I would let her waste time investing anymore emotions.

People end relationships everyday. It's part of the risk you take.
Thanks Jays , maybe i will write her a letter to explain myself if i truly decided to leave her alone...

Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
and no way I was going back to the sh*thole i came from
Since I haven't found out where the "Land of no smiles" is, where's that sh*thole you speak of? I'm looking for novel vacation ideas.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
You feel "a little bad" about intentionally deceiving someone for three years?

Wow.
What i needed to do stay here, I did. I cannot explain it within rigid moral guidelines and I am not sorry for it. I am just sorry that she has to get hurt.
I knew that beforehand that I will end up hurting her, I just wish she wasn't so good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships